P182 + Gigabyte Mobo + Front USB = Computer Won't Turn On

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

seasponge

P182 + Gigabyte Mobo + Front USB = Computer Won't Turn On

Post by seasponge » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:49 pm

As the subject says...when I have the front usb header (there are two headers, I get the same behavior regardless which one I plug into) on my Gigabyte EP45-DS3L motherboard connected to the lead from my Antec P182 my computer will not start...I get nothing. Unplug it and everything works just fine. Anyone experienced this before or have any ideas? I searched on google for people having similar problems but couldn't find any other cases of this

by the way..I compared diagrams from the mobo and case manuals, they share the same pin assignment--intel standard. :x

Riffer

Re: P182 + Gigabyte Mobo + Front USB = Computer Won't Turn O

Post by Riffer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:45 pm

seasponge wrote:....
by the way..I compared diagrams from the mobo and case manuals, they share the same pin assignment--intel standard. :x
Well that's my suggestion shot :)

There I something else you can try, like unplugging the ground pin. I can't remember exactly, it's been a few years since I had to trouble-shoot this.

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:28 am

You're not plugging the firewire or audio cable into the usb port are you?
I know, of course not...but go look and make sure.

:D

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:03 am

Fixed a machine recently with a similar problem (although that one got as far as POST) and the issue turned out to be that the front USB port itself was damaged and two of the pins were shorting. If you have a multimeter it's worth a shot testing it - which is easiest to do from the mobo plug end. Failing that you could rig up a simple continuity tester, or even just try a rear USB bracket in place of the front port connector. Good luck.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:43 am

if USB ports are shorted, go for Antec RMA and they'll deliver you free module with front ports. I got mine less than a week after RMA'ing when the plastic guide broke one of the USB ports same day I started using the case.

seasponge

Post by seasponge » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:48 pm

thanks for all the tips, all good ideas. i don't have access to a multimeter right now nor a usb backplate (sheesh). i bought the case used so i dont know if i can still rma anything?

zoocey

Post by zoocey » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:24 am

Assuming your USB Ports are otherwise undamaged, i.e. they work correctly in whatever OS you use. Then try setting "Legacy USB Storage devices" to Disabled in the bios. Its a fairly common issue with many P35/P45 GB boards.

seasponge

Post by seasponge » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:24 pm

hey, thought I would give an update.

I tried disabling Legacy USB Storage in BIOS to no avail. I guess I either have a case of bad connectors on the case or its leads or a misbehaving mobo. I'm going to put this issue on the backburner for now, unless someone suggests something else, as I don't have an easy way to test the connectivity side of things.