Quiet file server

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

roflsaurus

Quiet file server

Post by roflsaurus » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:46 am

Hi,

I've been reading a while, and am now stuck as to where to go next. I've got a linux file server w/ 3 SATA Samsung F1 640gb drives in a RAID 5 config, and standalone 320g WD and 20gb WD IDE drives. They're running off a Corsair VX450 power supply which is nicely quiet.

However, they're all in a frankenpc running an old socket A Athlon 1300mhz processor, which has a very noisy fan. I'm looking at replacing the CPU / Mobo / Case to make a quiet pc. It doesn't need to be completely silent, but it's located in an office under a desk so it needs to be as quiet as reasonably possible.

I've pretty much decided on the P182 as the case, as it gets such a good review here. However, it's a little pricey, any cheaper recommendations? If I do get the P182, is it worth getting aftermarket case fans, or are the included ones quiet enough? And if I do get a low-power (or fanless) CPU + Mobo, can I unplug one or more of the case fans?

As for the mobo / CPU, I have no idea. The idea of passive cooling is appealing to me. I've seen some good deals on VIA chipsets on eBay, one of which is passive cooled : CN10000EG $AUS 200 inc shipping. However, there are a number of other VIA mobo's without passive cooling that are cheaper, but I've read some reviews that the 40mm and 60mm fans not exactly silent.

I can get a Via M10000 for about $100 inc shipping, or the VIA PC2500 for $120, but these include fans. The PC2500 is the best performer of the lot, with a 1.5ghz processor and two PCI slots. I would definitely buy this if I can make it quiet.

Is there an easy way to make these via chipsets quiet? Can you get quiet 40mm / 60mm cpu fans to add on to them? Or would something like the Zalman Fan-Mate come in handy?

If so, that's probably my choice because it's cheaper than a new CPU + Mobo. However, the fanless one might come in about the same price as a new celeron and mobo.

Therein lies my dilemma!

If I were to go for a separate celeron + mobo, what things should I look for? i'd probably buy an aftermarket CPU cooler as well, of which I've read plenty of good reviews here on. Could I get decent a decent passive cooling with a celeron? Or can I get similar results with a quiet fan and a Zalman Fanmate?

I won't have any of the usual Windows tools to control my processor speed, as I'll be running linux. However I wouldn't be adverse to changing the BIOS settings.

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:07 am

You could try using Dynamat to dampen the panels, then get a better CPU Heatsink + Fan;

An Athlon 1300 shouldn't have that big a TDP, so a small-ish modern heatsink should be capable. As far as I know, socket AM2 coolers have Socket-A compatible clips (i.e. the the plastic part of the socket didn't change much between A and AM2)

roflsaurus

Post by roflsaurus » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:26 am

I'll probably get the new case anyway, as my current one is an old generic whitebox which doesn't have much in the way of space for the hdd's i plan to put in there.

Do you know of any good SPCR recommended heatsinks that would come with the Socket A clips? I'll have a google now as well.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:28 am

Personally, I'd say ditch the old CPU. If you want a good quiet board, get the D201GLY2 as your base, and a PCI-SATA card for your extra hard drives (which I'm assuming, you already have).

Another option - Get a basic LGA775 motherboard (even an older i965 chipset will do) and drop a new Celeron or E2100 series in there. You'll have plenty of horsepower for the RAID5 parity calculations, and in my experience, the stock CPU fan is quiet enough when controlled by a good motherboard's fan controller.

As for case - I'd go for a Solo, but you'd probably be limiting yourself to 4 drives total there. I'd keep the F1's and the 320GB WD (WD3200AAKS, or an IDE version?) and ditch the rest. The power draw of those drives (not to mention the noise) isn't worth the added storage space.

roflsaurus

Post by roflsaurus » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:10 pm

I've just found a good deal on a Zalman CNPS7000B CPU cooler. I think I'll keep the old motherboard now.

I will need more than 4 HDD bays, as I think the file server will grow over time. That was the point of setting it up like this in RAID 5, when I hit the limits, I'll just add another 640gb drive. So that means I'm getting the P182 I think.

Also, Emyr, I don't think most AM2 coolers are backwards compatible with Socket A / 462. I think it's socket 939 that you're thinking of.

There wouldn't be any issues in underpowering the CPU fan would there? The Zalman comes with a Fanmate included. Also, the 182 has a fan controller included doesn't it? Should I be able to just underpower the CPU and case fans to quieten the system?

There won't be any significant load on the system, but I won't be able to undervolt the CPU as the motherboard doesn't support it.

roflsaurus

Post by roflsaurus » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:46 pm

Damn, checked my mobo when I got home and it doesn't have the right mount points for the Zalman. Looks like the old mobo and CPU have to go.

So now I'm deciding whether to get the fanless via CN10000EG, or whether to get a new Celeron and aftermarket heatsink and fan, and drop the fan speed right down.

Which do you you think is more cost effective, and bang for buck? The Via is $200 inc shipping, whereas the Celeron CPU will be about $60, an aftermarket cooler around $60, a quiet fan about $20, and a mobo about $80 - 100 (I think).

The downsides of the Via is that in future, if I want to transform this into a HTPC or something, I'll need to get a new mobo + CPU anyway to power it.