My new sysytem... any comments?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Yunno

My new sysytem... any comments?

Post by Yunno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:29 am

Hi guys,

It's finally time to upgrade my AMD Athlon XP 2600+ system!!! :mrgreen:

I've spent the last few weeks researching and have found HEAPS of great advice on SPCR and am looking for some input regarding my choices.

I am looking at building as quiet a system as possible while keeping the temps sufficiently low.
I will be using it to make music on (FL Studio, Ableton, Pro tools), internet, watching movies, and a little bit of gaming.
I'm not interested in OCing and would like it to last me a few years. Money isn't a great concern. I just want quality parts.
Here are the parts I have come up with:

CASE: Antec P183
PSU: Antec CP-850
CPU: Intel i7 950
CPU COOLER: Scythe Mugen-2 Rev.b with 2 Nexus Real silent PWM fans in a push pull config. using a Gelid Y splitter cable.
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2
GPU: Gigabyte 1G Radeon 5770 silent cell
RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum 3x2GB OCZ3P1333LV6GK
HDD: OCZ 3.5" 120G Vertex 2-E for OS programs and samples
+ Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB ST32000641AS (possibly in a GUP Japan Smart Drive Neo Enclosure) for data.
OPTICAL: Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-Ray Drive
FANS: Included Antec Tricool case fans on low or 120mm Nexus Real Silents or Scythe 120mm 800rpm SlipStreams ?
+ 2 x Scythe 120mm SlipStream 500rpm Fans in the 2 front fan brackets.
SOUND: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (PCI) from current computer

My first concern is whether these will all fit in the P183 (Mugen-2 and GPU).
I'm also wondering whether the fan configuration is over the top or maybe a good idea considering I'm using a passively cooled GPU...
I've read that the P183 has a clip that lets you mount a fan in the middle of the case... does anyone know where that would be exactly? right next to the GPU?
I live in a bungalow which gets quite hot in summer (possibly up to 35C) so need some decent airflow.

Any comments/recommendations would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers :D
Last edited by Yunno on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garak

Re: My new sysytem... any comments?

Post by Garak » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:44 pm

http://www.overclockersonline.net/reviews/50002781/
http://www.overclockersonline.net/image ... e/an35.jpg
This picture, taken from the above review, shows where the fan you mentioned would go. It also shows a Biostar GeForce 9600 GT, which, according to my research is the same as the reference design at 22.8 cm in length. A reference 5770 is 22cm, however the Silent Cell is probably longer, unfortunately I have not been able to find out how long, but it seems likely to me that you would have to remove the upper removable hard drive cage to fit that in.

I have also read an anecdote on a forum that a Thermalright Venomous X will fit in an Antec P183, which is 160mm in height, which is taller than a Scythe Mugen 2 at 158mm. So if the Thermalright can in fact fit, then so should the Scythe Mugen 2.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Yunno wrote:CPU: Intel i7 950
I'm a fan of Nehalem, but are you sure that a cooler Sandy Bridge or Lynnfield won't be enough?
Yunno wrote:GPU: Gigabyte 1G Radeon 5770 silent cell

IMO it should be too darn hot for an about 35°C ambient. Again IMO a fanned MSI Hawk might perform almost equally flawless, with reference to noise.
Yunno wrote:HDD: OCZ 3.5" 120G Vertex 2-E for OS programs and samples

It is currently one of the more performing but also more troublesome consumer SDD: a 120GB Intel or a 128GB Crucial might be a smarter choice.
Yunno wrote: + Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB ST32000641AS (possibly in a GUP Japan Smart Drive Neo Enclosure) for data.

Well, a bit costly: I don't know if there's any specific reason to choose it, but a 1,5TB WD Green could be enough performing, substantially quieter and a lot cheaper than the 2TB XT.
Yunno wrote:FANS: Included Antec Tricool case fans on low or 120mm Nexus Real Silents or Scythe 120mm 800rpm SlipStreams ?
+ 2 x Scythe 120mm SlipStream 500rpm Fans in the 2 front fan brackets.
First of all, avoid any TriCool fan for the sake of quietness.
Then, with a hot cpu like a Nehalem, a super hot VGA as a 100W passive, and a 35°C ambient I would get rid of any sub-1000rpm fan: so use a SS or S-Flex @ 1200rpm, or a 3pin Nexus, or a 1150 GT, and drive it with a software or an hardware controller.
Last but not least, with just 1 hard drive as a first try I would avoid also any intake fan (however, I would consider for the role even the Silverstone Air Penetrator series): but if those fans are aimed to cool the VGA, a fanned VGA (or a Nexus strapped on the Gigabyte) could turn out more effective and quieter, IMO.

Yunno

Post by Yunno » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks for the comments guys but I've already built it. I ended up with this:

CASE: Antec P183
PSU: Antec CP-850
CPU: Intel i7 950
CPU COOLER: Scythe Mugen-2 Rev.b with 2 Scythe Slipstream PWM fans in a push pull config. using a Gelid Y splitter cable.
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2
GPU: Gigabyte 1G Radeon 5750 silent cell (thought the 5770 wasn't that necessary and maybe a bit big)
RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum 3x2GB OCZ3P1333LV6GK
HDD: OCZ 3.5" 120G Vertex 2-E and Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB ST32000641AS
OPTICAL: Lite-On iHBS212 12x Blu-Ray Disc Writer
FANS: 120mm Nexus Real Silents bottom front, middle (facing GPU) and exhaust
SOUND: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (PCI) from current computer
quest_for_silence wrote:Yunno wrote:
HDD: OCZ 3.5" 120G Vertex 2-E for OS programs and samples

It is currently one of the more performing but also more troublesome consumer SDD: a 120GB Intel or a 128GB Crucial might be a smarter choice.
troublesome> how so?
quest_for_silence wrote:Last but not least, with just 1 hard drive as a first try I would avoid also any intake fan (however, I would consider for the role even the Silverstone Air Penetrator series): but if those fans are aimed to cool the VGA, a fanned VGA (or a Nexus strapped on the Gigabyte) could turn out more effective and quieter, IMO.
why no intake fan? too noisy? unnecessary? something to do with positive/negative pressure?

I've put the put the 2 hard drives vertically in the bottom HD tray and a real silent in the centre of the case blowing straight onto the 5750 which I think is doing a good job.
I am however having a little trouble with CPU temps... it's a bit of a worry... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=60988

Cheers guys :D

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:28 am

Yunno wrote:Thanks for the comments guys but I've already built it.

I'm sorry, I didn't notice the date of the original post, but just the late reply.
Yunno wrote:troublesome> how so?

SandForce 12XX based drives seems to have substantially higher failure rate than Intel (more than 4 times) and Crucial (more than 2 times) ones. The 60GB and 120GB models seems among the more prone of them.
Yunno wrote:why no intake fan? too noisy? unnecessary?

Generally speaking, both: more probably that not unnecessary, and surely a bit noisy (a single intake fan add about 4dB to the P183 noise baseline).
Yunno wrote:I am however having a little trouble with CPU temps... it's a bit of a worry... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=60988

Weird problem, at first sight: I don't know your Indigo, but if you can do it, I'd suggest to substitute the Indigo with a standard (or so about) TIM to see if there's any difference.