Need Speedfan to Run at Startup

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AMDforlife

Need Speedfan to Run at Startup

Post by AMDforlife » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to quiet an office computer using Speedfan 4.34. It looks like I can lower the CPU and GPU fans using Speedfan just fine. The only thing is I want the computer to load these settings every time Windows loads up. Don't it manually every time will not suffice.

Does anyone know how to achieve this.
Thx in advance.

Windows XP Pro = O/S

kimx

Post by kimx » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:40 am

Try placing a shortcut to speedfan in your startup folder.

AMDforlife

Post by AMDforlife » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks for the tip. bud.

I forgot to add, I need to get Speedfan to load a "quiet fan profile" once ran.

I could do this very easily with ATi Tool when I owned an ATI radeon X800XL. It worked like a charm, running at startup, then auto-loading the profile.

I'm hoping Speedfan can do the same thing for me here.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:10 am

SpeedFan doesn't have profiles... just configure it the way you want it and it will function that way forever.

You can designate which temps (CPU, SYS, HD) you want fans to react to, what temperature they start reacting, which fans to do the reacting, mininum and maximum fan speeds, etc. If you're using the system in your sig, IRC, you can control 3 fans.

AMDforlife

Post by AMDforlife » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:57 am

Hi again,

No the system is not the one in my sig.

The problem here is the user who will be operating the machine from 9-5pm daily, will not be me. Thus they I will not expect them to open and operate speedfan.

I have plenty of experience with speedfan on my own machine and I must manually bring down the fan speeds every time I load into Windows. This cannot be the case when I hand the system over.

Modo

Post by Modo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:07 am

The required steps are described in the SpeedFan help. Start SpeedFan, hit F1, and read the "How to configure" section. You'll be most interested in parts 5 and 6, but I'd recommend reading the whole section.

AMDforlife

Post by AMDforlife » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Modo, thank you very much! I figured out how to get Speedfan to do exactly what I wanted. I should also thank kimx since adding Speedfan to the startup folder got me started. Then, I configured the loud fan to only run at 10% when below 40*C and less than 55*C.

This way my GPU fan (which was the issue) only runs at 10% (2400rpm) and very quietly.

I am very happy with the results.