Core i7 setup noisier?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

comomolo

Core i7 setup noisier?

Post by comomolo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:52 pm

I just set up a system based on the Core i7 920. I used a Xigmatek S1283 cooler with a Nexus fan on it, another Nexus 120 mm exhausting air from the case (Antec NSK6580) and a Nexus 92 mm fan at the front. All fans are running at 7 V.

I've been using a very similar setup for "older" Intel CPUs (Q6600 and Q9550 mostly) with pretty quiet results for a workstation, but this Core i7 setup is being noticeably noisier. The graphics card (ATI FireGL V5600) is a bit noisier than the gaming Nvidias I've used before in my workstations, but after close inspection it looks like most of the noise is coming from the PSU. I've tried both the stock Antec 430 W PSU as well as a 600 W OCZ one I had lying around in my workshop, with similar results.

I've been checking the power consumption and it doesn't seem to be that different from the Q6600 (120 W at idle, 245 W at full load plus graphics and disk stress).

Has anyone any similar experience with the Core i7?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:30 am

Hiya,

Can you stop the GPU fan, or try another video card temporarily? Another thing to try is to duct the PSU so it gets cooler outside air directly.

I don't think that the specific generation of the CPU will matter.

comomolo

Post by comomolo » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:26 pm

I've stopped the fan cooler with my finger a few times and it's not responsible for the bigger part of the noise.

Ducting the PSU is an interesting idea. I'll see if I can find an easy way to do it (I build MANY workstations so it must be something I can replicate easily).

Thanks for the hint.

biatche

Post by biatche » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:22 pm

go to your bios and disable C1E until they fix it if itll ever get fixed

Hellspawn

Re: Core i7 setup noisier?

Post by Hellspawn » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:41 pm

HI - I take it that you have the new Xigmatek crossbow mounting hardware for that mobo and the 1283? Where did you find it?

comomolo wrote:I just set up a system based on the Core i7 920. I used a Xigmatek S1283 cooler with a Nexus fan on it, another Nexus 120 mm exhausting air from the case (Antec NSK6580) and a Nexus 92 mm fan at the front. All fans are running at 7 V.

I've been using a very similar setup for "older" Intel CPUs (Q6600 and Q9550 mostly) with pretty quiet results for a workstation, but this Core i7 setup is being noticeably noisier. The graphics card (ATI FireGL V5600) is a bit noisier than the gaming Nvidias I've used before in my workstations, but after close inspection it looks like most of the noise is coming from the PSU. I've tried both the stock Antec 430 W PSU as well as a 600 W OCZ one I had lying around in my workshop, with similar results.

I've been checking the power consumption and it doesn't seem to be that different from the Q6600 (120 W at idle, 245 W at full load plus graphics and disk stress).

Has anyone any similar experience with the Core i7?

comomolo

Re: Core i7 setup noisier?

Post by comomolo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:56 am

Hellspawn wrote:HI - I take it that you have the new Xigmatek crossbow mounting hardware for that mobo and the 1283? Where did you find it?
I live in Spain and I bought it here:

http://www.ibertronica.es/cgi-local/tma ... #[desc0138]
biatche wrote:go to your bios and disable C1E until they fix it if itll ever get fixed
Can you please elaborate? What's that C1E and what are they supposed to fix?