parts for a quiet HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Freeco

parts for a quiet HTPC

Post by Freeco » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:18 am

Hi gang, for some time now I've been thinking of buying an HTPC. Now that I have a new HD flatscreen and would like to watch some BluRay movies I figger the time is right.
I'd use this PC only to watch movies & photos, listen to music and occasionaly surf the web. No gaming or other heavy duty stuff. All storage will be on my NAS in my garage, so no real interal storage is required.

On some parts I've already done some research and I'm pretty convinced that's the thing I need (green). On other parts I still need to dig deeper, or see alternatives (orange). Some parts I've just heard good things about, but haven't read any reviews yet (red).

This is what I've come up with so far:
* Case: Silverstone Grandia GD04
Has some advantages over my original choice (Antec): stealthed ODD, so activity led is hidden; free choice of PSU; case is less deep and bit higher. Disadvantage is the limited heigth of HSF when mounting an ODD: <70mm
Original choice was: Antec NSK 2480 Not expensive, comes with a decent 80+ 380W PSU, looks good (simple).
* PSU: Nexus Value 430
Only if I stick to the Silverstone case. This PSU is modular and should be very quiet. 430W is more than needed for this setup.
* Motherboard: MSI H55M-E33
Seems enough for what I need: 4 memory slots, HDMI out (with right CPU), onboard LAN/audio, 3x PCIe & 1 PCI. It's also the cheapest I can get.
* CPU: Intel i3 530
A 2.93GHz dualcore with hyperthreading seems more then enough for what I intend to do with it.
* GPU: don't think I need a discrete card, as the CPU should have a relative powerful IGP. If it doesn't work out I can still add an ATi HD54xx/55xx card afterwards.
* RAM: 2x Kingston 1GB 1333MHz DDR3 CL9
2GB should be enough for Windows 7 while running some video tools.
* CPU cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken
This is about the only HSF that fits the Silverstone GD04 when mounting an ODD: <70mm. Cooling/noise should be OK.
* Bootdisk: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB SSD
Faster than all other value SSD's I found. 50% more expensive compared to Intel X25-V, but it has also 50% more space.
Original choice was: Intel X25-V 40GB SSD 40GB is enough for HTPC as everything will be stored on a NAS. Read speed is fast, write speed mediocre
* BluRay reader: Lite-On IHOS104
I lack some user feedback on silent Blu-Ray readers. I prefer read quality & silence over speed. A simple black front is a plus. It doesn't even have to be able to write DVD's.
* Keyboard/mouse: Enermax Aurora micro wireless
I've read good things about this device. But it's getting used to the integrated trackball, and it's not that cheap. So maybe there are better alternatives.

If I'd pick the Antec NSK 2480 as a case probably I'll replace the 2 Antec exhaust fans that come with it by 1 or 2 Nexus 120mm fans.
I'll also need 1 or 2 fan controllers to get fan speed down. Probably I'll buy the ones I have in my desktop: 2x Zalman Fan Mate 2.

All in all this should cost me €600 - €650. About 3x more than a quality Bluray reader, but for that premium I get much more flexibility.

Any things I overlook? Parts I mentioned that I should change? Any other remarks? Anything is welcome :)

edit: changed my mind on some of the parts
Last edited by Freeco on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:29 am

I would not use the PSU (it won't be very silent with a 8cm fan) and i would get rid of the original fans ASAP (Antec fans are not quiet) as you wrote, maybe not with Nexus fans but with Enermax T.B.Silence (i will get them next week). Get a good silent modular PSU and some good fans.

Motherboard - H55M-E33 - read the reviews, if it offers undervolting possibility.
CPU cooler - Big Shuriken - why not Ninja Mini or AXP-140 ?
SSD - X25-V 40GB, how much will you write on it ? If not much, then it's ok.
Fan controllers - you need just one, put both outtake fans via Y cable to one Fanmate.
Case - any reason for this case instead of Fusion Remote ? I hope you know you can turn on/off the computer via remote in case of Fusion Remote.

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:12 am

The Fusion Remote is more expensive then the 2480 while it doesn't include a PSU. Throw in a PSU and I'd pay double for that case.
I don't need the remote (will use a wireless keyboard/mouse) and the front screen is overkill imho.
According to Mike/Devon the PSU in the 2480 is pretty decent and quiet (24dba), as it's in a seperate chamber with it's own intake. Read this review for details on the case, and this one in particular for the included PSU.

You do have a point for the Y cable on the fan controller. That's noted.

I have (negative) experience with the Antec TriCool fans (1 came with my Solo case), so I'll probably replace them as I said. I now have Nexus fans in my desktop, which are the reference on this site, and I'm pretty happy about them as well. So probably I'll stick to them to use in the HTPC.

The SSD won't be used to store data, so write speeds aren't that important. Once the OS and apps are installed the drive will mostly have to read, and write some cache/temp.

The CPU cooler is still open for debate. I'll look into the 2 you mention.

For the moment I'm Googling for silent Bluray drives, but can't find much about the noise they make.
Most likely I'll buy 1 of these 4: Lite-On IHOS104, Asus BR-04B2T, LG CH08LS10, Samsung SH-B083L (prices between €55 - €75). Any user experiences are very much appreciated.

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:25 am

Freeco wrote:For the moment I'm Googling for silent Bluray drives, but can't find much about the noise they make.
Most likely I'll buy 1 of these 4: Lite-On IHOS104, Asus BR-04B2T, LG CH08LS10, Samsung SH-B083L (prices between €55 - €75). Any user experiences are very much appreciated.
I've always had good experiences with Pioneer DVD drives, with LG and LiteOn being the nosiest. Possibly the same for blu-ray.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Alternatively, if you want to stick with the Big Shuriken and will not be using additional HDDs, consider the Silverstone GD-04 or GD-05 case as an alternative. With that case, you get to choose your own preferred quiet power supply. The stock fans may also be quiet enough for a HTPC, particularly if you undervolt them a bit.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with my NSK2480. I swapped the included PSU for a Corsair VX450, which is still the noisiest thing in my system. I could do a fan swap but I don't notice the noise from the couch when the PC is on but no movie is playing.

The Scythe Ninja Mini is a great CPU cooler for the NSK2480, but apparently it has stopped being produced. An alternative might be the Coolermaster Hyper 101, which is about the same height.

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks for the reminder on the Silverstone GD04 Jamie. I've read that review once but forgot about this case.
If I choose this case it would be around €40 more expensive compared to the Antec case as I'd have to buy a seperate PSU (probably a Nexus Value 430 (=modular))
But the GD04 might have 1 important advantage: stealthed bluray drive. There's 1 thing my wife (yep her, less for me, but still) annoys more than fan noise and that's the blinking of a LED while watching TV.
The GD04 does have a power LED. Does anyone know what color it is, and if it blinks or is steady? Blue is modern, but it's a bit distracting if it's relative close to the screen. Even more when blinking.

One downside is that the bluray drive is close to the CPU heatsink. But as the NSK 2480 case is lower I could have the same restrictions there.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Freeco wrote:But the GD04 might have 1 important advantage: stealthed bluray drive. There's 1 thing my wife (yep her, less for me, but still) annoys more than fan noise and that's the blinking of a LED while watching TV.
The GD04 does have a power LED. Does anyone know what color it is, and if it blinks or is steady? Blue is modern, but it's a bit distracting if it's relative close to the screen. Even more when blinking.
You can just choose not to connect the power LED front panel connector - unless the connector is integrated with the power and reset leads. If they are separate wires, just leave the power and hdd activity wires unplugged.

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:04 am

As a last resort, indeed that could be done.
But before buying this case I'd still like to know what color the LED is, and if it's blinking or not ;-)

sub

Post by sub » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:51 am

lol jacky spotted ! ps it's very easy to change a led

For the ssd, the c300 64go is a better option, only 128€ at ldlc and a lot faster!

The nexus value 430 has some unit repported here with the fan clicking

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:34 am

Somebody told me all Lite-on drives have a feature called Smart-X: the drive slows down its speed depending on the needs of the application. So for reading DVD/BR video it should spin relatively slow and quiet.
So this might shift my preference to the Lite-On IHOS104. That's even the cheapest drive I can find (~€55), so that's an extra plus :D
sub wrote:lol jacky spotted ! ps it's very easy to change a led
For the ssd, the c300 64go is a better option, only 128€ at ldlc and a lot faster!
The nexus value 430 has some unit repported here with the fan clicking
@sub: I'm not Jacky, or did I misunderstand?
I will check out that C300 drive. They're a bit more expensive then the Intel 40GB, but you get more space, and faster speeds. I'll try and read some reviews. Never bought at LDLC, but there's a first for everything.

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:17 am

Comparing SSD's is tough :)
I've read some reviews on the Crucial C300 64GB drive: it exceeds my current Intel X25-M 80GB in most read tests, and is on par with a lot of write test.
As the X25-V 40GB model performs less compared to the 80GB (half the NAND chips onboard), the difference with the C300 would be 'huge' especially on write speeds. The C300's write speed is pretty ok compared to other SSD's around that size.

But there's also a price premium to consider: I can get the X25-V for around €95, while the C300 is about €135 (shipping included). I do get 50% more space for the price, but I don't actually need that.

Other drives:
The Kingston V 64GB, OCZ Onyx 32GB & Solid 2 60GB are real value SSD's. They perform like the X25-V does.
The OCZ Agility 2 60GB is also a good performer, but it's a bit more expensive than the C300.

So all being considered, it'll depend how much I want to spend on the drive. It'll be either the X25-V 40GB or the C300 64GB.
Unless anyone else points me to a model I overlooked within the €150 price limit?

edit:
I found out the max height of the CPU cooler for the Antec & Silverstone (with ODD mounted) cases: max 70mm. So most other coolers that were proposed here are simply to high to fit. Even the Ninja mini would be a couple of mm's to high.
Seems there's not much silent competition for the Big Shuriken.

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:02 am

This afternoon I realised there's 1 'major' flaw in the parts I've come up with so far. Well, 'major': not for me, but for my wife...
I'm not that sure if I can get a hold of that Enermax wireless keyboard/trackball with an azerty key layout. Qwerty is a bit ackward for me, but I can manage, but my wife will say she doesn't like it one bit.
I will have to ask some shops if it exists in azerty, and if they can get it from their distributor.

As a backup for the Enermax I've also found on a forum that KeySonic has some pretty decent wireless keyboards.
http://www.maxpoint.de/en/products/keyb ... ?pid=1_3_6
They look like a keyboard on a laptop, with large integrated touchpad. I still have to look for some reviews though.

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:01 am

I have about enough of reading wireless keyboard reviews of various models over and over again, and always hearing every time I've found a pretty good one that it's not available with an azerty layout :evil:

If I don't get some positive feedback from some manufacturers I've sent mails to, I will be going for the Logitech DiNovo Edge. It's expensive (€129), but at least it's azerty, well built, has a stable wireless connection, has an integrated touchpad and configurable F-keys. Quality has its price I guess...
I would have prefered an RF connection instead of bluetooth, and regular AA or AAA batteries instead of an integrated (probably not exchangeable) Li-Ion battery, but it seems there's no other good alternative.

pete6032

Post by pete6032 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:48 am

The DiNovo edge is a nice keyboard. I have one and it was the most expensive component in my HTPC setup (aside from TV/speakers obviously). Here in the States, you can get the Mac edition for about $30 less than the PC edition. The keyboard is basically the same. You might want to see if you can get a Mac version for cheaper.

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:32 am

Nope, don't think so. On the Belgian Logitech site there's only a the regular diNovo keyboard for Mac, without a touchpad. So if I could get my hands an a diNovo Edge for Mac, it would probably be a regular qwerty.
Thanks for the tip though :)

By the way, I've just ordered the Crucial C300 64GB from the Crucial webshop: a lot cheaper than any local or even webshop I have come across, and free shipping!
€20 saved on this item, to be invested on the diNovo :wink: