Help me get quieter....

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gcwebbyuk

Help me get quieter....

Post by gcwebbyuk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:36 pm

My rig is about as far as I can get I think:
viewtopic.php?t=57382

Any other ideas to make it quieter - or is the new case the way to go? :?:

PlanetOfTheApes

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:05 am

"Thing is the case still isn't silent . It's quiet but not as quiet as I would like, and as I tend to have it running overnight in my bedroom I want it quieter. It still seems to be the drives that are making the most noise though, even suspended."

Why run overnight in your bedroom? if you're downloading torrents, I'd use a NAS with a torrent client capability (or another computer) located in another room.

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:34 am

Use it for listening to music etc etc - its my only pc, other than a laptop I mainly use when am out on site.

Would rather get this quiet - as a project - than give up and use something else :oops:

PlanetOfTheApes

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:15 am

Suggestions

Get Smart Drive Enclosures - "quiets hard drive noise by at least 4 decibels (difference is greater with a noisier hard drive)"

or

Replace your desktop drives with
a) one quiet green (slower spinnng) desktop drive; or
b) notebook drives; or
c) SSD for the OS and notebook drive(s) for the data; or
d) SSD for the OS and a remotely located NAS for data.

and/or

Case insulation (AcoustiPack kit) or replace with a well insulated case such as an Antec Solo.
Last edited by PlanetOfTheApes on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:23 am

Yeah have been looking at the Smart Drive and the Scythe equivalent - Quiet Drive.

It's definately the spinning noise rather than vibration / chattering from the disks themselves.

I have two laptop disks I am going to do tests with, WD Blue edition 500GB and 320GB, although a quick HDTune test showed all their specs to be considerably slower than the 3.5"s - probably as they are 5400rpm.

SSD is also something I have thought of, just quite expensive.

merlyn
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by merlyn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:26 pm

just watch out for those scythe quiet drives, they're more hd coolers than silencers.
i tried them because they're cheaper than smart drives but they turned out to be not as good as my silentmaxx hd silencers which i'm having trouble getting hold of. i'd imagine the smart drive would be better than the silentmaxx.