No sound after resume from sleep mode

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Vetotat

No sound after resume from sleep mode

Post by Vetotat » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:09 am

When I wake the computer from sleep mode, the sound is totally dead. No sound at all is coming from the speakers. The only way to restore the sound is to restart the computer with a real reboot. Does any one know a way to solve this problem? I use the built-in sound on a P5Q-E with the latest sound drivers and BIOS version.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Are you using drivers from Asus or from the maker of the sound chip (Realtek or whoever)? Sometimes there are incompatibilities between BIOS and drivers and you don't always want to use the latest drivers, but instead those from the MB vendor. Anyway, I bet you are using Windows XP or an even older version of Windows. The new sound functionality in Vista is far superior and I find a lot of issues I had with sound in XP wnet away when I upgraded the computer to Vista.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:01 pm

Just to add to what jesse posted, I would avoid drivers from microsoft's windows update. I've had spotty performance with it on graphics card and laptop dvd burner drivers.

I second jessekopelman's suggestion of going with the motherboard manufacturer's drivers and BIOS updates.

Vetotat

Post by Vetotat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:11 am

I've tried the drivers on the motherboard DVD and new, fresh ones from Asus' website. No difference. I guess I have to live with this then.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:15 pm

What happens if you mute and then unmute? I find sometimes doing stuff like that kicks the audio back into working order (until the next time).

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:40 pm

I happens to me sometimes, if you suspend again & resume the sound may come back. Try reinstalling the sound drivers, the latest version isn't always the best, so install whatever version works best.

Vetotat

Post by Vetotat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:20 am

The problem has solved itself; the sound is now working! I have no idea what caused it to do so. Thanks for your help anyway, I can now use sleep mode.

NicolasPaul

Post by NicolasPaul » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:36 am

Good post.I happens to me sometimes, if you suspend again & resume the sound may come back. Try reinstalling the sound drivers, the latest version isn't always the best, so install whatever version works best.