Silent HTPC build advice needed

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zeel

Silent HTPC build advice needed

Post by Zeel » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:12 pm

Hello SPCR,

been reading the forum and reviews for a long time, but never had any need to ask anything before. Guess there's a first for everything eh?

I'm thinking of building a HTPC that is going to be hooked up to my new Full HD Tv, and I don't have a clue as where to start. Onboard graphics or not onboard graphics, what kind of CPU power are we talking about, RAM size and such is just a big haze for me...

This unit is primarily going to be used for streaming video from my file server and perhaps some Blu Ray discs. So, it has to be able to play 1080p over a gigabit stream (from the server) with surround audio. I was thinking of connecting it to my old Logitech Z-5500 so I guess it has to be able to do 5.1 audio. I don't have any problem with built in gpus or audio, as long as they can do what I described above silently. Noise is a big no no, almost the most important factor, besides price (400-500 USD is the budget).

So, a lot of questions but atleast I've found a case that seems ok, the ANTEC Fusion Black. Good cooling, low noise and pretty easy to work in.

I'd like to thank anyone who has any input in advance, I really appreciate it!

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot! Which operating system should I use? I guess linux is easier on the cpu than say xp or vista? I'll probably end up using XBMC or something like that (I really like the modability of XBMC).

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi! and Welcome to SPCR!!

A good platform to play back 1080p is AMD's 780G chipset. Pair that with a 2+GHz AMD X2, 2GB of RAM, a Scythe Mini Ninja, and you're all set to go! The 780G + X2 combination has been tested to play 1080p without a hitch. One thing you did not mention is a hard drive. For this setup, I would recommend a 500GB Western Digital GreenPower. (WD5000AACS) This is a 5400rpm drive (rather than 7200) that offers enough performance for desktop use while significantly reducing vibration and noise compared to other 7200rpm drives.

This is definitely a cost effective and cool running setup. It will certainly meet your performance and noise expectations.

For an OS, I would suggest using a distro of Linux. Since you'll be using XBMC, why pay for Vista or XP? Get a Linux distro for free and then use XBMC! (sorry couldn't help it :oops:)

Hope this was helpful and Good luck! :)

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:33 pm

I built a system just a couple of weeks ago that meets just about all the specs you list:

Antec NSK2480
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
AMD X2 5200+ Brisbane
2GB DDR2-800
WD3200AAKS
Pioneer DVR-212D
Antec 380W PSU

It's not silent per se, but it's definitely quiet enough. I replaced the NSK2480 fans with Yate Loon low speed fans, and the next step in silencing the system would be to replace the PSU. The NSK2480 does a very good job of isolating the hard drive (and it's vibrations) from the rest of the case. The Antec Fusion is essentially the same case, only with the volume control knob and the display.

Have they actually got XBMC working properly (i.e. relatively stable) on non-XBox hardware? I've got an old XBMC (on an old XBox) running, and it's fantastic, but as many people know, the XBox can't handle HD material.

Zeel

Post by Zeel » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:42 pm

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

About the harddrive, I guess I forgot to sa that I have a few just lying around, various sises and types, so I thought I'd try one of those before I buy a new one.

The 780G has integrated graphics dont it? Will that chip handle the full load or will it need help from the cpu? Especially since it has to stream all thX videos?

XBMC is currently working, atleast on windows. A bit buggy and some features aren't exactly perfected, but it works good enough. And it looks a looot better than Win Media Centern:)

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:35 am

don't worry about the graphics - on the 780G it's pretty much an ati 34xx (minus the memory) soldered onto the mainboard, so a full HD blu-ray will need 0% of the CPU for decoding.

Read the link angelkiller posted for more details, or take the word of a 780G owner (me!) that all will be okay.

my system: GD02MXR case, 780G m/b, BE-2350, 2GB RAM (256MB set aside for graphics), compro e700 dvb-t twin tuner, 120W pico psu. I'm running Vista MC but I'm thinking I should have gone XP MCE.

Zeel

Post by Zeel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:46 am

Thanks quikkie, that was actually what I was wondering! So I guess a 780G is up to it graphics wise, how about Audio on those boards? On my laptop I have a Realtek HDA chip, but it suxx pretty hard, just one 3.5mm SPDIF out which has caused me some problems in the past :(.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 am

my Gigabyte 780G has realtek HD 889A and its damn good. Its better or as good than most of the entry level soundcards. Its clearly best the integrated audio chip I've had.

laptoplt

Post by laptoplt » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:22 am

Cool write up that many people will find useful .

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

I haven't had a chance to hook the system up to the Z-5500's yet, but audio-over-HDMI on the GA-MA78GM-S2H works right out of the box, so you can transfer the audio to your reciever without any troubles whatsoever. I need to find another optical cable to connect the TV to the speakers....(but they're bloody expensive)

I've had no complaints about audio quality or stuttering or hiccups yet, although I haven't had the speakers to "stress test" the audio chip.

Zeel

Post by Zeel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:34 pm

Nick Geraedts wrote:I haven't had a chance to hook the system up to the Z-5500's yet, but audio-over-HDMI on the GA-MA78GM-S2H works right out of the box, so you can transfer the audio to your reciever without any troubles whatsoever. I need to find another optical cable to connect the TV to the speakers....(but they're bloody expensive)

I've had no complaints about audio quality or stuttering or hiccups yet, although I haven't had the speakers to "stress test" the audio chip.
How do you mean you do audio over HDMI? As I recall there's no HDMI in on the Z550 reciever? Atm I use the optical out from my PC to the Z5500 receiever and video over VGA to the TV. My dvd don't have an HDMI (old one) so there I use scart and coax to the Z5500 for sound.

I guess my main problem isnt the audio chip on the Gigabyte, but the fact that that the Z5500 only have to digital inputs. Quite annoying actually.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:48 pm

Our TV has an optical output to connect to speakers or a reciever. We've got the HTPC and a PS3 both connected via HDMI to the TV, but because of setup issues with the PS3, only it is connected to the speakers via optical cable.

If I were to get the PS3 to transmit audio over HDMI properly, we could have the TV audio output transmitted to the speakers.

Device --(HDMI)--> TV --(optical)--> Z-5500

Zeel

Post by Zeel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Ah, I see. I might be completely off here, but don't you loose a bit of audio quality by routing it through the TV?

I use separate channels for all my devices, except my TV, that has HDMI in and optical out. The optical slot in the receiver is alreasy taken by my laptop, so I don't have any spare inputs on the reciever. By your reasoning I should (if my laptop had it) put video and audio in the same HDMI cable to the TV, and then the TV sends it to the reciever via optical, which would free up my optical out on the laptop. Am I getting it right?

What I don't get is how you plan on getting the second device, your HTPC, to get audio via the reciever? The z5500 only has one optical in dont it? If that slot is already taken by the tv... Or can the TV decode both your HTPC and the PS3 and send both signals by the same cable into the reciever?

PS. Its late here, if I sound confused thats probably because I am :).

EDIT: I just realised that your audio chip probably has an optical in, dont it? Then you can just decode the audio from the PS3 in the HTPC and then send both into the reciever ?

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:09 pm

The TV will send the audio associated with the currently selected input onwards through the optical cable. If you're watching TV, the TV audio will go to the speakers. If you've selected Input 5 (which is the HDMI from the HTPC), you'll get the HTPC audio to the speakers.

Since everything is selected on (and routed through) the TV, there's no need for a separate reciever. We might loose some audio quality, but I'm not really sure about that. Also - the room everything is setup in isn't build for high-def audio anyways. :P

Your idea regarding your laptop should work, assuming that you can get audio over HDMI working.

nici

Post by nici » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:20 pm

I have a HD4870, and an ASUS P5Q mobo with the integrated Realtek ALC1200 thingie. Out of the box, sound over HDMI worked perfect. Then for some odd reason it stopped working, or only worked in some programs, and didn't work after resuming from standby. Analog out always worked so not a codec issue. Have not tried since updating the bios, i just connected it via coaxial to the creative ddts-100 which is then connected to my amp which has no digital inputs whatsoever. With HDMI im limited to my TV anyway, unless i have it output it through optical like Nick.

As for quiet, it almost seems too easy nowadays. I have an E8400 and an ATI HD4870 in my relatively cramped OrigenAE S16 case, and the Enermax Po82+ and the WD GreenPower(sitting on foam) are the "noisiest" parts when doing something other than gaming. I got a T-Balancer to control the fans since i need them to work automatically and speedfan, at least on this mobo, was pretty much useless for anything other than on/off control. Also configuring speedfan makes me want to kill myself to death. Several times. The other, easier option would have been to just use the Reserator i have from a few years back. That should handle the GPU nicely, removing most of the heat from the case.

phistyle

Post by phistyle » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:09 pm

hmm...ill give some suggestions from a pc I just built 2 weeks ago..

-amd be-2400 $40 (45w, low power so won't generate too much heat)
-Ninja Mini $35 (I replaced the stock fan with a 80mm sharkoon silent eagle 1000 $13 or you can run the heatsink passively if you have good cooling in the case (very quiet 1000rpm fan running at max)
-DFI LP JR 790gx-M2RS $155 (great micro-atx board with the latest amd hd3300 very good for running hd content and playing blu-ray without the need for a video card)
or you can save money and get
-GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H $88 (micro-atx board also but has hd3200 IGX instead...same as hd3300 but just 200mhz less; still as good)
-G.skill 4gb ddr2 800 ram $65
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB $130
-not sure which case you would like since there are so many out there but I got a Lian-Li v350 for $120 which I think is a very nice, small, and attractive case
-plenty of good quiet power supplies out there seasonic, corsair, etc. expect to spend a good $100 if you want a good quality quiet one

that's near your budget but you can change out a few things as you see fit to save a lil more like gettin a cheaper power supply or a cheaper case, or less than 1 tb hard drive...