4-pin ATX-12v, or 8-pin EPS +12v plug in an EATX-12v mobo?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hbm55

4-pin ATX-12v, or 8-pin EPS +12v plug in an EATX-12v mobo?

Post by hbm55 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:39 pm

My new power supply for an ASUS P5B board has two 4-pin ATX-12 plugs. The cpu is Intel Core2 E6400 (no tweaks). The manual never explains more than what you can do. In this case, the board takes 4-pin, or 8-pin. I think the two 4-pins will fit the 8-pin configuration.

Is there any advantage to using a full 8-pin configuration?

The state of technology has moved on in the three years since my system was one of the leading edge systems. The above is new stuff to me, so please forgive a dumb question, if such.

Thanks,

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:55 am

The additional pins gives a greater current capacity across the connector. This is only a factor if the CPU can draw more current than a 4 pin connector can handle. This will never be an issue with the CPU you are using. It's really only a potential issue with older (pre Conroe) high power consumption CPUs.

If you do have 2, 4 pin leads from your PS and an 8 pin connector, then connect both. If you only have one 4 pin connector then don't worry about it.

hbm55

Post by hbm55 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks, B_r. It has run fine with 4-pin setup, so I won't worry on that part.

Right now I am having posting issues, after a malware attack. Trying to chase down that gremlin.....