System building advice request

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Azel

System building advice request

Post by Azel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:23 am

Hello,

my sister asked me to build her a new system, so I have been looking through the usual tech sites to get up to date, in order to select the right components.

The new system would have the following requirements:

- Acceptably silent (i.e. silent enough as not to to annoy while idle or running low performance programs. Silent enough to sleep within the same room is not needed, but a nice bonus, since the computer would be in the room where any visitor sleeps, me included :P ).
- Able to run at decent fps and decent detail most recent games.
- Cost around 800-900 euros (Google tells me 1 Euro = 1.4347 U.S. dollars, so using a more conservative 1.40 rate, we are talking about 1100-1250$).
- No monitor since she has an old 21" crt. In a few months she will replace it with a new widescreen LCD, she just does not have the budget for it right now.

Since it would be an all new rig, it would need to include the following components:

- CPU
- CPU cooler
- Motherboard (with integrated and acceptable audio interface)
- RAM (branded, not oem)
- Video card (nVidia, yes I do not trust ATI after a lot of bad experiences)
- DVD reader/writer
- Single 7200 rpm HDD with a capacity of 1TB
- PSU
- Case
- Mouse + Keyboard (standard ones, nothing too fancy)

Since I am a bit rusty, I roved around looking for hints about wich components I would need to build such a system. I came up with this preliminary setup:

- INTEL based, dual core CPU (maybe an e8500 3.16 Ghz ?) Budget around 150 euros (215$). Quad core looks expensive, not needed and quite noisy due to increased wattage. Am I wrong?

- CPU cooler: anything under 50 euros (70$) with good performance. Better if it comes with its own silent fan to cut some $$$. Xigmatek HDT-S1283 looks good, provided I can find it.

- Motherboard: I really have no idea, there is a gazillion models wich differ in some obscure ways... some suggestions will be greatly appreciated. In the past I have always favored ASUS, is it still a good choice, provided I can select the right model in the middle of a thousand quasi-clones?

- Memory: 3 x 1 gb kit from Corsair or equivalent good brand (depends on availability). Is 3 x 2gb overkill? 3gb would cost about 60e (85$), for 6gb I am looking at doubling the price. Is it worth it?

- Video card: GTS250 based card? Or 9800GT? I would say the budget would be about 100-130 euros (140-190$). There are many models with proprietary dissipation devices, any one that stands out in this price range?

- DVD reader/writer: don't really care, it would not be used often. Just a cheap unit that would give the option of burning some DVDs every now and then. Cost is about 50 euros (70$).

- HDD: a black 7200 WD model? I would suspend it if needed to reduce noise. Cost is about 85 euros (120$).

- Case: P183. I have a P182 and I am very happy with it. Cost is about 130 euros (190$).

- PSU: Antec CP-850. She would probably never need such power output, but after reading the review here an SPCR and since it costs less than what I paid my enermax modu 82+ 625W over 1 year ago... Cost is about 110 euros (160$).

So, I have already budgeted about 800 euros (1150$) with 3gb ram, 120 euros (170$) video card, and still no motherboard. That would leave 100$ for the MoBo and the other accessories. Given that price guidelines can be bent a little, that should be ok. I know the PSU is overkill, but is there any way to spend under 100 euros (140$) and still get a reliable, low noise PSU?

Any hint, tip, trick, snip, advice, comment, constructive critique will be higly apreciated. Please forgive any grammar mistakes, English is not my native language.

Thanks for reading, I wish your system a long and silent future.

incorrect

Post by incorrect » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:34 am

hello, is there any particular reason you chose a couple of these options? you're specifying a pretty hardcore machine there, and could easily cut some corners to make a *much* cheaper machine that would still run very well.

i can't help much with prices as i'm in the usa, is there a newegg-like site for our euro friends?

at any rate, some random thoughts:
- any reason for the e8500? an e7500 would let you put money towards a nice screen, which would be noticed much more
- good choice on the cpu cooler
- i'd go with an asus p5n7a-vm due to its low power consumption, good set of connectivity and compatibility for a hackintosh build
- why 3gb of ram? why not just a 2 x 2gb kit, for the standard 4gb?
- i don't know much of anything about gts cards unfortunately
- i'd flip through reviews to find a quiet dvd drive. samsungs are usually good
- any reason for the 7200rpm choice? the seagate lp has been benchmarking pretty well
- any reason for going with a full atx build? the mini p180 will save you a bit more cash
- an 850 watt psu! surely you could skimp a bit on that. i'm not sure what's available where you are, but this is a good comparison with acoustic comparisons between several euro-available models

by skimping a bit on the parts you listed you could easily afford a nice 23" widescreen lcd to surprise her with! or just a bunch of cash she didn't know she'd get back. this is quite honestly going to be a very powerful machine either way.

Azel

Post by Azel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:43 am

incorrect wrote:hello, is there any particular reason you chose a couple of these options? you're specifying a pretty hardcore machine there, and could easily cut some corners to make a *much* cheaper machine that would still run very well.
You are right, the reason is I am quite the hardcore gamer, so I am a little biased when choosing components. I am trying to overcome my skewered POV, bit it's hard! This is why I am here asking for suggestions :P
incorrect wrote: i can't help much with prices as i'm in the usa, is there a newegg-like site for our euro friends?
I confess I am not at ease buying outside my nation (Italy), so I am far more limited in my choices compared to a US based buyer. The reason is that, in case of an RMA (or, heaven forbid, a series of RMA) shipping costs would ramp up quickly.
incorrect wrote: at any rate, some random thoughts:
- any reason for the e8500? an e7500 would let you put money towards a nice screen, which would be noticed much more
She is not an "upgrade every now and then" person. She will probably use this exact system for the next 5 or so years. Every bit of juice I can cram into this rig will benefit her more, in the long run, than the typical hardcore user who will swap out the outdated processor after a couple of years. I was also under the impression that the 8500 was around the actual top of the curve, meaning it should have the best price/performance ratio. Am I wrong?
incorrect wrote: - i'd go with an asus p5n7a-vm due to its low power consumption, good set of connectivity and compatibility for a hackintosh build
I will check it out, thanks for the suggestion. Hackintosh? What's that?
incorrect wrote: - why 3gb of ram? why not just a 2 x 2gb kit, for the standard 4gb?
Because I am a moron, and I was still thinking in "triple channel" mode. With a dual core and 775 chipsed 4gb is surely the way to go, thanks for making me see my mistake :P
incorrect wrote: - any reason for the 7200rpm choice? the seagate lp has been benchmarking pretty well
Since quietness is not n°1 priority, I was thinking that a fast 7200 rpm drive (maybe suspended) would offer a noticeable performance boost without impacting too much on the noise side. I'll check out the seagate lp anyway, thanks.
incorrect wrote: - any reason for going with a full atx build? the mini p180 will save you a bit more cash
I am a lover of big cases that let you work inside them without using tweezers, I am not really a fan of cramming every bit of equipment into a small case just for the sake of cutting a few $ and a few cubic cm of space. I'll check out the mini p180 (that I did not know of) but I am pretty set on the big fat P183.
incorrect wrote: - an 850 watt psu! surely you could skimp a bit on that. i'm not sure what's available where you are, but this is a good comparison with acoustic comparisons between several euro-available models.
Eh, as I said I find it difficult to find a good PSU under 100 euros. I might get an "over the top but really good" one anyway. But nothing is set in stone, I am still checking out other brands/models.
incorrect wrote: by skimping a bit on the parts you listed you could easily afford a nice 23" widescreen lcd to surprise her with! or just a bunch of cash she didn't know she'd get back. this is quite honestly going to be a very powerful machine either way.
A sound advice, I will have another go at the configuration, who knows what I will find. Thanks for you thoughtful comments anyway. Feel free to post any other suggestion you may have! ^^

incorrect

Post by incorrect » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:10 am

Azel wrote:She is not an "upgrade every now and then" person. She will probably use this exact system for the next 5 or so years. Every bit of juice I can cram into this rig will benefit her more, in the long run, than the typical hardcore user who will swap out the outdated processor after a couple of years. I was also under the impression that the 8500 was around the actual top of the curve, meaning it should have the best price/performance ratio. Am I wrong?
if you're looking at a 5-year window i'd definitely get a quad-core. upcoming games/software are going to be shifting their focus to many-threads, easily outweighing the speed of even a fast dual-core. a q9400 should do nicely, and supports virtualization that will gain more os support in the future.
Azel wrote:I will check it out, thanks for the suggestion. Hackintosh? What's that?
a hackintosh (also known as the osx86 project) is a standard pc that is able to run the macintosh operating system (os x) just like a real mac would, updates and everything. see insanelymac.com for details. many people (myself included) have their machines set up to allow a choice at boot time between windows and os x.
Azel wrote:Since quietness is not n°1 priority, I was thinking that a fast 7200 rpm drive (maybe suspended) would offer a noticeable performance boost without impacting too much on the noise side. I'll check out the seagate lp anyway, thanks.
well you'll get the most noticeable boost from a ssd, and they'll be crashing in price in the next couple of years. after using one, any hard drive just seems sluggish :)
Azel wrote:I am a lover of big cases that let you work inside them without using tweezers, I am not really a fan of cramming every bit of equipment into a small case just for the sake of cutting a few $ and a few cubic cm of space. I'll check out the mini p180 (that I did not know of) but I am pretty set on the big fat P183.
the mini p180 is still very roomy and will save quite a bit of space/money. this is likely going to be a very simple build, i'd personally put it in a 120mm-fanned microatx case like a cooler master 341.

and, as you say, she's not planning on upgrading at all so once you have the system built you won't have to worry about how cramped the case is :)

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:13 am

In my opinion, you are wasting your sister's money on the case and PSU. A Solo or Mini P180 are more than "good enough" and are not very cramped - and you said that system will be set up only once and running 5 years after, so why is that a concern? Also, if you can't find a at least very decent PSU beow 100 Euro, you are not looking hard enough. There's the Enermax Pro 82+ series, the Seasonic M/S12 II, Corsair VX or maybe the be quiet! brand. Or a Antec PSU/Cas combo if your retailer offers some.

All together, this should stay below 150 Euros.

BtW, I also think you limit yourself artificially by not considering the ATI products, especially in that price range.