When to build Upgradable BFB DAW

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stokesperc

When to build Upgradable BFB DAW

Post by Stokesperc » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:28 am

I've been looking to build a DAW for some time now.

I want your opinions on when in the future would be a good time to build a DAW using an intel quad core that would be at the price sweet spot and be
upgradable 2 years down the road.

Is now a good time or should I wait for a new chipset to have more affordable CPU's.

I'd like the system to:
1. stay below the $1000 mark not including case and monitor.
2. Have a powerful intel quad core 95w or less(preferably less ie 75w)
4. Motherboard that will support future gen. processors
and have all the goodies one would expect for a DAW. FW800 would be nice
3. Video card that would support dual 23-24 inch monitors
will do some video on this system but no games.
4. I am not looking to overclock but would like to keep system latency to a min.
5. 2 fast reliable quiet hd drives. would consinder SSD but not sold on the idea
6. Already have Antec Solo case.

Will be running mainly Ableton Live with lots of track effects and plug-ins.

Any perspectives on how to go about deciding when the gear is at the good price point and expandable. I know the future is unknown, however your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

StokesPerc

Rucker

Re: When to build Upgradable BFB DAW

Post by Rucker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:40 am

Stokesperc wrote:
I'd like the system to:
4. Motherboard that will support future gen. processors
and have all the goodies one would expect for a DAW. FW800 would be nice

StokesPerc
I don't think you'll be seeing new CPUs from Intel in two years that use the 775 socket, so current quad core offerings will work for this plan. Given that Microcenter has the Core i7 i920 for $200, and motherboards for the same are getting down to a similar price, I'd look for that combo.

Stokesperc

i7 130w

Post by Stokesperc » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:33 am

Those chips are great for the money, but a little power hungry.
Are there any chips for that socket that run less than 130w.
If not are there any in the works? It seems that intel is going to go down to 35nm and should use less watts.

Stokesperc

1156 vs 1366

Post by Stokesperc » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:39 am

It seems like there are quad core 95w chips on the LGA 1156.
Is intel going to build new chips on both of these sockets for the foreseeable future?

Sorry for the double post.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:32 am

Sure it will. i5 (1156) is even more "fresh" than i7 (1366) and will likely get to see more efficient and better CPUs in the foreseeable future. No motherboard I know of has FW800 onboard, you're likely going to need an expansion card for that. Notice though that most FW800 cards are PCI-X so it'll be difficult to find PCI-Express based ones (32 PCI just won't cut it). I don't buy the SSD idea either right now, even though some offerings like Intel X25-M (34nm) look really tempting. Your best bet probably would be then to get Samsung F3 (500GB / platter + 7200RPM = SPEED BABY SPEED).

Ableton Live isn't really CPU hungry or something, depends on your plugins but you surely want as much RAM as possible. This was a "deal breaker" for me when considering i5/i7 because DDR3 RAM is SO expensive still. That's why I went with Socket 775 (ultra cheap, but very mature technology = win). There still can be some "issues" with i5/i7/DDR3 that's why I don't trust it yet. Plus why throw much money now for a "mid-end" i5 if you can get extremely high end Core 2 and when the time for a upgrade is, just get a new PC with i7 and hopefully less power hungry CPUs.

Besides I am not sure Antec Solo is the best for i5/i7 but it surely is one sexy case for DAW usage (I have one too :P)

Stokesperc

Post by Stokesperc » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:20 am

Thanks forth input sonic6k.

I am starting to second guess the approach of building an Upgradable BFB DAW instead of just a BFB DAW.

I have been running my studio off my Laptop P-m(1.6ghz) with 2 gigs of RAM. It records great (though it has crashed recording when I was also eciting effects in real time) however editing is another story. This being my only PC to edit on I have experienced the limitations of my CPU using Ableton. I know that even a budget PC would burn my current laptop, however, having experienced work flow problems because of the limitations of my system makes me want a system more powerful than I would need, just in case. I will look into socket 775.

I would like to run a 64bit os so I can install and use more than 3gigs of RAM. I'm not dure if W7 is going to have all the driver and compatability issues as Vista. Has anyone used beta W7 on a DAW system who could give some input?

Stokesperc

Post by Stokesperc » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:23 am

Thanks forth input sonic6k.

I am starting to second guess the approach of building an Upgradable BFB DAW instead of just a BFB DAW.

I have been running my studio off my Laptop P-m(1.6ghz) with 2 gigs of RAM. It records great (though it has crashed recording when I was also editing effects in real time) however editing is another story. This being my only PC to edit on I have experienced the limitations of my CPU using Ableton. I know that even a budget PC would burn my current laptop, however, having experienced work flow problems because of the limitations of my system makes me want a system more powerful than I would need, just in case. I will look into socket 775.

I would like to run a 64bit os so I can install and use more than 3gigs of RAM. I'm not dure if W7 is going to have all the driver and compatibility issues as Vista. Has anyone used beta W7 on a DAW system who could give some input?

Stokesperc

q9400s

Post by Stokesperc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:54 am

Has anyone done a build with the q9400s. It seems like
a good chip for a DAW. Powerful yet only 65wats.
Is there any difference in the performance compared to the q9400?
The only drawback is the price, but maybe that will drop in the next quarter.
I really would like the q9550s but that is $350.

Stokesperc
scsteelband.com