UK SD TV connectivity from VGA

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vonbosch

UK SD TV connectivity from VGA

Post by vonbosch » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:24 am

I have been asked by a friend to sort him out with an uber-cheap HTPC to drive his SD telly. I am okay with the computer stuff (obviously, that is why he asked me), but I am not sure on all this old analogue TV connectivity.

My question is this, for a UK PAL SD TV (acronymtastic!) how can I input a VGA signal from a computer? I can't remember exactly which inputs he has, but lets assume at least two of composite, component and S-Video. VGA to S-Video, component or composite cables seem to be available, but the negative reviews of passive converters on amazon.co.uk seem to hint at some variable that a lot of people don't seem to be getting, possibly the display resolution?

I would really appreciate it if someone who knows about this stuff could offer some advice, recommendations based on working set-ups and (probably most importantly) warning of pitfalls where a systems seems like it should work based on physical connectivity but actually won't due to electrical incompatibility (say wrong resolution).

Any advice would be great, I don't want to waste my mate's limited resources by buying useless cables, converters or graphics cards.

TIA!

Matt

Big Pimp Daddy

Re: UK SD TV connectivity from VGA

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:43 am

This is indeed a potential nightmare. Whereas new hardware is a (normally) simple HDMI to HDMI, with older stuff it gets tricky. The single most important factor is which inputs you have on the TV. If you can't remember you will need to find out, if you don't have access to the TV, get your friend to take a photo of the inputs and email it to you.
Converting a VGA signal to S-video composite or Co-axial is generally a nightmare. If this is your only option, find your nearest Maplin and try the various gadgets they have to convert the signal, taking them back if they don't work and trying the next one.
A far simpler solution is to match the outputs on the HTPC to the inputs on the TV, an old VIA EPIA board with native S-video and composite outputs can be had for 50 quid on ebay and does the job nicely. Motherboards based on the 690G chipset like the Asus M2A-VM HDMI often have enough outputs to work on SD TVs and future potential HD upgrades. Or a VGA card from a couple of years ago will most likely have composite or s-video outputs (though this path is a bit trickier as cards from ~5 years ago seem to have more issues with this than more recent ones).

I wish I could give you a foolproof just-buy-this guarantee, but with older TVs it is a lot about trial and error. I have had many HTPCs hooked up to many TVs for myself and friends, and the only solution that just worked every time was the EPIA board that I've been using for the past 6 years (except on TVs with only co-axial inputs - they are a true nightmare).

vonbosch

Re: UK SD TV connectivity from VGA

Post by vonbosch » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:57 am

Yeah, I am aware the inputs on the telly are the key variable. My friend is on holiday but when he gets back I will check out his TV again and post back.

These VIA boards look interesting, thanks for the tip. New territory for me but I will certainly bear it in mind.

More next week...