Noctua NH-U12P or Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with Scythe Slip Stream

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alcachi

Noctua NH-U12P or Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with Scythe Slip Stream

Post by alcachi » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi,

I am considering which would be the best solution in terms of noise and durability for a cooler for a Intel E5200:

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 + SCYTHE SLIP STREAM SY1225SL12M (31+9=40€)

or

Noctua NH-U12P (55€)

In the case of the Noctua I have seen the reviews but I don't know how well the Scythe slip stream will do with the Xigmatek in terms of noise and durability.

I hope you can help me to decide.

Thanks in advance.

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:28 pm

Have you thought about getting the Noctua NH-U12P with this fan included?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835608004

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:34 pm

The included fan with the Xigmatek S1283 is quiet if you leave it on PWM... mine's running at 1400RPM (no PWM) and is still tolerable (I find it drops the mobo temps about 6C by doing this!).

alcachi

Post by alcachi » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:16 am

I have to investigate if my Gigabyte EP45-DS3R motherboard supports PWM (a few googling seems to indicate that it has) in that case I would get the Xigmatek because currently the temperature is not a problem in my E5200 (with stock fan at 870RPM CPU is 24ºC).

About the Noctua I am looking at the one that already includes the NF-P12 fan, what I don't know is if Noctua with NF-P12 is more silent than Xigmatek with Slip Stream, or if Xigmatek with stock fan and PWM will just be as silent.

Thanks

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:01 am

alcachi wrote:I have to investigate if my Gigabyte EP45-DS3R motherboard supports PWM (a few googling seems to indicate that it has)
I can confirm that it does. I have the same board, and according to p24 of its user guide, the CPU and SYS2 fans are PWM while the SYS1 and PWR (PSU monitor) headers aren't.

alcachi

Post by alcachi » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:16 am

It seems that my motherboard (GA-EP45-DS3R) only supports PWM (they drop support for standard voltage controlled 3 pin fans!).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25469 ... imum-speed

This would mean that I would have no fan control for both Noctua NF-P12 and Slip Stream since these aren't PWM. Am I right?

alcachi

Post by alcachi » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:25 am

KlaymenDK, I am just looking at the page you mentioned and I am surprised to see that the PIN layout of CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN2 are different.

As a reference to others I include here the layout shown in the manual (Pin No. and Definition):
CPU_FAN:
1 GND
2 +12V
3 Sense
4 Speed Control

SYS_FAN2:
1 GND
2 Speed Control
3 Sense
4 +5V

I do not understand why the second one (SYS_FAN2) has a different layout with difference between pins 2 and 4. Besides if SYS_FAN2 only uses +5V it means it will no be able to run a case fan full speed.

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:31 am

alcachi wrote:It seems that my motherboard (GA-EP45-DS3R) only supports PWM (they drop support for standard voltage controlled 3 pin fans!).
Say what now, are you sure? :shock: I've got the rev.1 board, and as you can see in this pic they do have both kinds. What's your revision?
alcachi wrote:This would mean that I would have no fan control for both Noctua NF-P12 and Slip Stream since these aren't PWM. Am I right?
Yes, you're right in the respect that you won't be able to control those fans, but your bios or software will be able to control PWM fans if you can get those instead. I don't have any experience with them, and they seem to be rare in silent pc reviews.

alcachi

Post by alcachi » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:27 am

Mine is also rev 1.0 and also has both type of connectors. The problem occurs when you connect a 3 pin fan in the CPU_FAN plug (using pins 1-3). In this case it seems that in other Gigabyte models the BIOS is able to control the fan regulating the voltage but in our model they removed that feature so it will only control PWM fans.

It seems the reason could be they removed some of the required hardware to do this control or that they simply removed this feature from BIOS. Interestingly enough the EP45-UD3P board is able to do that and it seems both models are very similar.

In any case the stock fan that came with my Intel E5200 processor has PWM and it is working at only 873 RPM and it is difficult to hear it.