SSD and HDD Recomendations for daw

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stokesperc

SSD and HDD Recomendations for daw

Post by Stokesperc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:51 am

OK. If this is already covered in another post please let me know.

I want to know the optimal combination of drives and what to have on those drives for a DAW. I will be using ableton live with lot of VSts pluggins and samples. I will be recording as well.

I really like the super fast read speeds of the new SSDs. I hate how long it takes to upload sampled instrument into my program.

How should I set up the Hard Drives. One SSD for the OS and Software, another one for the most often used samples, and a HDD for recording and mass storage?

Thanks In Advance

Stokesperc

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:45 am

The answers surely depend on the size of your drives and your files. With a high performance SSD, there's really no performance gain in separating the OS/programs and data. They multitask way better than HDDs -- see Anand's first serious analysis.

I'd probably get a high performance SSD big enough for the OS, programs and most often used files, and a high capacity HDD for the rest. If low noise is a goal, then think about suspending/enclosing the HDD. Lots of info about that in these forums and in the main site.

Stokesperc

SSD set up

Post by Stokesperc » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:10 am

Does anyone happen to know of any articles that explain optimal OS
and program setup on an SSD. I know that the drives are good for reading but not writing. The more they get written on the slower they get and the quicker they die.

I'm looking for some help on how to install W7 and programs on the drive without the OS and programs using that drive for random writes to cash
data and temp files.

Please post some links if anyone knows some good articles/resources.

Stokesperc

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:42 pm

If your drive supports the TRIM command Windows 7 will not suffer from decreased write performance as it gets full. The only additional recommendation I would make is buy enough RAM that you can switch off the page file.

See the article linkede above on Anandtech.com and its successors for more details than you could possibly want to know.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:37 pm

Also, W7 will automatically deactivate some disk cleaning tools and defrag if it detects your SSD.