i7-860 build questions

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AuTX Buckeye

i7-860 build questions

Post by AuTX Buckeye » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:54 pm

I've got all the basics picked out... I could use some real help on the case, cpu heatsink/fan, case fans and PSU

case: I have 3 options i'm looking at but will consider other recommendations
1. use my current Antec P180
2. buy Cooler Master CM690 II
3. buy Zalman HS2 (haven't seen any reviews and price is still a bit high)

Cpu heatsink/fan:
i'm looking at the Scythe MUGEN-2

Case fans:
I've check the recommendations but they haven't been updated since 07

PSU:
its really down to Corsair or Seasonic (750W range), i'm just wondering if the noise and performance are worth the price difference .

thanks in advance for the replies

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:33 pm

If you've got a P180, why not re-use it? saves a good deal of money.

What PSU do you currently have?

Are you aiming to upgrade or build a second rig?

Mugen 2 is a good one, could I also poke the idea of a Thermalright HR-01 plus? very good low airflow cooler, could even be ducted to the exhaust fan.

What's the need in 700W range? are you running SLI or Crossfire? otherwise there's almost zero need in that kind of power on tap, for any reason.

AuTX Buckeye

Post by AuTX Buckeye » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:45 pm

this is a full on upgrade, my machine is from 06 and is itching for the pasture :)

Yeah i was kinda leaning towards re-using the case. But I'm just curious about the others because they should have better airflow and better cable management options inside the case

current PSU is a module 550W Antec, i bought back in 06, it was an open box buy and didn't realize that until i had it install :(

not looking to Crossfire, i'll be using my old 4580 until prices for the 5850 & 5870 become more reasonable, so i'm trying to plan for that.

I'll check out that cooler, I read some good reviews of the Mugen keeping temps low, because I will probably OC slightly.

even at lower Wattage, is the Seasonic worth the price over the Corsairs?

thanks again.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:18 pm

I'd say you don't need anywhere near 700+ watts for that...I'd say what you have now could probably do it, but if you're worried, maybe a new 520W will work out, but you're not really short on power anywhere, single graphics, and not a horribly power hungry CPU.

I think (I could be wrong) but seasonic makes the corsairs, or something strange like that...Enermax is pushing out 87+ power supplies, that might be something to look into, if you're itching for the higher wattages (600ish), but if not, a good 80 or 84+ will be just as good, I mean, a dual Xeon setup somewhere in the gallery is only drawing less than 350W, you're using about half the processing power, if that.

The P180 hasn't really lost any beef, there were all those old threads about modding the filter doors on the P180 and P182, aside from that, it's still a top case choice.

AuTX Buckeye

Post by AuTX Buckeye » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:03 am

Yeah i'm trying to future proof as much as possible with my PSU. I would rather go over board now and keep it for several years. I don't htink i stated this but i do plan on upgrading 5850 or an 5870 probably by the end of the year... when the prices become reasonable

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:40 am

cable management isn't enough of a reason to bail on the p180... worst case, you could cut the same cable routing holes in it that you'd get with a new p183.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:39 pm

danimal wrote:cable management isn't enough of a reason to bail on the p180... worst case, you could cut the same cable routing holes in it that you'd get with a new p183.
Seconded.

Stay with the P180, as it sounds like you are unlikely to have so powerful a system that you will need more airflow than the P180 has.

As for CPU heatsinks, look at some of the following (roughly in order of performance):

Noctua DH-14
Prolimatech Megahalems
Thermalright Venomous X
TRUE Rev C
Noctua NH-U12P

If you keep the P180, go with a Nexus or Scythe Slipstream for rear exhaust and front middle intake and a Scythe S-Flex E for top exhaust.

Maybe a Scythe Kama PWM or two quiet fans in push/pull for your CPU cooler.

You could keep your current PSU until you decide to upgrade to a new graphics card - no point over buying now. Prices might drop by the end of the year when you buy a new graphics card. About the only reason I would buy a new PSU now would be if you just wanted to drop in your new graphics card when you later upgrade.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 - hope it helps!

AuTX Buckeye

Post by AuTX Buckeye » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone... i think i've narrowed down my PSU choices

CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

don't really care modular or not just trying to decide on the efficiency levels are worth the extra price...

AuTX Buckeye

Post by AuTX Buckeye » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:06 pm

Bah... or i might go with the comparable 650W versions of those... Can't decide whether the extra money is worth it. . but yes when i buy the new graphics card i'd rather just plug and play.

AuTX Buckeye

Post by AuTX Buckeye » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks to everyone for the response... i'm going with the seasonic 750... i know its over kill but i'm not gonna be replacing it for a while....

my question now is CPU fan:

I know there is a list here... i've read it... just looking for opinions on these on for noise, ease of install, and fan recommendations for the thermarights:

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B
Thermalright Venomous-X
Thermalright MUX-120
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 (this gets recommended and reviewed well but seems a bit noisy)

thanks again everyone... this is my last dilemma

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:00 pm

I'm afraid that Corsair PSUs are rather loud by SPCR standard. X750 bests all items in your list.

LM741C

Post by LM741C » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:51 pm

AuTX Buckeye wrote: my question now is CPU fan:

I know there is a list here... i've read it... just looking for opinions on these on for noise, ease of install, and fan recommendations for the thermarights:

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B
Thermalright Venomous-X
Thermalright MUX-120
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 (this gets recommended and reviewed well but seems a bit noisy)

thanks again everyone... this is my last dilemma
I used the MUX-120 in a recent build, it handles the CPU pretty well on a more constrained case (P180 mini). I ditched the fan that came with it and replaced it with a Scythe SFLEX 120.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:32 pm

All the coolers mentioned are good choices.

But the Thermalright HR-01 plus is almost as good as the best of them, and it performs just as well as the Prolimatechs with low CFM.

If you are looking for quiet you can cheat a little with it as well. Thermalright makes special ducts for it. You can connect it to the case fan that pulls the air out of your case and get double duty from one fan.

The blue Thermalright duct is longer than the red one. They are both designed specifically to hook up to the HR-01 on one end and a 120mm fan on the other.

There is a second cheat you can do. When you connect your exhaust fan to the HR-01 plus, reverse it so it hits the heat sink with cool outside air. That is probably worth 6 or 7 degrees right there.

Get a strong PWM fan to use as your case fan, and you probably have something that will cool a non-overclocked CPU better than the the best of the other heat sinks and do it more quietly at the same time.

Probably for you use, the PWM fan will never need to go above 500rpm.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:52 pm

1. You can't go wrong with Nexus fans. Noctuas aren't bad either.

2. I really like the 1200 rpm slipstream running at 5 volts. It is as quiet as any fan I have ever used. And if you need more punch you can set it at 7 or 9 volts and its still basically very quiet. And at those voltages it really starts moving some air.

3. If you want a PWM fan that will only punch things up when you really need it, and stay quiet the rest of the time, the Akasa Apache is in my opinion the best choice. It can be quiet or deliver some CFM as necessary. It's advertised pressure is better (75% ot 100% better) than anything you will get out of a Scythe S-flex or a Noctua.

4. Why the heck wouldn't you use the Seasonic.

If you consider it to be a fanless PSU with a fan that only kicks in at high power levels, it isn't overkill for you, it just about right. I recollect that SPCR says it can supply up to 300 watts before its fan kicks in.

Other than a true fanless power supply, its probably the next power supply I will buy. I don't really need any more of them, but I have a special project I want it for (I am going to run it as an external power supply to a small Lian Li PC-Q07 case in order to make room for a tower heat sink in the case.