Critique on development workstation/server

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fusioned

Critique on development workstation/server

Post by fusioned » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:19 pm

I'm planning on building a development/testing server that I will be using headless - it would be accessed mainly via the console, and will also act as a file server. It would also be permanently connected to the internet to act as a subversion repository for my work, especially when I'm out of the place roaming.

Because it would be on 24/7 (which would also be great as a torrent server!), this setup has to be pretty efficient and especially quiet since I would initially have it in the same room as my bed, yet still have enough grunt that those PHP/MySQL queries can be dealt with quickly enough whilst testing.

I've managed to reduce it down to this setup:
  • Antec Mini P180 case
    Corsair CX400W PSU (CMPSU-400CXUK)

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 (AMD 740G motherboard)
    Athlon AM2 X2 4850e (is the 5050e worth the extra few bob?)
    Noctua NH-C12P heatsink
    Crucial DDR2 PC5600 2 x 2GB (already have)

2 x 750GB Western Digital WD7500AACS Caviar Green for RAID1

120mm Sharkoon 2000 "golf ball" case fan (heard good things about this)
    120mm Thermalright FDB @ 1000rpm case fan (rebranded sony fan, I'm assuming it is similar to the S-FLEX fans but £1 cheaper!)

+ some silicone pins / fan mounts
For the sake of access (as I've found in the past that having these were far more useful than not) -
  • Pioneer DVR-216DBK DVD RW drive
    Floppy drive with card reader
Total cost works out to be around £500 including delivery.

Now, I might not need both case fans, but I might swap one of the ones in my current desktop out since the Pabst is rather audible.

I plan to setup Ubuntu server on this system. I may one day decide to operate a VM on this. I may also one day decide that I want to use xwindows hosted on this system over the network. I might also one day decide to attach a monitor to this and use synergy with it, but anyway this is another topic altogether.

I will be purchasing my components from ebuyer and scan.co.uk, so if anyone suggests something, it'd have to be available from them!

Any comments on this setup? Are there other good alternatives i.e. to the Corsair PSU ? I did have a concern that the power supply unit is not as efficient as some of the others at the idling power usage (between 40-60 watts is my estimate based on what I have read?), but I am constrained by the selection available in the aforementioned e-tail shops.
Last edited by fusioned on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

clalor

Post by clalor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:24 pm

I put a 330 W Seasonic in my system, which is overkill in my server based on the power draw I've measured so far (very similar setup to yours, check out the RAID server in my signature). I was going to suggest the 380 W Seasonic S12 II that Scan carries, but that only gets you into the 80 Plus rated territory 4 W sooner, which probably isn't worth the £10 premium over the the Corsair PSU.

I'm only running one fan in the upper compartment of my P180 Mini, a 120 mm S-FLEX D @ 12 V for exhaust, and temperatures seem to be okay. However, two of my three hard drives are located in the lower chamber. It's difficult to tell exactly what the CPU is running at since the k8temp-pci module (on Ubuntu 8.04) is reporting odd numbers for core temperature. I may have received one of the rumored X2 4450e chips with bad temperature diodes. A quick feel of the heatsinks makes me think that things are okay in this configuration.

fusioned

Post by fusioned » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 am

I thought about the Enermax PRO82+ series originally, but those carry quite a premium (at least £15 difference from the Corsair), plus they look like they are being phased out across the country as I cannot find it in many other places now.

Anyone got opinions on the 350w silverstone? The 400watt varient seem to have gotten good reviews on Anandtech, but I have heard rather mixed things elsewhere about the range.