Compatibility question (Asus P5Q Pro Turbo + Q9450)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Compatibility question (Asus P5Q Pro Turbo + Q9450)

Post by Cams » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:35 am

Can anyone confirm whether the Q9450 CPU is compatable with an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Intel P45 motherboard?

There is a bit of a story behind my question. First of all, I bought a system as documented here:

[Looking for advice on platform]
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 LGA775 'Yorkfield' 2.66GHz 12MB-cache (1333FSB) Processor - OEM
  • Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel
The system wouldn't boot and I asked for some help on SPCR with that, which of course I got (I love this place!)

[System won't boot]

I eventually RMAed the motherboard back and, after Overclockers having had it for 12 DAYS, they refunded me. So I called to find out why a refund and not a replacement, to which they replied that there may be an incompatibility issue with the motherboard and CPU. It seemed unlikely, but possible, so I ordered another motherboard, one which they assured me would work, a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5.

The new motherboard arrived yesterday and the problem was exactly the same as with the first board: no post. So I have now RMAed the CPU back.

Meanwhile, I requested a refund on the shipping I had to pay to return the motherboard and was told that they do not pay refunds for incompatibility issues. Now, had the second motherboard solved all my problems, I could have believed that the initial problem was one of incompatibility. But it didn't so I am now very dubious as to whether that really was the cause of the problem.

If I get another CPU and find that it works, I'm sure I would have a very good case for arguing that the initial problem was NOT one of incompatiblity and therefore I should be able to demand a refund on the shipping costs.

But I thought I would ask here as I'm sure there must be someone out there in SPCR land that knows whether that Asus P5Q Pro Turbo board is incompatible with the Q9450 CPU. Anyone know?

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:47 am

there is absolutely no reason that CPU should be incomatable with your board. The are both socket 775. What more to ask? You might have provided this information already, but do you have an EPS12V certified psu? Becasue if not, that would cause these crazy issues.

If it isn't the psu, then it seems to me like you have one or more deffective parts on your hands. Hang in there..they can't all be bad!

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:56 am

The supplier said that the BIOS might be too old for the CPU and there was no upgrade that would work. I'm skeptical.

My PSU is a Seasonic 550W, so I imagine it is certified. I don't recall the exact model number right now, but it does have some certification stickers on it, something about being green IIRC and some other sticker.

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:01 am

na..what I'm talking about is specifically EPS12V line. You need that exact line to power this cpu, and if you dont have it, nothing will happen correctly. There ARE some psu's that will hook up to your board but not have this particular power line rating.

also, have you tried flashing the BIOS? just go on Asus.com and u can actually do the flash from the windows enviornment. Just download the new BIOS file, run EZflash2 and flash it.

but..ahh...dont do it in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:21 am

For the Q9450 Gigabyte says you will need BIOS revision F5 which was the first release.

You must connect the 4-pin power connector near the back panel I-O connectors.

Those memory modules are not on the Qualified Vendors List.

BriAnNaXoXo

Post by BriAnNaXoXo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:32 am

that will be compatible

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:45 am

That's me home now. It's a Seasonic 550HT. Does that have the EPS12V?

No way of flashing the BIOS if the sytem won't even POST.

It seems that I have confirmation that the CPU and motherboard are compatible so I have justification for asking for a refund on my shipping costs for the RMA of the motherboard. I'm hopeful that the CPU will turn out to have been faulty. Probably won't hear back for another two weeks though. I don't think I'll be using this supplier again, but that's for another thread if they don't come good.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:34 am

Cams wrote:That's me home now. It's a Seasonic 550HT. Does that have the EPS12V?
This is an up to date PSU to the ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V V2.91 standard. According to a graphic on the web the Seasonic 550HT should have an 8 pin PSU plug, with yellow and black wires.

There do seem to be a lot of references to Q9450s on the web either not booting or starting to boot and then stopping. The motherboards makers involved include Asus, Gigabyte and MSI. In one case reseating the CPU cured it. In another it turned out that the CPU fan was faulty.

What CPU cooler are you using by the way? You are sure that the fan works?

As you say, it's impossible if a BIOS update is required since you need to at least post to then load a new BIOS off a USB stick.

petecool

Post by petecool » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:53 pm

Q9450 is listed as supported on the ASUS CPU support page as of BIOS 0210.

BIOS 0210 is release BIOS for that motherboard. No incompatibility there, if they argue otherwise they don't know what they're talking about, or something else is going on (which they didn't explain fully)