comments on an i7/solo system?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jeremyc0

comments on an i7/solo system?

Post by jeremyc0 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:57 am

Hi everyone,

Let me start off by saying this is the first computer I've ever assembled, and so despite all the reading I've done recently I very well might have made some obviously strange choices. Any comments you have are appreciated, including whether all this stuff will even fit in a solo.

antec solo $90
corsair tx650 $100
core i7 20 $290
gigabyte ud4p $250
ocz 6gb ddr3-1333 $90
radeon 4850 $140
vigor monsoon iii or scythe mugen 2 $40
samsung spinpoint f1 1tb $100
pioneer dvd $25

So... some notes --
*i haven't actually picked out a 4850 card yet and recommendations would be appreciated, but it seems like a good match for the kinds of games i'd like to (infrequently) play. my concerns are that it's supposed to be hot and wonder if there's a more efficient/cooler card out there at the same performance point. i think i would try to put an accelero s1 on there (i think i read about someone doing that in a solo, not sure though).

*For the power supply, I was wondering if I could get away with a smaller one, but it's not like I want to be maxing it out or something, and iirc the price difference isn't huge between this one and a ~500W model.

*the mobo was just because the ud3r only has 4 slots for ram... the price difference is ~$55 though so I don't know if that's a great reason...

Thank you for your time!
Jeremy

Worker control

modular cables

Post by Worker control » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:32 pm

I"m a fan of PSUs with modular cables, as they cut down on the clutter. Having said that, the Solo does have a nice area (behind the mobo) for stashing cables out of the way.

You'll also want two 92mm intake fans: http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-KAMA-FLE ... -4106.html

and maybe better intake filters: http://www.jab-tech.com/92mm-Aluminum-m ... -3622.html

and a better exhaust fan:
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-KAZE-JYU ... -3943.html

Also, make sure you have a plan for fan control, either via something like speedfan (if supported by your mobo) or an external controller:
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-KAZE-MAS ... -4080.html

Your goal should be equal intake and exhaust CFM.

If you don't need the full 1TB capacity, the 500GB single-platter Seagate is a bit faster: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148395

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:14 pm

The Corsair TX650 isn't the quietest power supply from what other people have said at these forums. The Corsair HX-520 and HX-620 are quieter and also modular. While they are a little more expensive, IMO it's worth it.

You could also try using Nexus 92mm fans for the front intake fans.

If you want to go cheap and not buy an expensive fan controller, get 3 x Zalman fanmates, which are quite cheap, one for each fan to individually control their speed.

Gigabyte make a passive 4850 already so if you aren't comfortable installing an aftermarket Accelero S1 yourself (which can be daunting the first time you do it) so you might want to look into it (model no's are GV-R485MC-1GI or -1GH, the differences are in the output ports only) but apparently these run hotter than a normal 4850 with an Accelero S1 on it.

Otherwise, all looks good to me. I don't think I've seen a Solo / Core i7 rig yet, so be sure to post pictures of your final system in the General Gallery section of this forum.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:01 pm

the 620 is an amazing powersupply

very much worth it.

jeremyc0

Post by jeremyc0 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll definitely look into picking up those fans/filters, and if I think I can get enough airflow in the case I'll get the Gigabyte version of the 4850... otherwise I may either try putting on an aftermarket cooler or perhaps even see if another card comes out with similar performance but is cooler and more energy efficient...

In terms of the power supply the reason why I picked the TX650 was just because there's no individual current limit on each of the 12V rails; I don't know of the actual power consumption of my components but I'm guessing they'll be under 18A so I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again!!

jeremyc0

Post by jeremyc0 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:09 pm

Hey everyone --

Just wanted to let everyone know that I finished the build; thanks for all of your help! It went surprisingly smoothly... the scariest part was installing the CPU and the Mugen 2... even though I expected to have to use a lot of force, I didn't think I needed to use THAT much force. The Mugen 2 is also HUGE!! Man... I'm afraid my mobo won't be able to handle that stress in the long run. I'm also pretty sure I didn't do a great job with the Arctic Silver, but at least I got some experience.

I also listened to some of your recommendations and went with the HX620, and it is indeed an awesome power supply. I also got a bunch of fanmates + Scythe fans, and frankly, it's hard to picture a situation when I (or anyone?) would want a more quiet computer. Thanks especially for helping on that front.

Couple of other things: downgraded the video card to a passive 4350... huge bottleneck but I'm going to wait until I really need to play a game (starcraft 2) and hopefully by then there will be cheaper + more efficient cards around.

I also got a 1tb Caviar Black -- tried it out, and I didn't feel like it was too loud. Maybe it was partially due to the nice suspension in the Solo.

Which reminds me.. the only cases I've seen the inside of are about 5-10 years old, and I was really, REALLY impressed with how easy the Solo was to work with. Thumbscrews rock!!

I've attached a photo; wasn't sure what other angles to take, but I think you can get a pretty good idea of what's going on. Not that neat, I know... the fanmates aren't particularly neat, and there's a bracket for eSATA that I hooked up on the bottom and makes things look untidy.

One more thing -- haven't had time to look into getting the CPU temps, but at least the mobo bios shows that it's around 35 idle; seems pretty good to me.

Thanks again!

Picture: www dot stanford dot edu/~jbchang/DSC_2987.jpg

Worker control

congrats

Post by Worker control » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Glad it worked out. Looks like a great machine. How are the GPU temps?

My main complaint about the Solo is that you have to take off the side panel in order to expose the intake filters, making it a bit of a pain to vacuum them off. Still, it's my default case to use and recommend.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:18 pm

I wish I would've saw this thread earlier. There are some changes I would've made, but none too serious.

Either way, you're rig sounds like it's pretty nice. Make sure to snap some pics of it and throw 'em up in the General Gallery.

I have an Antec Solo myself. I never liked the two 92mm intake fan idea. When I upgraded my fans, I ditched the standard TriCool for a single 12cm exhaust a 2x 92mm intakes, all from Nexus. I didn't have a fan controller, but I only felt undervolting would've been necessary for the 92mm fans. The 12cm is my reference for quiet IMO. A touch lower, but only early in the morning in our quiet area where we live. The 92mm fans an my video card were my loudest parts of my system. I plan on hacking apart the front intake area and making room for a second 12cm.

The Solo is good for cable routing, but it can take some force to put the other side panel back on. Maybe the cables on my NeoHE 550w are just fat. suspended harddrives are nice, and so is the foam on the panels.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:11 am

@Worker control :
To make it possible to open the front door of the solo, file down the clips that hold it shut a tiny bit ; that should solve this minor inconvenience :)
worked great on my Solo.

jeremyc0

Post by jeremyc0 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:11 am

Hey there --

Just checked the GPU temp in the catalyst control center, it reads 44... I actually don't know the reasonable ranges but it seems ok to me, hope it doesn't get too high when I play a game or watch a movie or something.

And just want to point out again it's a passively cooled 4350 (Asus EAH4350 I think).

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi,

44C for a video card is downright cold.