Low(ish) Power NAS/File Server/HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

truckid

Low(ish) Power NAS/File Server/HTPC

Post by truckid » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:39 am

Ok, I am finally ready to order my parts for my new build and would appreciate any info in terms of what kind of power consumption I can expect, and if there any components I should reconsider.

I am looking to build an always on NAS /file server, primary running PS3MediaServer and Squeezebox Centre, via Ethernet. In the future I may hook it up directly to a TV and use it as a HTPC. At the moment I have a single 1Gb HDD but I plan to add upto another 2/3 HDDs.

Because it will always be on, energy consumption is quite important, but I need to balance this with enough CPU power to transcode video files via PS3MediaServer (and some extra headroom), hence AMD 240e.

CPU - AMD 240e
MB - MSI 785GM-E51
CASE - Coolermaster 341 Elite
HDD - SAMSUNG 1TB F3 Eco HDD ( already have HDD)
MEMORY - Crucial 4GB (2x2Gb)
PSU - Seasonic S12II-330 Bronze PSU

The component I am not sure about is the memory. I wouldn't have thought that there is any significant difference between the types of DDR3, I have opted for the the following from Crucial ;

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspe ... 5664BA1339

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what kind of consumption I can expect. I say it will always be on, but plan to utilise Wake On Lan so it won't be on 24/7.

Thanks

HFat

Post by HFat » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:09 am

The idle power consumption is going to be down to the mobo and the PSU essentially as the rest should consume about 12 watts (assuming 3-4W for the memory but I might be wrong about that).

I'd be interested in your rationale for choosing this case and PSU.

And, if anyone has data on mainboard power consumption, I'd very much like to see it. We have a pretty good fix on what the Biostar A760G consumes but what about the others?

truckid

Case/PSU

Post by truckid » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:19 am

I chose the PSU, following my advice in my posting on the PSU forum

viewtopic.php?t=57590

Though my power requirements are low, I've read each HDD takes upto 20W when spinning up (potentially 3/4 HDDs in the future). Even then I thought I might be borderline between an 80Plus 300W and a PICO, but the PICO seemed like more hassle and expense.

The case seems 'perfect' as I want a small MicroATX which could accommdate 3/4 HDDs.

I'm open to other suggestions

HFat

Re: Case/PSU

Post by HFat » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:23 am

truckid wrote:I've read each HDD takes upto 20W when spinning up (potentially 3/4 HDDs in the future).
I wouldn't be surprised if they'd consume more than 20W actually given that the F2's spec says ~24W according to SPCR.

truckid

Post by truckid » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:56 am

So I guess I should stick to the Seasonic 330W ?

Zargon

Post by Zargon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:23 am

were you able to find much info on undervolting/clocking on that motherboard?

truckid

ASUS v MSI

Post by truckid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:11 am

I haven't found much info on underclocking on the board, just because I haven't really considered it.

I was just about to purchase the components, but have seen that the Asus M4A785TD-M EVO is not much more and I'm tempted to go for it ;

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-M4A785TD-M-EVO

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=1078965

I like the fact that the ASUS has solid capacitors, a couple more features, good reviews and the ASUS brand. What I can't get over is the fact that ASUS is more power hungry. Is this significant ?

Though the models are not exactly the same in the feature (below). Would it be safe to assume that the similar Motherboards have similar power consumption ? ( i.e. the MSI 785g-E65/MSI 785g-E51 and M4A785TD-V EVO/M4A785TD-M EVO

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article967-page1.html

Thanks

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:27 am

Motherboards draw far different power figures from the wall despite having identical chipset. And ASUS tends to draw a bit more power than MSI.