New System for Gaming - will it be quiet?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

FallenCipher

New System for Gaming - will it be quiet?

Post by FallenCipher » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:39 am

I'm planning to buy a replacement for my old instable Socket 939 System.

I'm not the Crysis Hardcore Gamer so it will not be Dual GPU Graphics or something like that.

So far i would get these parts:

Case: Antec P182
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 65nm
CPU Cooling: Scythe Mugen
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
RAM: MDT DIMM Kit 4GB PC2-6400U CL5 AMD Edition
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB
PSU: be quiet Dark Power Pro 650W
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA-II 500GB (from my current PC)
DVD-R/W: LiteOn LH20A1L DVD-Writer

Any suggestions for improvement? If you need more information, please ask.

Elvellon

Post by Elvellon » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 am

1) Why AMD? :)
2) I assume that the CPU fan will be temperature controlled, but what about case fans? Stock ones aren't the best, and even if they were, their "low" speed is too high.
3) The Radeon 4850 will get loud under load. I wonder if 9800GTX or GTX+ are quiet enough under load.
Maybe you can spend extra $20 on Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 and put it on your AMD graphics card. You can also attach a quiet fan to it or to the HDD cage.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:00 am

No, it won't be. An Athlon X2 6000 is a hot and power-hungry chip, and will all by itself pump out more heat than most of the entire systems on this site. This makes it very difficult to cool quietly, as well as killing your electric bill. You'll want to look for a Brisbane AMD chip, particularly one labeled with 45-watt TDP, or go for a new 45nm Intel chip.

For the graphics card, you'll probably want to look at a reference GTX260, which got a very positive review here. Anything else, and you'll probably be forced to upgrade the cooling system almost instantly.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:49 pm

X2 6000+ Will be quite quiet with Scythe Mugen anyway. True its hot and power hungry but many peoples still OC their Quads making them draw more power than 6000+ and they can do it quietly. The 120 W TDP is not power draw actually but the Thermal Design Power, while giving hint power consumption it is not 1:1.

If you don't keep your Game rig on 24/7 it shouldn't feel much in power bill, I think that Intel E8x00 would be better for gamers though.

HD 4850 can be quiet if you find proper version or Install Accelero S1 on it.