Looking for heatsinks... that match...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

that Linux guy

Looking for heatsinks... that match...

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Ok, I know this might sound really dumb, but I guess I'm just OCD or anal, or whatever you want to call it. I care about how the inside of my computer looks. I often pull the side off and stare at the innards, and I love showing friends the insides of it.

I've been shopping around for different heatsinks for some time now. I'm looking to replace the heatsinks on my Intel E8400, DFI LanParty DK P35, both of which I already own, and the HD 4870 I'll be picking up soon.

I don't necessarily have to have the heatsinks from the same brand, but I don't want one from Thermalright, another from Zalman, and yet another from Xigmatek.

I really like the Zalman 9700 and VF1000, but they're not the best performance for the money, and they're not very quiet with little to mod.

I like the Scythe Infinity and the Musashi, but the Musashi looks a bit weak for a 4870, and I'm wondering if the Infinity is even worth looking at with the other competition on the market. I've always liked this CPU cooler.

The best combo I've seen in terms of matching are the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 + Xigmatek Porter N881 chipset cooler + Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 with the black guards removed. I like the copper heatpipes with aluminum fins. Plus, it'll kinda match my OCZ Reaper HPC RAM.

I also really like the Thermalright HR-01+, HR-05, and Trad2. Of course, I'd be willing to also go with the IFX 14, and HR-05 IFX too.

I don't know. Can anyone help guide me in a decision? I know it seems very trivial, but it's important to me. Thanks for reading.

bgiddins

Re: Looking for heatsinks... that match...

Post by bgiddins » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:43 pm

that Linux guy wrote:The best combo I've seen in terms of matching are the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 + Xigmatek Porter N881 chipset cooler
I've got that combo - I haven't found the need for RAM cooling yet. Might add another directed fan to cool a motherboard hotspot (mosfets near RAM) before I add anything else. Holding a fan pointed at that area drops mobo temps by over 10 degrees.

maf718

Post by maf718 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:21 pm

I recently purchased my first Thermalright cooler (IFX-14) and along with the performance, the build quality and finish are superb, second to none. If you value these qualities, (and it sounds like you do), I would seriously consider limiting the choice to Thermalright products. As to which ones, that depends on personal preference and how well it fits your mobo and case.

I didn't know until now that a HR-05 IFX existed. Damn, I can see myself buying one next time I order some components.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:22 pm

that Linux guy wrote:Ok, I know this might sound really dumb, but I guess I'm just OCD or anal, or whatever you want to call it.
First I read your post, and then when I looked at your handle, I wasn't surprised.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:54 pm

get a case without a window.

close your case.

There they match.

At some point you grow up and realize bragging to your friends about the inside of your computer is a bit childish. It says more about your character flaws than anything else. Like overcompensation for lackings in other area's. (i always laugh and shake my head at guys that drive dodge ram 3500 quad cab dualies with 5foot lift kits)

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:52 am

m0002a wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:Ok, I know this might sound really dumb, but I guess I'm just OCD or anal, or whatever you want to call it.
First I read your post, and then when I looked at your handle, I wasn't surprised.
Lol, yeah, being a Linux user and studying to become a Linux/UNIX admin doesn't help my OCD any. Espcially when it comes to computers.
Aris wrote:get a case without a window.

close your case.

There they match.

At some point you grow up and realize bragging to your friends about the inside of your computer is a bit childish. It says more about your character flaws than anything else. Like overcompensation for lackings in other area's. (i always laugh and shake my head at guys that drive dodge ram 3500 quad cab dualies with 5foot lift kits)
Characters flaws or not, I am what I am. As I said in my original post, it's important to me. Whether you agree with it or not is all you. I didn't ask for everyone's opinions on whether or not it's childish to show of my hardware or not. I asked for a lil guidance on my heatsink purchase. I won't ask that you agree with me. All I ask is that you respect my right to have a choice. And I choose to care what the inside of my computer looks like.

And who in the hell puts a huge lift on a Dually? Too tall and you can't tow anything. I do see your point though. I personally think car customization is a great hobby, and an extension of oneself. If you don't believe this, than so be it. I'd love to debate these things with you, but this is neither the time, nor the forum.

trandy1001

Post by trandy1001 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:59 am

Personally I'd go with a complete Thermalright setup, I just love how well their products are made, how well they function and I like the no nonsense good looks.

They have coolers for freakin' everything. It's pretty daunting and likewise, pretty expensive. But that's the cost of the top.

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:00 pm

You have OCD? I have CDO. It is a lot like OCD, only the letters are in alphabetical order...as they should be! :wink:

Having seen Thermalright City, I'm amazed that you find the need to mix and match ... or maybe I misunderstand your query in some way.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:09 am

I definitely have seen Thermalright City. I love Thermalright as a company. It's arguably one of the most innnovative, the best performing parts nearly full-time, and top of the line quality. Unfortunately, their price is the only thing that keeps me looking for better bang-for-the-buck options. For the price of the HR-01+, Trad2, an HR-05 IFX, and HR-07 for the RAM, then I'm looking at roughly $170. Not to mention picking up some more Nexus fans. There's another $35. A slight bit more, and I may as well go with a nice water-cooling setup.

Honestly, my fovorite options listed are the Xigmatek/Arctic Cooling and the full-on Thermalright. I'm still weighing options, and wondering when I'll have the money for it all.

I've posted the same question at HardForum and MaximumPC and have gotten many different answers. Someone recommended Thermaltake DuOrb for both the CPU and GPU, but I've never been a fan of Thermaltake products, ever. They've had some good coolers, but that's about it IMHO. Most have recommended Thermalright, so I may just stick with popular vote.

I'm still taking suggestions if anyone would like to chime in though. Anyone have any experience with any of these coolers?

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:45 am

that Linux guy, I know what you mean by caring how your computer looks and wanting to get things just right. (However, I never invite others to glance upon my computer. That's not my cup of tea.) Even though it is a functional item and for the most part hidden away on a floor, it is still important to me that it meets my personal standards aesthetically as well as functionally. Those parts inside your computer need to get along with each other and you need to get along with them. For instance, if you had a Xigmatek CPU HS, a Thermalright NB HS, and a Zalman GPU HS, who knows, if they might have a little brand war in there? Heat dissipation, temperatures and most importantly, acoustics may suffer as a result. Aesthetics too. :roll:

I can't really help you that much as to which heatsinks you should get as I don't have the hands on experience with any of them yet: I'm still in the process of completing a new build myself. Mine is a much lower spec' than yours, but I'm also considering retiring (throwing out in old cardboard box never to be seen or used again) the stock chipset heatsinks on my motherboard and replacing them with better coolers. Or at least reseating them with better TIM.

Good aftermarket heatsinks aren't that expensive anymore. They are still quite pricey in price gouging Australia however. You will find much less financially burdening prices in the US and many other parts of the world. Go with known quantity, quality, easily sourced, affordable parts approved by SPCR users, rather than the performance at all costs crowd.

An all Thermalright system worries me a bit though. While TR Mini Cities® in computer cases may look oh so cool/imposing/impressive/ghastly/offensive/etc (take your pick), all that weight hanging off a motherboard especially in a tower case can't be good. That's just me however. Others will argue forever that there's no harm done. I prefer lighter weight solutions. However, this is often unavoidable or at least a compromise.

Somehow, I can't help but think that an all Thermalright, all Noctua, or all Xigmatek configuration is just another reflection of the taking sides mentality we see with motorcars, sporting teams, sports gear, audio gear, CPUs, OSs, bread... pretty much anything you might think of. But... if several known quality same brand parts happen to work well together, hey,--go right ahead. It's a great convenient excuse. It doesn't necessarily make one a fanboy. BTW: fanboy is such an offensive word, especially when one directs it at himself.
Last edited by Shamgar on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Another problem with the thermalright city concept is that all those bulky heatsinks are going to restrict airflow inside the case.

I can certainly relate when it comes to consistency in the interior. I`m leaning towards the skythe ninja & accelero combo. Their aluminium fins have pretty similar texture. So do xigmateks.

Another option is to go for the copper looks though it looks best on blue pcbs.

I really wish there was a decent intel board with a red pcb...