Do AMD Athlon XPs Run Hot?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Blade

Do AMD Athlon XPs Run Hot?

Post by Blade » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:30 pm

As above, do they chuck out a lot of heat?

Does this increase substantially when overclocked?

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:00 pm

No, they're about 65W or so but the heatsinks were smaller back then. I used to like the Evercool heatsinks at the time (before I got interested in reducing noise). As I recall, the Evercool CUD-725 was one of the first all copper heatsinks and was actually overkill, the aluminium with copper inlay ones worked fine.

You'll not want such a small fan though. One option was to use an 80mm fan blowing onto the heatsink (120's were rare). There may be newer socket A heatsinks available.

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Some joker on here managed to wrangle a Ninja onto their socket-A!

They run hotter for the performance than modern CPUs obviously, and different cores run...differently. Palomino and Thoroughbred A not so good. TBred-B, Barton and Thorton a lot better. A mobile XP-M is probably the best of the best if you have a mobo to support it.

I also throw S2KCtl onto every system and it helps drop idle temps 10-15C. Usually I get upper 30-40s at idle, maybe 50-55 at full blast for an extended time.

Plenty of decent heatsinks, you can still find Zalman 7000's around too. But those need the 4 holes around the socket, not all mobos have them cut out. I have 2 with Swiftech MCX462-Vs installed and a bro-in-law I used a Zalman 7000Cu for.

Blade

Post by Blade » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:03 am

Cheers fellas

I have a decent ThermalRight cooler on there, with an Antec Tricool fan, which is quite a quiet combo

Whats this "S2KCtl" program?

QuietOC

Re: Do AMD Athlon XPs Run Hot?

Post by QuietOC » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:24 am

Blade wrote:As above, do they chuck out a lot of heat?

Does this increase substantially when overclocked?
My XP-M 2500+ 2.8GHz @ 2.3V made some heat!

That was the limit of what the Epox 8RDA would allow. I used a SLK-900A with a ducted 92mm Sunon to cool that. I didn't have a power meter back then, but it did burn out a 350W Sparkle PS. I actually kept it at 2.5GHz (I forget the voltage) with a Sanyo Denki Mini Ace which was decent as far as noise, but certainly not silent.
psiu wrote:Plenty of decent heatsinks, you can still find Zalman 7000's around too. But those need the 4 holes around the socket, not all mobos have them cut out. I have 2 with Swiftech MCX462-Vs installed and a bro-in-law I used a Zalman 7000Cu for.
I have a CNPS-7000Cu sitting in its package and I don't think it comes with any Socket A mounting. Maybe there was a optional frame adapter to use Socket 478 method? The last Socket A heatsink I used was the Alpha PAL8045U. The Thermalrights were defintely the best (SP-97, SI-97, SLK-947, SLK900x).

cordis

they can

Post by cordis » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:31 pm

I have an old dual athlon xp-m motherboard that I used to use in one of my larger cases. I had some trouble with it, I originally had it in a smaller case, but it kept shutting down because of heat, so I moved it into a bigger case with some extra fans, and that seemed to have done it. The big problem with the dual board was that you can't put two big heat sinks on it. I have one that's a more quiet aftermarket cooler, but the other one is a stock cooler, and damn that thing is loud. I actually swapped it out about a year ago because I just got so sick of the noise. (I should really put that on ebay one of these days.) But for a single socket board, it shouldn't be too tough to find a quiet cooler for it.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Blade wrote:Whats this "S2KCtl" program?
psiu wrote:It enables the bus-disconnect feature and reduces *idle* temps by a LOT (5-10C).

just do a search for S2KCtl and it should be the first listing...
The load temps will be the same, but most of the time the CPU will not be loaded 100% and so this program will keep the CPU cooler.
On my old CPU (I think it was a 2800), the CPU temp dropped 7 °C to 38 °C, MB temp dropped 7 as well to 31 °C.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:55 pm

I use S2kctl along with 8RDAvcore to undervolt my XP based WHS. With a CNPS-7000A-AlCu (only the A version gets you SocketA mounting), I'm idling around 45C in a SLK3000B.

So compared to modern Core2Duo and their ilk, yes, the XP is a warm bugger, but nothing compared to a Prescott P4.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:36 am

Depending on the core and clocks they needed from 62 to 77 watts at full load. It is more than a modern dual core but still manageable. The problem is the lack of decent coolers, at least today.

S2kctl did a great jop at idle, dropping my temperatures by 13 degrees to 35c, reported by the on die sensor. At full load, a passive sonic tower keeps my barton@2ghz below 53 degrees.