Advice on potential config

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GD3

Advice on potential config

Post by GD3 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:20 pm

After some fairly extensive research, I have assembled a tentative list of components for my new config. Unfortunately, I know just enough about these parts to make me dangerous, so I'm ever-mindful of having potentially messed something up. I would welcome your opinions/reviews on the logic, danger, and quietness of my config. Thanks!

Antec P183
Corsair TX 650W
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4
AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz AM2+
8GB (4x2GB) GSkill DDR2-1066 F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
WD6400AAKS Caviar Blue 640GB 7200 RPM
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4870 Vapor-X 1GB
Samsung SH-S223F 22X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive
Scythe Mugen 2 HSF
Scythe Slipstream SY1225SL12M (x2, maybe x3)
Scythe S-Flex SFF21E (x1, for blowhole on P183)
Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay Fan Controller

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Looks pretty good.

If you are comfortable doing it, I would consider adding a S-Flex F 1600rpm as a potential fan swap for that PSU - I don't know how quiet it is likely to be.

If you are only using the one HDD, I had pretty good results buying a Zalman ZM-2HC2 and having a HDD mounted inside this heatpipe HDD cooler with the whole package suspended in the lower HDD cage of my P182.

I've heard good things about the Vapor-X cooler, so I'd be interested to know how that works out for you.

Other than that, I think you've done pretty well in spec'ing out a good rig with the potential to be pretty quiet. Best of luck with your build!

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Looks very good.
Personally I like the AM3 X3 BE better than the X4 920 (Overclocking potential, less power consumption), but I assume you have carefully considered your usage scenarios? Or is the UD4 significantly cheaper than the UD4P?

GD3

Post by GD3 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:43 pm

Thank you both for your comments. More comments are welcome!

As for the points raised:

-PSU: at least according to NewEgg reviews, this PSU is quite quiet, so I'm going to stick with stock cooling on that front.
-I have never heard of this heatpipe idea. I'm going to have a further look at that.
-I was unsure about the Vapor-X until I came across an extensive review of 4870 models here: http://www.behardware.com/articles/751- ... -4870.html The information on temps and noise sold me on the Vapor-X, relative to other 4870 options. I'm hopeful.
-MA790XT-UD4P is a bit more expensive, but that's not really the reason for the the AM2+; basically, I'm not sold on DDR3 at the moment, since AMD can't run it in triple channel.
-CPU: I'm a bit torn on this point. I do not intend to overclock, so a Black Edition would be wasted on me. On the one hand, seeing as very few applications run all four cores anyway, the quad is somewhat surplus to requirements for the moment; on the other hand, I'm hoping to maintain this config for several years, so I see the quad as a degree of future-proofing. I'm assuming here that given how many quads we're seeing on the market, it is effectively inevitable that more and more applications will take advantage of them.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Hi, I just wanted to advise you against trusting other sites/non-SPCR users on noise ratings. I bought my OCZ GameXstream 600W PSU before I found this site, after reading on Tom's HW or Anandtech that those are "very quiet". It was nothing of the sort and I ended up having to fanswap. I'm not saying that the one you chose is loud (according to the review on here, it's ok, but there are better), just that in my experience, the only sites on the web that I've found to have any credibility when commenting on noise are this one and to a lesser extent madshrimps.be (they test many CPU heatsinks under controlled conditions and have nice charts for comparing said heatsinks relative to one another *EDIT: the review you link for the vid card looks good for this purpose too*). Bottom line, I now make sure a review on here gives a component a clean of bill of health before I plunk down my money, unless I plan on modding to make it quiet from the get-go.

Also, I'm not sure if I understand your qualms with DDR3, but DDR3 doesn't need/isn't designed to run triple channel, this just happens to be the way the i7 does it. I don't think it has that much of a performance impact either way. Personally, I'd rather get one of the newer CPUs since they only get better with revs/steps and also in case your Mobo goes south, you'd have a much easier time getting a replacement since the newer CPUs are more compatible.

kater

Post by kater » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:10 am

Vapor-X - it's true that we (spcr readers & silence freaks) can't trust other sites, so true. But... I've heard 1st hand reports of how really quiet this thing is, especially given the 4870/4980 thermals. I've only heard & read v favorable opinions by noise-aware users - I mean in terms of noise mainly, but also OC potential and overall quality of Vapor-X cards. I'd personally go for it if I had more cash / needed more powah.

PSU - it's a great unit, rock stable, efficient and quiet too (so I heard from other noise-conscious users) but... it's way too big for your needs. You can save some $ and buy a decent 450W unit. I don't know what PSUs you can buy locally, but, aprt from SPCR approved units, there are some that can be safely recommended - such as BeQuiets* or the new un-spcr-yet-tested Enermaxes.

*Oh how I wish SPCR would finally reviewone of those! They're especially popular in Europe, almost legendary for their quiet operation, and I mean it - I've listened to some BQs and they do rock.
BQ site