TNN 500AF Questions

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dikonstrukt

TNN 500AF Questions

Post by dikonstrukt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi there,
I bought this unit from EPCN 5 or 6 years ago. I love it and it's always been good to me. Up until I installed Win 7, which has caused my old video card to keep generating errors. I ended up going down to Windows Classic and that solved the errors from happening a lot, but they still occasionally occur.

I'm guessing it's time for me to upgrade my video card. Does anyone have any ideas of what card would work best with this box? I currently have an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache.

I've also been considering upgrading the CPU and MB. I still have a Pentium 4 3GHz in there :)

Any ideas about upgrading these? Level of difficulty? Have I reached the end of the road with this machine?

Thanks!

PlanetOfTheApes

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Unless you're a absolute silent PC noise freak. I can't think of a single rational reason for you to upgrade your 500. Your decision.

Sounds like you'll need help upgrading. Ask the guys at Endpcnoise.com if they'll do it for you. They're the only guys I'd trust to upgrade a 500.

I suggest doing a full component upgrade now while compatible Intel components (775 socket) still exist. Get an SSD instead of a harddrive if you don't need a massive amount of storage space.

Read this post,

viewtopic.php?t=54002

dikonstrukt

Post by dikonstrukt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Well, yeah, I kind of am. The reason I bought in the first place was because my Dell, which was only two or so years old at the time, made a quiet but high pitched buzzing sound from the fans. It gave me tinnitus.

Since I don't have any experience outside of the Zalman, though, is it possible that fan-based silent PCs can be as quiet?

Appreciate the help. Thanks for your thoughts.

PlanetOfTheApes

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:08 pm

As an ex 500A owner myself, I understand your concern. However, with careful component selection, a fan based system can be virtually inaudible when positioned under a desk.

For example,

A very quiet fan based system with an SSD, can be at least as quiet as a 500AF system with one quiet desktop harddrive.

However, I can't stress enough how important component selection is in achieving this result.

tnnuser

Post by tnnuser » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi dikonstrukt

I share your desire to stay with the TNN - I have two of them and am just about to upgrade then while one can still get the parts. Sadly I don't think the latest 1156 and 1366 sockets will be compatible with the Zalman heatsinks.

That said many of the Socket 775 motherboards fit perfectly and are still available. I currently have a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R but the more recent Gigabyte socket 775 boards have a similar layout and should be fine.

Likewise, almost any of the Core 2 Duo processors will be fine - I have an E6750 and am just about to change it for the E8500.

Provided your gaming requirements are fairly modest you can still get a number of graphics cards that will work well. I currently use a BFG 256 Mb NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT and have no problems with heat.

If any one else has any suggestions as to how to use a 1156 motherboard with the TNN (fans are not an option) I would welcome their thoughts.

PlanetOfTheApes

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:44 pm

tnnuser wrote: If any one else has any suggestions as to how to use a 1156 motherboard with the TNN (fans are not an option) I would welcome their thoughts.
You guys may have a genuine reason to keep upgrading your TNN case. But I suspect some TNN owners delude themselves into a belief that their TNN case is the only path to true silence.

Out of interest, have you built a very quiet fan based system recently? If yes and not happy, why?

I tried upgrading my TNN500A to 1366 socket but couldn't pull it off. Although, my mobo selection was poor and then I just lost interest. Components around cpu area interfering with the cpu block is the main problem.

I used the zalman 478 socket mounting bits to secure the cpu block over the 1366 socket. 1156 socket holes will be better fit, but not a perfect fit. You'll need to buy a Thermalright LGA775 RM (retention module), then cut the two plastic bars off, so that the 4 corners bits are free to be positioned over the 1156 holes. Corner bits might need to be cut/ground to clear cpu area components and will need to be angled inward slightly when mounted.

Note I had to cut the cpu block (copper) on one edge to clear capacitors when I upgraded from 478 -> 775 socket a few years ago

Good luck

tnnuser

Post by tnnuser » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:01 pm

PlanetOfTheApes wrote:
You guys may have a genuine reason to keep upgrading your TNN case. But I suspect some TNN owners delude themselves into a belief that their TNN case is the only path to true silence.

Out of interest, have you built a very quiet fan based system recently? If yes and not happy, why?
Hi PlanetOfTheApes

Thanks for the response.

I don't doubt there are many other ways of making a quiet machine.

Although I have to admit that prior to the TNN I spent a small fortune on so called quiet cases, heat sinks and silent fans - none of which were any where near completely silent. I am sure things have moved on and that with the newer low power processors, bigger heat sinks and fans it is possible to approach the noise level of a system with no fans. But why go to the trouble when I still have two systems that make no discernible noise.

Aside from that I think there is something uniquely satisfying about the engineering of the TNN. It is almost as though it has been machined from a single block of aluminium. I will be very sad when they have to be replaced.

As for the 775 sockets I did buy one board (an Abit think) that didn't fit but the Gigabyte boards I use now have been perfect.

I admire your efforts with the 1366 - fixings aside I couldn't see a way around the components that block the path the heat pipes would have to take.

Unless I am missing something very obvious I will probably stick with the 775's for a while longer.

PlanetOfTheApes

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:15 am

Ok no problem