Zalman CNPS9700NT running at 2800 RPM causing noise

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Swedrive

Zalman CNPS9700NT running at 2800 RPM causing noise

Post by Swedrive » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:52 am

Hello,

I've bought a new computer and I installed it yesterday. It's running well so far but I'm very disappointed with the noise level! I've opened the case to locate the sound(s) and I found that the cpu fan is moving pretty fast, so I downloaded Everest and apparently the cpu fan is running at ~2800 RPM. I checked the temperatures and the cpu temp is around 39-41°C in Windows with case closed and everything.

There's this specific sound that bugs me, it's piercing and cutting through my ears. I can't really describe it. It is as if a fan is struggeling a bit... The original case fans make sound too but it's more of the normal, softer, 'moving air' noise. I'm thinking it is the cpu fan but I can't tell for sure, it's hard to hear it closer to the computer for some reason.

I'm pretty clueless to what to do with the cpu-fan - it's supposed to automatical change it's speed, but isn't it running too fast for ~40°C or am I wrong?

I've tried to google for same problem but I haven't found anything interesting, could as well be me using wrong words... Basically I want the system quiet - what can I do?

Posting the system below, I appreciate any other tip and hints as well. Cheers :)

CASE: Antec P182B
PSU: CORSAIR TX 650W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V
MB: Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9950 125W
CPU-FAN: Zalman CNPS9700NT Ultra Quiet
RAM: 2x Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2 4096MB CL5 Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's
GPU: Asus GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 2.0 "Dark Knight"
HDD: Western Digital Caviar GP 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
FRONT-FAN: Scythe S-FLEX 1200 120mm 1200rpm 20.1dbA 49.0CFM 0.15A
(I have installed an extra fan in the front as an intake)

Swedrive

Post by Swedrive » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:25 am

I've downloaded Speedfan and found something weird. I don't know if it's something worry about but anyway;
Speedfan detects some part that is 63°C. I can't find that in Everest :?
I opened the case and can't find any part that hot... Could it be that Speedfan is wrong? Which one do I trust?

merlyn
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by merlyn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:20 am

that 'could' be a VRM but sometimes speedfan just finds sensors that it doesn't know the calibration for. personally i'd ignore it.

first step for me would be to go into the BIOS and make sure that cool'n'quiet and q-fan are enabled. ensure the cpu fan is connected to the right header on the MB.

Swedrive

Post by Swedrive » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:54 am

I feel confident that I placed the fan in the right header but I will re-check once I post this.
EDIT: I'm sure it's placed right. It's a 4 pin and its connected to a 4 pin. It says CPU FAN next to it on the mb next as well. There's no other options.

I'm totally useless inside BIOS, but I managed to find this:

CPU Configuration >

Secure Virtual Machine Mode ENABLED
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet Function DISABLED
ACPI SRAT Table ENABLED
Processor Downcore DISABLED
AMD Live! DISABLED

I changed it into:

Secure Virtual Machine Mode ENABLED
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet Function ENABLED
ACPI SRAT Table ENABLED
Processor Downcore DISABLED
AMD Live! ENABLED

The cpu fan is still doing 2800 RPM. But the cpu temps seem to have fallen :? Could as well be because it was off for a while.

By the way I seem to have another problem with the screen not turning on. Sometimes when I power up the computer it remains in a stand by status, I usually wait and press Ctrl Alt Del to wake it up when I'm confident I've waited long enough for Windows to have been loaded. My screen is 3 years old and has a old cable, so I'm using an adapter in between the gpu and screen. Any idea what the problem is?

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:52 am

Usually, ASUS Q-Fan sits under "Haredarw Monitor" submenu in bios. Enable and change it to "silent."

Swedrive

Post by Swedrive » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:11 am

loimlo wrote:Usually, ASUS Q-Fan sits under "Haredarw Monitor" submenu in bios. Enable and change it to "silent."
That's it! It's down to ~2150 RPM and it's a lot better now. Thank you very much :D