Very high temps... please help!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Yunno

Very high temps... please help!

Post by Yunno » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi guys,

I just put together a system with the following parts and am getting what seem like very cpu temps...

Antec p183, Antec CP-850, Intel i7 950, Scythe Mugen 2 rev.b with 2 scythe PWM fans in a push pull config
1 nexus real silent as exhaust, 1 nexus real silent bottom front and another nexus real silent in the middle of the case facing a gigabyte 5750 silent cell. I'm probably going to replace the exhaust fan with the second PWM CPU fan as at the moment, these 2 fans are about an inch apart.

I used indigo extreme ETI as a thermal compound and am thinking maybe this didn't take hold... When I finally got around to doing the burn in, I didn't get the temp drop at all (it was standing vertically for a while before I did it). Any opinions on Indigo Extreme? Should I just go a thermal compound?

I'm running the front and exhaust fans off a Scythe Kaze server and the third nexus off one of the fan headers as 2 of the controller channels seem to have dropped out. I can't seem to change the speed of this through easytune... does having CPU Smart fan mode set to PWM in the BIOS (which I have) lock the other Mobo fans or just the CPU fan?

With only torrents downloading, outside temp about 15C - 20C,

Easytune 6 is telling me the CPU is at 70C
Speedfan is telling me my cores are averaging around the low to mid 80s and
CoreTemp is telling me about the same as speedfan

when the weather's hotter, these have gone up to the mid 90s

GPU is at about 40C

In speedfan, I'm also getting 70C and 42C for temps 1,2 (not sure which is what)

Why would these be giving different temps? they all run off the same sensors yeah?

I would have thought with a giant heatsink and all those fans, this would be more than enough to keep the temps down but obviously not... could the temp sensors be faulty? If the indigo extreme didn't burn in right would that cause temps like this?

This is the first system I've built in about 6 years so am a little out of touch...

Any advice would be much appreciated... I'm a little worried :?

danimal

Re: Very high temps... please help!

Post by danimal » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:19 pm

i ran an almost identical setup, including the indigo extreme.

when you first fired it up, no cooler fans on, the cpu temp should have pegged at 100 degrees, which is the thermal limit set by the cpu, you should have seen that on your temp monitoring software... it stays at 100 degrees until the compound flows, so if it's not at 100 degrees, the compound has liquified to some extent... until it flows, you are essentially running the cpu with no cooler.

turn speedfan off, and leave it off, until this is sorted out, and run realtemp, because it can be calibrated... your cpu idle temps should be well under 40C.

leave the side off of the case, while testing, so that you aren't influenced and confused by the case fans.

concentrate on the cpu fan; it should be pwm controlled by the mb, but if nothing else, plug it into a three-pin motherboard fan controller, set at 100%, and report back what the cpu temps are.

Yunno

Post by Yunno » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks for the super speedy response :D

When I tried the burn in, I didn't turn the fans off as even with the fans, the temps were hitting 90-100. Will try with fans off and let you know how it goes. How identical is your rig? How's the silence/temps?

Cheers.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Temperature that high would seem to indicate something is wrong with the contact area -- I'd remount it. Check to see if either the CPU or the base plate are flat or not?

After cleaning both surfaces, apply just a bit of thermal paste the size of a grain of rice and don't spread it. Set the heatsink on it and secure it well -- the Mugen has a bolt through, right?

Yunno

Post by Yunno » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:27 am

Well, after taking everything apart and checking the Indigo Extreme, I saw that it hadn't melted at all, so I disconnected all the fans, did the reflow process again and the temps finally dipped like they did in the instruction video. It just took a lot longer for them to dip than in the video. Now I'm getting idle temps of:

31C for CPU and 33C for GPU in easytune 6 and
high 30s to mid 40s for CPU and 41C for GPU in realtemp...

why the differing temps between programs? I can understand that CPU temp in Easytune is a single temp rather than separate core temps so might differ a bit but the GPU temps should be coming off the same sensor right? What's the go?

Anyway, I'm happy now. I took out the bottom front and exhaust Nexuses and put the 2nd PWM fan that was on the Mugen 2 as exhaust. It's running super quiet now and the temps are much more acceptable :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help guys.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:22 am

Yunno wrote:why the differing temps between programs?

More probably that not they deal with different temp sensors: I think you might use Open Hardware Monitor (or any software tool with similar capabilities) to identify those different sensors in order to decide which one to trust (more).