advise on low power desktop

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WheelJack

advise on low power desktop

Post by WheelJack » Sat May 08, 2010 1:00 pm

I am planning a build around the following:
i3-530 (use IGP)
H55 microATX board w/gigabit lan
250GB 2.5"
picoPSU 150

I'm aiming for 30-35w idle and 80-100w load based on Tomshardware's "Clarkdale's Efficiency" article.

I'd like to finalize the case, HS and how I am going to cool this guy.
Most of the time it will be idle. Otherwise it will be used for desktop use (email,web,docs). I may use it for video encoding but not often. And it might get some HDD and network traffic for sharing files. I might add a Samsung F3 1TB HDD.

I have looked at a lot of different cases and have a few favorites.
Antec mini p180, Antec NSK3480, Antec NSK1380, Lian Li PC-A03 and Silverstone TJ08.
I don't mind the size of a case as I have room. Will be up on a desk.
I think I'm leaning toward the mini p180. I don't think I will be using an ATX psu so that slot will just be open which is why I like the separate zones. Fan filters are nice as I have a dog. I don't like vents on the sides for dust and noise.

It would be awesome if I could cool this thing with 1 or 2 fans. Maybe a Scythe mugen2 (rev b) with fan pushing air through the HS and pointing at the top vent. A scythe AP-15 on the HS or as case fan?
Or point that fan out the back and have a front case fan directly in line with it?
I'm brain storming but also trying to cross off ideas to narrow it down. hehe
Maybe have a fan on the back side of the heatsink for pulling and cover the sides of the HS as a duct to force air to go through all parts of the HS? I'm guessing this will create more noise since air is being funneled and the fan is closer to the top vent with nothing in the way. But does this cool better and allow for lower RPM?

I noticed the adapter included at mini-box w/the 150XT is not 150w but 102w. Should I be OK assuming I don't add any other hardware? Should I look at alternatives? I would rather not get a flexPSU as I don't really like the cramped cases that those fit into.

The fan stuff is speculation and I can figure it out when I get parts but I do have to narrow down the case, hs etc. And any advice on the parts is welcome too.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun May 09, 2010 3:03 pm

If you can stretch for the extra cost, why not go for a mini-ITX H55 motherboard and fit it into a Lian Li Q07?

Zotac is currently selling a H55 mini-ITX motherboard, and Gigabyte is apparently coming out with one soon.

Add a large tower heatsink of your choice and you'll only need one fan, on the CPU heatsink, which should be enough to keep everything else cool. A Thermalright HR-01+ with socket 1156 bolt through kit, a Xigmatek S1283 with bolt through kit or a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ would be great when coupled with a Nexus Real Silent fan.

My Q07-based system is for all intents and purposes silent, even though it took a bit of modding to fit an undersize mATX motherboard in there. (And before you ask, I don't think any H55 mATX motherboards will fit).

However, to answer your question, personally I'd go for the NSK3480 (which also has front intake filters IIRC) or TJ-08 before the P180 mini. With a picoPSU and a low power system like you are proposing, you might be able to run the CPU heatsink passively (or with a low rpm fan at 5V) and have a low rpm exhaust fan as well.

With the P180 mini, you have to deal with the top 200mm fan, which may not be all that quiet. Even if you remove it, you'd have to cover the grill somehow to stop noise escaping.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Sun May 09, 2010 6:21 pm

JamieG wrote:If you can stretch for the extra cost, why not go for a mini-ITX H55 motherboard and fit it into a Lian Li Q07?

Zotac is currently selling a H55 mini-ITX motherboard, and Gigabyte is apparently coming out with one soon.

Add a large tower heatsink of your choice and you'll only need one fan, on the CPU heatsink, which should be enough to keep everything else cool. A Thermalright HR-01+ with socket 1156 bolt through kit, a Xigmatek S1283 with bolt through kit or a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ would be great when coupled with a Nexus Real Silent fan.
Both of these boards have components on the bottom near the socket making coolers with backplates somewhat iffy. Besides, if the OP has the space for it, then microATX is a good idea as it allows for future expansion.

A comment on the 102W power brick - I do believe one of the complaints against it is it has a fan. With the parts on your list, I think your target power consumption is achievable. I'd actually expect ~25W idle and ~65W CPU load with those parts.

WheelJack

Post by WheelJack » Sun May 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Ya know, I never came across the Q07 when searching before but I bet that's because I filtered out itx cases/boards on newegg.
That case does look pretty nice and the cost is better than the others plus free shipping. Although when I buy cases they usually last through a few builds and an ITX case would be pretty focused.

Like I have a Antec fusion w/microATX for my HTPC. So at any point if I wanted to switch hardware with the other microATX cases I could.

I will definitely have to look through the ITX boards/cases though to make sure I'm not overlooking something that would catch my eye like this case. Thanks for the suggestion.

What is the best way to cover up open power supply hole, just tape?

NSK3480 is probably my second choice. I think I started looking at alternatives because of the 92mm front mounts instead of them being 120mm.
The mini p180 and NSK3480 both have the 2 front vents with one of them being in line with the rear and filters on front etc. I would have to stick with exhaust out the back with the NSK3480 while with the mini p180 I could ignore the back and just exhaust out the top. (more options)

If I go microATX and not a small case then it is going to be up on a desk with the top of the case at or above my head level. Do you think noise from the top vent would be heard more than compared to noise bouncing off the back wall from a rear fan?

I'll have to check out reviews on that power brick I guess. Didn't realize it had a fan in it. And same with cooler and board compatibility.
I like the Thermalright HR 01 and Scythe Mugen2. Heard the coolermaster is a good value but haven't really checked it out.

edit:and it looks like you have a similar setup (cases) as I do. hehe
HTPC (fusion), gaming pc (p180) and now I'm looking at a low power main pc.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun May 09, 2010 10:10 pm

WheelJack wrote:What is the best way to cover up open power supply hole, just tape?
Actually, I got some modder's mesh and cut it so it fits in the PSU holding bracket on the Q07 and held it in place with some nuts and bolts. Looks a bit cleaner IMO and allows some venting.
WheelJack wrote:NSK3480 is probably my second choice. I think I started looking at alternatives because of the 92mm front mounts instead of them being 120mm.

The mini p180 and NSK3480 both have the 2 front vents with one of them being in line with the rear and filters on front etc. I would have to stick with exhaust out the back with the NSK3480 while with the mini p180 I could ignore the back and just exhaust out the top. (more options)

If I go microATX and not a small case then it is going to be up on a desk with the top of the case at or above my head level. Do you think noise from the top vent would be heard more than compared to noise bouncing off the back wall from a rear fan?
It's not the top vent in the P180 Mini - it is more the fact that the 200mm fan at the top is a little noisy. You could always remove this fan, and block that vent, which would be quite ok for a low power system like yours.
WheelJack wrote:edit:and it looks like you have a similar setup (cases) as I do. hehe
HTPC (fusion), gaming pc (p180) and now I'm looking at a low power main pc.
Yep, its a great setup :D. I've got a fairly basic KVM switch connected to both my main PC and gaming PC, which is also pretty handy. It was pretty cheap from memory - only downside is that it has VGA cables.

WheelJack

Post by WheelJack » Mon May 10, 2010 8:09 am

For cooling, do you think it is better to (duct or no duct):
1.have a rear fan and a passive CPU heatsink
2.have a push fan on the heatsink and no rear case fan
3.have a pull fan on the heatsink and no rear case fan

I'm thinking I want to try #2 for possibly lower noise and better CPU cooling but I'm not sure about air recirculating when it doesn't quite make it out of the case.

WheelJack

Post by WheelJack » Tue May 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Playing the devil's advocate here.
How would a Athlon II X2 240 and 785g board compare power wise to the i3? Would it be able to hit 30-40w idle? Run on the picoPSU 150xt?
I don't care about a little performance loss as it is a basic desktop for the most part.
Most of the reviews use a graphics card for their numbers and forum posts hitting 20-30w idle seem to be undervolted which I won't be doing. Running @ stock.

Would shave $100 off if it can hit similar power consumption.

WheelJack

Post by WheelJack » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:04 pm

Got the parts. Assembled and tested.

Intel i3 530
Thermalright HR-01 Plus heatsink
Intel DH55TC motherboard
4GB Kingston DDR3
Toshiba 250GB 2.5" hard drive
Antec Mini P180

1) tested above with Antec 430w PSU (from Fusion case)
2) removed 430w PSU and installed the picoPSU 150-XT w/102w brick. Also added my 1TB F3 Samsung HDD and finished installing drivers.

So now this computer is in place of my IntelQ9300/ATI4850-140w-idle machine for 24/7 file serving to HTPC and docs/email desktop.

1) 25-30c idle CPU temps (w/case closed). 1 exhaust fan on low. Fan is not silent but very quiet. The height of the fan is at or above ear level.
2) idle (w/pico and F3 installed)

Zargon

Post by Zargon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:24 pm

hows is it running? did you do any benchmarks?

my wifes machine is a crappy g31 board with a PD @ 2.5ghz. It snot really too slow, just wonky, doesnt sleep right, wakes up when it does randomly to do non existant scheduled tasks. and crashes once a month when it tries to wake up.

so I am thinking of a new build, that wouldnt have to be that much faster than hers, and this one looks promising....