HTPC Using Silverstone GD05 Case... need advice on my parts

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

coolhand

HTPC Using Silverstone GD05 Case... need advice on my parts

Post by coolhand » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:24 pm

I think it is time to rebuild a sweet HTPC and put Skywalker to work in the den as permanent DL machine beside my Dell Gamming PC, The Build I want to do is a basic HTPC, nice case minimal guts and silent, used for DL media, HD content, music, basic computing, surfing, I will be using XP SP2 OS (I have free copies) Possibly upgrading to a Blu-ray player but not now, keeping the budget around $300-$400(priced this out from bestdirect), using onboard video and sound for now. The parts I want are:
all feedback much appreciated thanks in advance!!

Mobo:
ASUS M4A785-M mATX AM3/AM2+ 785G DDR2 PCI-E16 PCI-E 2XPCI SATA RAID Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard
Or
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H AMD785G mATX AM2+ PCI-E DDR2 Video Sound GBLAN CrossFireX HDMI Motherboard

Assistance choosing would be Cool.

RAM:
Kingston ValueRAM KVR667D2N5/2G PC2-5300 2GB 1X2GB DDR2-667 240PIN DIMM Memory

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core Processor AM2 2.7GHZ 2X512KB 65W 65NM
(is this overkill can someone help with this?)

Case:
Silverstone Grandia GD05B Black HTPC mATX Desktop Case 1X5.25 2X3.5INT 1X2.5INT 3X120MM Fan No PS

PSU:
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ400SXS 400W ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM

meine39

Post by meine39 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:16 pm

Just finished my first HTPC build and can offer some comments on some of your choices.

Motherboard: I went with the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H AMD785G that you listed as one of your two choices (I have used a couple of Gigabyte boards and have been quite pleased). My choice was based on hundreds of overwhelmingly positive reviews on Newegg for use in HTPC builds. I have no information on the ASUS board as I did not research it, but it seems to me both Gigabyte and ASUS are reputable brands.

RAM: I had two 1-gig sticks of left over DDR2 800 RAM lying about, so a no brainer for me. Just some generic stuff from a Dell I upgraded, but seems to work fine.

Processor: I went with the AMD Sempron Sargas single core 2.7 GHz. I like the low power (45W) and frankly couldn't pass it up in a combo deal from Newegg with the Gigabyte motherboard - $92.98 USD shipped - so the processor essentially cost me $12.98 after the $20 combo discount. Processor works great, and I figure if it becomes a bottleneck, I'll replace it and put the Sempron back in my parts inventory. The Athlon you list would have been my next choice, although again I like the low power consumption of the Sempron. What I really would have liked is the old 4850e dual core 45W that I have in my WHS, but that no longer seems to be for sale. The Athlon is perhaps a bit overkill, but the low power offerings from AMD are pretty thin these days.

Case: I am using the Antec NSK2480, which was $100 USD shipped from Amazon, and includes a 380W Antec "Green" PSU. This is an awesome case for the price, and is VERY well thought out, but it is HUGE at around 17"x17" square - it's a bit obnoxious sitting on top of a small cabinet in our den. I have been researching alternative cases, and have settled on the Silverstone GD05B that you mention - it's around 5" shallower than the Antec, and will likely work much better for my limited space environment. The overall size specs of the Silverstone GD05B case are very close to my Telco-issued STB (Verizon), so should "stack" nicely.

PSU: The 380W Antec powers everything just fine (1 TB Hitachi HD, LG DVD Drive, Hauppauge (sp?) 1850 TV Tuner card). When I switch out to the Silverstone case, I plan on using the OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W - overkill on the wattage IMHO, but I like the modular cable design, 80% efficiency, and reasonable price/good reviews. Note that many of the Silverstone GD05B reviews I read referenced the need for a modular PSU to avoid cable clutter and management issues - nice to use only the cables you need.

HD: I went with the Hitachi 1 TB - I have a number of Hitachis in my WHS and they have been faultless. Also liked that the local Microcenter B&M had the retail boxed version on sale for $69.99 USD before tax.

OS: Went with 64-bit Win 7 Pro for the built in Media Center software as well as the fact that I can remote in to it for OS-related upkeep.

Remote: The Hauppauge 1850 came with a MCE remote - works flawlessly with Win 7 Media Center.

The Gigabyte motherboard outputs video/audio via the on-board HDMI port to a Samsung Hi Def Flat Panel TV - picture quality is astounding. We use it mainly to view our ripped DVD collection via Windows Media Center. I really like the versatility, number and variety of connections, and overall quality of the Gigabyte board. Good luck with your build!

coolhand

What I went With

Post by coolhand » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks for your Input; I ended up with the Asus Board after reading countless reviews.

My specs for the final build

Case: Silverstone Grandia GD05 ($89.10)(Awesome case, so simple and stunning at the same time) comes with 3 120mm silverstone generic fans, replacing with 3/2 Nexus Real Silent 120mm fans connected to my Silverstone FP33 fan controller.

Mobo: Asus M4A785-M mATX ($84.43)

CPU: AMD Athlon 60 x2 5200+ Dual Core (65w) ($59.99)

Heatsink: Scythe Big Shuriken (great temps from my CPU, never above 26*C with full basic HTPC load HD Video) ($49.99)

PSU: Antec Basiq BP550 Plus 550W power supply (awesome deal at $49.99 being modular and 80+ certified)

HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB sata Drive (recommended silent HDD) ($55.48)

RAM: Kingston Value Ram 1x 2Gb (so i can easily upgrade to 4GB after the dust settles on the DDR3 DDR2 debate) ($48.03)

Is it Silent.... Yes Inaudible from 1M away... Could it be quieter... yes hence the Nexus fans, I may only run 2, once on either side to keep the Positive airflow pressure, PSU fan is silent.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:57 pm

It's probably too late for it to matter, but it's a good thing you switched away from the OCZ PSU, as you probably wouldn't have found it quiet enough for your liking (based on anecdotal reviews of it plus my experience with their non-modular Game XStream). They may have updated it to be competitive on the noise front since I looked into it 2-3 years ago, but I'd be wary of it until they get a clean bill of health from this site's reviewers.