Silent advice - Gaming Rig

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Xuestor

Silent advice - Gaming Rig

Post by Xuestor » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:33 am

Hey

Im planning on getting a gaming rig, and ofcourse want it as silent as possible... :)

Fractal Design Define R2, Titanium
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz PC3-12800
Intel Core i5 655K 3.2GHz
80GB 2.5" SSD Intel X25-M G2 SATA
Gigabyte Radeon HD6850 1GB
OR:
Gigabyte Radeon HD68701GB
Samsung TFT 24" P2450H Rose Black

Cooling:
Scythe Ninja 3
Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm

What im least confident about is the psu and choice of gfx. Whats your thoughts on this build?

/Xuestor

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: Silent advice - Gaming Rig

Post by frenchie » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm not sure about that OCZ PSU... Pick one from the recommended list on SPCR and you'll be much better off !

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:28 pm

I would ditch the SSD buy Samsung HD F4,F3 1TB, SSD is small and over rated. HD6870 if you can afford it and scrap the Noctual fans go for Sycthe S-flex 1200rpm instead. Exchange the Ninja 3 for Thermalright HR-02. Power supply get something by Seasonic the X650 Gold.

mdchaser

Post by mdchaser » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:12 pm

I would go with either 4 or 8GB ram. The system you are looking at runs in dual channel mode if you use 2 or 4 dimms, 3 is not the optimal amount! I respectfully disagree with the SSD recommendation, having used many I would definitely use an SSD as a boot drive, best upgrade you can do. Good luck!

cordis

Post by cordis » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:04 pm

Yeah, I love my SSDs, they're great. An 80GB is a good boot drive, but you may want something bigger for data storage. Do rethink that PSU, plenty of stuff on the recommended list. The memory is a good catch, a p55 will be a dual channel board. As far as the cpu heat sink goes, you may just want to go with a scythe mugen 2, that comes with a pretty good fan so you can save some money on that. For gpus, I'm more of an nvidia guy, not much help with the AMD gpus.

Xuestor

Post by Xuestor » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:19 am

The ssd stays, I have a HTPC for storage anyways....
I have no complaints about my noctuafans, and prefer them over scythe.

The only worry I have for the ninja is if it will fit in the R2 case? I've heard that it's a close fit, but im not sure... Have anybody tried this?

The psu I know nothing about... and my prefered store doesnt have any of the recommended psus available

(EDIT: They have the Corsair TX650w, but its not modular...maybe its worth it anyway?)...

I considered the Fractal Design Newton R2 650W, cos it's modular aswell, which always is nice, but its double the price compared to the OCZ....

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:12 am

According to me, it's not a quite good pick.
If you can't afford any proven design, a couple of maybe noteworthy alternatives might be:

It's a triple channel kit for Nehalem Core i7s, it's not intended for using on Clarkadales or Lynnfields based LGA1156 platforms.
You have to choose a 2-channel kit (4GB or 8GB).

The 120GB one has a more favourable price for GB of about 25%.

It cannot be said quiet, until you pair it with those:
https://www.inet.se/artikel/5321750/arc ... treme-plus
https://www.inet.se/artikel/5321751/arc ... late-vr001

According to me, it's not a good choice, either for quietness or pricing.

If you want to stick with Scythe, go either for the Mugen or the Yasya.

If you want to spare some bucks and still go far better, go for this Cooler Master and I mean that you won't regret.
ninja3_spcr.jpg

There's no need for any Noctua fan with all these alternatives, IMO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xuestor

Post by Xuestor » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:35 am

I hear you on the cpucooler... Although I'd like some confirmation that it will fit inside the R2 case...

Will probably change the gpucooler eventually, but not right away, a bit too strapped for cash for that.
I decided to go for the TX 650 psu, but still a little worried about the clearance with the cpucooler..

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:10 am

Xuestor wrote:Although I'd like some confirmation that it will fit inside the R2 case

The R2 is about 21cm wide, it would accept about anything you will throw in: SPCR tested it with a 157x126mm Zerotherm Nirvana.
Xuestor wrote:I decided to go for the TX 650 psu, but still a little worried about the clearance with the cpucooler..

IMO it's not a smart move: Corsair has silently changed their OEM from Seasonic to CWT this year, and the new TX650 are louder than the acclaimed ones.

If you'll be lucky and get an old stock one, you will get a decent (for quietness) PSU, otherwise it would be a leap in the dark.