Gutting failing HTPC, looking for component suggestions

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

solbergg

Gutting failing HTPC, looking for component suggestions

Post by solbergg » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:46 am

Wow, lot of great information on this site. My situation is that I have had an HTPC connected to my 50" plasma for a couple of years that needs new hardware. It was originally put together when I replaced the components of my desktop computer. I bought a Silverstone LC17 ATX case, tossed the old parts into it, added tuners and suddenly I had myself an HTPC.

While the computer did the minimum of what I required, which was act as a DVR and music bank, it failed at running HD podcasts and even standard definition flash content (Hulu). Considering its using parts that I bought in 2002, it doesn't come as much of a surprise. Also, it runs much louder than I would prefer. I'm away from my home during the holidays, so I can't diagnose the exact problem right now, but my goal is to get the hardware to be able to output HD as well as be silent.

I have been building my own computers since the 90's, but each time I always went for the biggest and best for my money. HTPC's seem to have a completely different philosophy since you want to get just enough to do what you need. Because of this, I am lost on what I should purchase. I'm planning on keeping the case, hard drives, dvd drive, PSU (unless it turns out to be a noise culprit), and tuner cards (though I may need an HD one since I heard you can pull unlocked HD channels from cable now).

So, basically that leaves me needing to replace the mobo, CPU, GPU, and ram. I'm sure I'll be able to figure out a good cpu fan based on the reviews here, but suggestions on the other components would be great. I have a PS3 and xbox 360, so this comp will not be used for gaming or Blu-Ray. The main uses will be DVR, hulu, and media front end for my home server. My TV can accept HDMI, but I'll need an optical out because both of my receiver's HDMI inputs are occupied. I'm guessing this would require a soundcard, but maybe optical out is integrated nowadays.

If there is anyway to pull off these objectives while making the computer silent, I would be very appreciative!

Meato

Post by Meato » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:30 am

Mobo: choose from one of these
CPU: AMD Sempron 140 or AMD Athlon II X2 240
CPUHS: Scythe Mugen 2
GPU: Integrated
RAM: 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 1333

solbergg

Post by solbergg » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanks, Meato.

I'm thinking ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD (would link it if I could) for the mobo would work out well. What's the school of thought between the Sempron or the x2?

fpsrandy

Post by fpsrandy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:00 pm

You should look for a dual core atom board, with the ion chipset in my opinion.

It is low power, and the cpu and gpu can run passively in the right case (aka no sound).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813500030

This solves motherboard, cpu, gpu and sound. Also has hdmi output and an optical sound output. Some models come even with a wireless g NIC, or an external PSU using a laptop like power adapter (making it more silent). It also uses ddr2 memory, which is at the best price per gb point right now (or at least here in Canada).

The only downfall is there are NO pci or pci-e internal connectors. You will need to use usb based expansion adapters (for tv capture/tuner, or other stuff), and it only has three internal sata connectors (and one e-sata). The processor is built onto the board, meaning no further upgrades can be done...

I own one, and am very happy with it :)

Meato

Post by Meato » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:04 am

solbergg wrote:Thanks, Meato.

I'm thinking ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD (would link it if I could) for the mobo would work out well. What's the school of thought between the Sempron or the x2?
The EVO ATX would be my choice as well. The Sempron is an X2 with one core disabled. It will consumer less idle and load power at the cost of processing threads. For the applications you described, it should do the job fine, but spending another $20 and going dual core gives the system more legs for future uses.

@Randy
Solbergg already has a full size ATX case, 3.5" drives, 5.25" DVD, and multiple tuner cards. I don't believe he's wanting to scrap the whole lot and rebuild in a shoebox size case.

solbergg

Post by solbergg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:38 pm

Yeah, meato called it, I'm looking to stick with ATX. A good suggestion though, Randy, as I probably would want to go small if I were starting from scratch. Then again, if the PSU on an ATX will always be audible in a quiet room, then I would consider ditching the case.

My htpc finally died this week, so I'll be ordering soon. Are the new i3's something to consider?

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:56 pm

solbergg wrote:Yeah, meato called it, I'm looking to stick with ATX. A good suggestion though, Randy, as I probably would want to go small if I were starting from scratch. Then again, if the PSU on an ATX will always be audible in a quiet room, then I would consider ditching the case.

My htpc finally died this week, so I'll be ordering soon. Are the new i3's something to consider?
So far, the Core i3's review very nicely. However, there have been a couple of reports of screen tearing when using 1080p24. Last I checked Micro Center has the Core i3 530 for a very nice $99.99. Motherboards are in the $100 range which is pretty much the same as you would pay for an LGA-775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300/9400 or Intel G45.

However, I believe AMD is still the better option, value for money, unless you want HD audio bitstreaming (for Blu-ray/HD-DVD assuming your receiver supports it). Intel's also introducing a new socket (LGA-1155) come 2011 so if you're in the habit of upgrading processors, AMD would probably offer more upgrade paths in the future.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Does the latest version of Flash allow GPU acceleration? More importantly, does Hulu support it?

I ask, because if the answer to either question is "no" (and I'm fairly confident that's the case), you absolutely want the dual-core processor. Hulu, and other sites running Flash-based media players, are absolute pigs. I just tested a random Hulu clip on my computer (9600gt, e6550) - with Flash 10.0.32.18, 480p playback full-screen at 1600x1200 ran an average of 65% CPU usage.

If your TV is 720p, the Sempron might be able to pull it off, but I wouldn't risk it. Money spent on a basic dual-core processor is never wasted. If your TV is 1080p, you can forget the Sempron; it wouldn't be pretty.

Aside from that little issue, I agree with the suggestions you've gotten so far. A motherboard with the 785G chipset gives you all the benefits of DXVA and GPU offloading, without the expense and heat of a discrete graphics card.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:33 am

tehcrazybob wrote:Does the latest version of Flash allow GPU acceleration? More importantly, does Hulu support it?

If your TV is 720p, the Sempron might be able to pull it off, but I wouldn't risk it. Money spent on a basic dual-core processor is never wasted. If your TV is 1080p, you can forget the Sempron; it wouldn't be pretty.
Not yet. There's a beta version of Flash 10.1 that supports GPU acceleration but from reports, it seems to be problematic with Hulu still.

solbergg

Post by solbergg » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:31 am

Just wanted to say thanks, guys. I put this all together last weekend and its working perfectly!

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:01 pm

Hulu acceleration is still busted with Flash 10.1. I'm getting impatient because my S754 single core Athlon64 at 2.4ghz with an ATI 4350 would make a great Hulu box if they could get flash acceleration working .