PSU for a basic needs system...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jrryfwlr

PSU for a basic needs system...

Post by jrryfwlr » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:27 am

I recently got interested in quiet computing after looking into upgrading my noisy P4 based system. My requirements are modest. Old or mainstream games (Sims 2, COD4 low detail) as well as some Illustrator, Photoshop and minor video editing. I also watch a lot of DVD quality movies. I'm thinking of using these parts:

Sempron 140 - 45watt TDP, can be overclocked, can be unlocked.
Asus M4A785-M - Cheap. Decent overclocking. Low power 785 chipset. Allows for overclocking of the IGP (I don't want to have to get a discrete card).
2 DDR2 800 sticks - Dual channel, unimportant.
160GB SATA I have lying around
DVDRW I have lying around
Micro Atx case I have lying around

All of this has already been decided, I think. The only thing I'm really not to sure on is the power supply. I originally thought of a 120watt Pico, but was having second thoughts, and considering an Antec Earthwatts 380. What do you guys think?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:37 am

Welcome to SPCR! :)

It takes a bit of tinkering to get a PicoPSU system working ok but it's worth it imho. Also I think there are better alternatives to the Asus board. MSI and Gigabyte usually offers better boards that beats Asus in areas like low power consumption.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:45 am

A 120w PicoPSU would be sufficient for this.
If as you say you want to do some basic photo/media editing and encoding, and with the general cheapness of AMD CPU's might i suggest you upgrade the sempron (if you havent already purchased it. If you have ignore the rest of the post :) ).
Its not a bad chip, i use one in my file server and have had to use it on occasions when my mainPC is out of action and it does fine for general work.
I would suggest getting a Athlong X2 240. Its pretty much the cheapest Dual core chip. It costs about £15 more than the sempron but its pretty much twice as fast, while consuming only a few watts more (except under load, but it'll still be within your 120w PSU limit with the rest of your componants).
Heres a review of the Sempron 140 which also kindly has the 240 to compare to. Much better for photoshop type things and gaming thanks to having 2 cores instead of 1.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:52 am

But as jrryfwlr says, the Sempron 140 can be overclocked and (possibly) unlocked. It has great value, but it's a bit of a gamble.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:22 am

Given the OP's requirements, I'd go for the extra core and cache of the Athlon.

jrryfwlr

Post by jrryfwlr » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:32 am

@Vicotnik

Price is the only deciding factor between the Asus motherboard I am getting and an MSI/Gigabyte one.

It's good to hear the Pico would work. What do you mean by tinkering? You can just plug it in like an ordinary PSU, right?

@Bob

Nothing has been purchased. In New Zealand a 240 will set me back ~$95, almost double that of a $50 140. If I find the unlocked core unstable, I can always upgrade later, but currently I'm restricted by my limited money.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:50 am

I'd try to save a few bucks and watts by purchasung MSI 785G boards. Usually, MSI tends to draw less power at idle compared to ASUS, Gigabyte and costs less as well. And use the saved money to buy guaranteed dual cores like X2 240. That's what I'd do under your circumstance.

MtnHermit

Earthwatts

Post by MtnHermit » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:25 am

jrryfwlr wrote:The only thing I'm really not to sure on is the power supply. I originally thought of a 120watt Pico, but was having second thoughts, and considering an Antec Earthwatts 380. What do you guys think?
I have a couple of the Earthwatts 380's, great PSU. Quiet, efficient, and low cost. If your case will hold a ATX PSU then a no-brainer vs the Pico and an external brick. Also, huge assortment of cable ends: SATA, IDE, Molex, etc. a serious shortcoming of the Pico.

My 2 cents.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:34 pm

jrryfwlr wrote:It's good to hear the Pico would work. What do you mean by tinkering? You can just plug it in like an ordinary PSU, right?
The barrel connector that comes with the Pico is not ideal. It will work, especially if it's a very low powered system like the one you will use, but I would still recommend replacing the barrel connector with something beefier. I use a mate-n-lock 15A connector.

A normal ATX PSU is easy to use, but the efficiency is not that great (compared to the Pico) and it's not fanless.

I don't wanna scare you away from the Pico, but if you should run into problems like a low +12V rail it helps if you can use stuff like a soldering iron and a multimeter.
I love the PicoPSU, both my main system and my file server are powered by Picos, but they are perhaps not for everyone. If you consider lack of cable ends a serious shortcoming you might find setting the whole thing up to be too much hassle.