59 celsius (load) with a Ninja 2?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

josh-j

59 celsius (load) with a Ninja 2?

Post by josh-j » Thu May 07, 2009 11:55 am

Hi,

I'm using a Ninja 2 to cool a 1.86GHz 6300. I've got a slipstream attached to the HS itself, as you can see in the picture itself. I dont know what speed its at but its the lowest I can get it using my cheap fan control.

My problem is that my temperatures seem a bit high for what I'm doing. Currently the ambient here is about 23c, and my cpu is 50c idle. It can get to almost 60c under load. But as you can see from the picture, there are three fans in the immediate vicinity of the Ninja. If you're wondering about airflow, the fan attached to the Ninja is blowing upwards towards the PSU which is obviously exhasting out of the case. The back case fan is exhausting as well (I didn't have the room to have the HS fan blowing towards the back fan).

I can't really see that there is too little air flow in the area, and even when I speed up the fans there's not exactly much of a difference in temperatures.

I know the mounting system on this heatsink is rubbish (a while ago one of the push-pins came unclipped and I got 60c+ idle temps for a bit before I realised what had happened). But surely not THAT bad? I've seen people with much better temps :?

My system is already not quiet because the PSU really isn't close to silent, but because of the temperatures I've got at the moment I dont want to have any less fans in there.

Any ideas? :)

Link if you dont want to mess around with Imageshack's popups

Linnaeus Tripe

Post by Linnaeus Tripe » Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 pm

I agree those temps are too high.

You might get much better cooling if you could move the Ninja fan to the front (over the memory) and blow back through the heat sink toward the exhaust fan. You should be able to get by with a pretty slow fan speed.

metron

Post by metron » Thu May 07, 2009 3:22 pm

How are you measuring the temps?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu May 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi,

The challenge with any large heatsink, especially if you use the stock plastic pins to hold it onto the motherboard, is to get the contact with the CPU to be firm enough, and to get good heat transfer. Your CPU might be slightly warped/uneven.

Using a bolt-through kit would likely help a lot. And how did you apply the thermal paste? A single "dot" in the center is often the best way, since this avoids air bubbles getting trapped.

josh-j

Post by josh-j » Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am

I've moved the HS fan to the more usual position of blowing through the heatsink and out through the exhaust fan, and I still have the same temperatures. While I moved the fan I noticed that actually I've had it at max speed all this time, and am still getting the temps I posted above (the PSU is loud enough that you cant hear the cpu fan anyway even at full speed).

To measure the temps, well I use Linux so I'm just using 'sensors' and the coretemp module (not CoreTemp as in Windows). I suppose its possible that its giving incorrect readings, but I dont think so because with my previous heatsink/fan setup (noisy) I was more around the 40c area in terms of temps.

I applied thermal paste by making a thin line down the middle of the cpu. And I used the same method (and the same TIM!) with my old heatsink that gave temps in the 40s. So I'm starting to think it might be down to the push-pin mounting. Especially since when one came unclipped a while ago, the temperature only got up to about 63c or so- which is barely more than a 10c rise over usual temps.

I might look into a proper mounting system. Or I might just leave it, since I can live with the temps I have right now :lol:

metron

Post by metron » Fri May 08, 2009 1:44 pm

There's some great info on measuring temps (and the problems related thereto) here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

speedkar9

Re: 59 celsius (load) with a Ninja 2?

Post by speedkar9 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:52 am

Your case looks pretty basic. Does it have an air intake in the front? With all those fans blowing outward, it might be stifling for air. Try cleaning up those cables to allow for better airflow and reappling the TIM with one dot in the middle.

josh-j

Post by josh-j » Sat May 09, 2009 7:52 am

It has an air intake at the front, but with no fan there because it didn't seem necessary (HD temps etc are no problem). I honestly cant see that the cables are making all that much of a difference :?

I think its the mounting. But I cant see any easy way around that other than spending money on a proper mounting kit. My old heatsink, while smaller than a Ninja, was similarly big and heavy, but had a proper bolt-through mounting and got temperatures 10 degrees lower.

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:29 pm

josh-j wrote:I think its the mounting. But I cant see any easy way around that other than spending money on a proper mounting kit. My old heatsink, while smaller than a Ninja, was similarly big and heavy, but had a proper bolt-through mounting and got temperatures 10 degrees lower.
See if you can some how adapt the old HS's bolt thru kit to the Ninja.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat May 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Heck for an e6300, you can still use Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool.

The problem is one of these things:
- you are getting incorrect readings
- your heatsink isn't mounted properly.

A 25C rise is unlikely for a normal idle condition.