Heat/Noise reduction in new build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Agent_Moler

Heat/Noise reduction in new build

Post by Agent_Moler » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi everyone, I've been lurking SPCR for awhile and decided it was about time to join up. My question for you guys is about how to reduce thermal and noise emissions in the new computer build im planning.

Currently, I have an antec p 180 with a corsair 520watt PSU, PNY geforce 8800gts with 320mb, C2D E6300 overclocked to 3.05 ghz, Zalman 9500 A, 3 sata hard drives, and a gigabyte 965 p ds3. This build is pretty quiet for the most part with it only really becoming audible in the hotter months but I have a REALLY big problem with my room becoming hotter when running my pc. I estimate the heat it throws out probably makes my room 5 degrees hotter! The room I'm running my comp in doesn't have very good airflow when the windows are open. It also becomes very noisy as I am near a main road, so I do not like to open my windows unless it unbearable. I was wondering if there is any way I can make my comp exhaust less heat while maintaining good performance and low noise.

I'm planning on buying a Q9300 in the future and a large heatsink to replace my zalman which will hopefully disperse heat better while keeping noise down. Are there any reccomendations for a powerful videocard that is efficient with heat and low noise? For a CPU, heatsink, motherboard and vid card I would like to keep the price under $700. Please recommend me something, the heat in my room is unbearable! :x

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:11 pm

I have exactly the same problem as you (small computer room next to noisy road) sadly the ONLY solution is to reduce the power your components use (that means overclocking is out of the question!). power = heat.

unless you really need quadcore i would suggest wolfdale E8400, in games it is as good or better than the quad. if you do go quadcore you will need to undervolt, you must get a motherboard that supports this (gigabyte boards tend to have good undervolting in BIOS). for GFX don't know if 9600GT will be enough for you but that has very low power consumption.

Agent_Moler

Post by Agent_Moler » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I figured I would have to do that. What do you know about the 9600gts? Are they on par or faster than the 8800gts? I was also considering getting just a dualcore but I figured the heat generated would be as much as a quad core since they are both using the 45nm silicon. Do you think perhaps changing the stock fans in my p180 would do any good? Or perhaps just disabling all by one of my fans?

ame

Post by ame » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:52 pm

Agent_Moler wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, I figured I would have to do that. What do you know about the 9600gts? Are they on par or faster than the 8800gts? I was also considering getting just a dualcore but I figured the heat generated would be as much as a quad core since they are both using the 45nm silicon. Do you think perhaps changing the stock fans in my p180 would do any good? Or perhaps just disabling all by one of my fans?
The fact that 2 CPUs use the same process (45nm) does not say anything about their power consumption. It would be like saying a 4liter engine SUV and a 1 liter mini use the same amount of fuel becaus they both use unleaded.

Turning down the fans will not change the amout of heat generated by the system. All heat will eventually transfer into the room's air. The only way would be to reduce the amout of heat the system generates in the first place - by not overclocking, undervolting, and using parts that procuce less heat.

Agent_Moler

Post by Agent_Moler » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:12 pm

I see, could you recommend a video card that would be around the power of a 8800gts but lower voltage?

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:05 am

Agent_Moler wrote:I see, could you recommend a video card that would be around the power of a 8800gts but lower voltage?
If you wait for a while you will know whether the new catalyst drivers will eventually fully enable powerplay and its voltage drop function in the new HD4850. Otherwise, I'd go for a HD3870. Prices should have dropped considerably already.

Frez

Post by Frez » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:05 am

Maybe a HD3850.

Have a look at http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354 for an idea of the power consumption of various cards.

You can compare that chart with http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gra ... 942-7.html for a rough guide on the relative performance of the different cards.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:09 am

I know this is probably a stupid answer but if you're happy with the performance of your computer right now, why don't you get an air conditionner ? I have no idea what the prices are but I'm guessing you can get one for 700$...
Once again I'm sure this is not what you want to hear... sorry... :?

Agent_Moler

Post by Agent_Moler » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:43 am

frenchie wrote:I know this is probably a stupid answer but if you're happy with the performance of your computer right now, why don't you get an air conditionner ? I have no idea what the prices are but I'm guessing you can get one for 700$...
Once again I'm sure this is not what you want to hear... sorry... :?
Hah, no its not a stupid question. The problem is I have central air in my house so I can not turn it on independent of the other rooms. Investing in an AC system just for that room (which is 10x10) seems like a bit of a waste.