How to improve my sytem further?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Souli

How to improve my sytem further?

Post by Souli » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:21 am

Hi,
my setup atm:

Intel C2D 8300
Sapphire VaporX 4870
Seasonic S12 500W
Intel X25M SSD

Antec P182
Scythe Ninja B - Noctua 120mm
2x 120 Papst @ 7V

I had a 8800 GTX before I changed to the 4870 and it was like night and day :wink: . The next step was to get the SSD which was incredible.

Now I want to improve it a bit more. I can't hear the system during the day but while I sleep it makes a bit noise which can be reduced I think. What would you do?

I was thinking about:
-) modular PSU: not because the Seasonic is loud but modular PSU makes things easier and cleaner.
-) exchange the heatsink: I saw that there are a few heatsinks that do a lot better than the old Ninja alrdy. What would you recommend?
-) exchange the 120mm Papst with something more silent. Again what would you recommend?

Atm my setup looks like that: In the upper chamber there is only the Mobo+graphic card. I don't have a DVD internal anymore. In the lower chamber is the PSU + the SSD.

Temps at idle: CPU (measured with Speedfan) Core0=38° Core1=38°, CPU total=47°
Graphic = 60° Fan at 0 rpm.
I will post the typical "load" temps after a gaming session today. Outside temperature atm is around 26°-32°.

I use 1x120 at the front to blow into the case and the other one at the back to blow out of the case. I close the hole at the top of the case. Would you recommend to stick to 2x120 or maybe remove one of them? The options would be: remove the one on the CPU, the one right at the back next to the CPU or the one in the front blowing into the case.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:07 am

Heatsink: Xigmatek HDT-S1283+Crossbow kit or Scythe Mugen 2 or Thermalright HR-01+ or Noctua U12P. All good for Intel LGA 775 and have good attachment.

Fan: Scythe Slipstream 800 or 1200 is very good choice. Nexus Real Silent 120mm Basic is good too.

Souli

Post by Souli » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:15 am

what about this: Prolimatech Megahalems Heatsink + 3x Scythe Slipstream 800 to replace all 120mm in my system

lm
Friend of SPCR

Re: How to improve my sytem further?

Post by lm » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:20 am

Souli wrote:Now I want to improve it a bit more. I can't hear the system during the day but while I sleep it makes a bit noise which can be reduced I think. What would you do?
Turn it off for the night? Or hibernate or whatever.

Does it interfere with your sleep?

Souli

Post by Souli » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:37 am

lol ofc I turn it off but sometimes I have to download something or calculate something and so I can't turn it off. I mean most ppl would kill to get to the "noise" lvl of my pc atm but there is always improvement :wink: And atm the fans are the biggest noise problems.

I just tried to find out the difference between all those Scythe fans. What is the difference between Slipstream and S-Flex? Which one is more silent/better?

What would be better to take a 1200 RPM and run it at 7V/5V or get a 800 RPM and run it at 12V/7V?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:00 pm

IMHO Meghalem's is not needed, since is very costly and your E8300 wolfendale is very cool CPU. I have Xigmatek HDT-S1283+Crossbow cooling my E8400 extremely well.

Souli

Post by Souli » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:15 pm

if it's needed or not doesn't rly matter because the shop that I'll visit tomorrow has only a few heatsinks: Meghalem, Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme, Scythe Mugen 2, NHU12P

Except the Mugen 2 every heatsink is at the same price lvl give or take 3 euros.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:16 pm

I hope this doesn't sound foolish to you, but I've been using the original ninja, and I really wouldn't swap it out without a killer deal. I'd only swap it for a TRUE, and it would have to be priced for it. You already have a 45nm CPU, just change your fans, and maybe experiment with removing one or two. The 800rpm Scythe Slipsteam could really work wonders on just the top and rear exhaust, and the rest of the rig could cool easily with the concept of air pressure. No need to buy a whole new heatsink at this point, it's just the fans that are sub-par in your build.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:31 pm

With your CPU, you might be able to get away with not having a top exhaust fan.

I think the VaporX cooler on your 4870 leaves some hot air in your case. This might affect your ability to remove the top fan.

Are you using a bolt-through kit on your current Ninja?

Mugen 2 is pretty good value if you want to replace your Ninja, as it comes with a quiet PWM fan and a bolt-through kit for good mounting.

As for fans, try some undervolted Slipstream 800 rpms or Nexus fans for rear exhaust and front intake positions.

If you do need to use a top exhaust fan, get a S-Flex 1200rpm and run it at 5-7V. (Slipstreams and Nexus fans have sleeve bearings, which are not so good for horizontal mounting, while S-Flex fans have a fluid dynamic bearing that is much better for horizontal mounting positions, like in the top exhaust position).

You can check out SPCR's reviews of both the Slipstream and S-Flex fans if you go to the main page and click through to the Fans section - it is fan reviews nos 2 and 5 from memory if you scroll down.

Other than bearing type, you'll need to check out the fan results at a given CFM and noise rating to decide between Slipstream and S-Flex fans.

Basically though, the Slipstream 1200rpm pushes the most air at any given voltage but is a little noisier. The S-Flex E 1200rpm and Slipstream 800rpm perform fairly similarly in both noise levels and CFM at lower voltages but the S-Flex E has more headroom at 12V due to its faster speed. Either of these 3 fans or a Nexus Real Silent fan would be good fan replacements with some undervolting.

Stay away from the S-Flex D 800rpm as apparently it clicks when it is undervolted and stalls at 5V.

Souli

Post by Souli » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:02 am

k jsut gonna grab some S-Flex 1200 and run them on 7 or 5V. I will not use the top exhaust fan since I'm not using it currently either. Just have to find the best combination of where to place them.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:36 am

Hi,

I would just add the Scythe bolt through kit to the Ninja B, and not change the heatsink. The Ninja is an excellent unit, hampered mostly by wimpy push pins...

This process always comes back to: what makes the most noise in the system at the moment?

Strid

Post by Strid » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:45 am

Get fans that spin at abou 600-700 RPM and soft-mount them - practically silent.

As for the PSU, you would probably need to silence this "manually". I.e. Fan swap for a better fan. Or take the ultimate step and get a fanless unit.

I have two 650 RPM Nexus fans in my room, in which I also have my bed, and I can't hear them at all. And I consider myself picky. :)
Also, you probably want to remove the fan grills, since they add a slight "woosh"-sound the the exhaust airflow.

Souli

Post by Souli » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:34 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:This process always comes back to: what makes the most noise in the system at the moment?
my fans atm can't wait to try out the new ones :lol: also gonna grab that bolt through kit when I'm there thx for the help