BIOS SPD doesn't detect the memory timings expected

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LazyBoy

BIOS SPD doesn't detect the memory timings expected

Post by LazyBoy » Sun May 01, 2011 11:16 am

(I moved this from the CPU/mobo forum.)

I bought some low voltage G.SKILL ECO RAM. It's supposed to be 8-8-8-24.

My mobo, an intel DQ67OW, detects 9-9-9-24. The BIOS will let me change the RAM voltage but not the timings. The RAM and mobo are NOT on each others qualified lists.

Memtest passed at 1.35v. I have no specific need for 8-, I got it because it was only $3 more than the 9-. I'm thinking about keeping it instead of waiting for an RMA.

1) Did I not get out of spec RAM? Or is this a qualified vendor issue?
2) Is this a real world difference?
3) Is it defective enough to avoid newegg's restock fee?
4) If I keep it and add two more sticks in the future, what CAS should I buy?

Thanks!
LB

mkk

Re: BIOS SPD doesn't detect the memory timings expected

Post by mkk » Sun May 01, 2011 12:19 pm

It's quite possible that the motherboard simply does not support lower timings at the current frequency, but "fortunately" the performance difference would not be noticeable outside benchmarks anyway. No actual part fault is likely to be involved.

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Sun May 01, 2011 12:38 pm

1) Did I not get out of spec RAM?
A: There is a mainboard and BIOS revision out there that will run this memory at 8-8-8-24.

Or is this a qualified vendor issue?
A: Yes this a qualified vendor issue.

2) Is this a real world difference?
A: Benchmark programs will be able to detect a speed difference but the "real world" won't.

3) Is it defective enough to avoid newegg's restock fee?
A: The memory is not defective. Some people will say 'If it runs reliably then keep it'. I'm staying out of this one.

4) If I keep it and add two more sticks in the future, what CAS should I buy?
A: It's generally recommended to buy identical memory modules. BUT if you don't get QVL memory then you may not be able to expand the memory. It is common that when the electrical load on the memory buss increases the slower timings will be used and so don't be surprised if the BIOS decides to run the run the memory at 10-10-9-28 or .?.?.?.?.

Some people say Reliability is Job 1.

Have fun.....

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun May 01, 2011 3:39 pm

LazyBoy wrote:bought some low voltage G.SKILL ECO RAM. It's supposed to be 8-8-8-24.

My mobo, an intel DQ67OW, detects 9-9-9-24. The BIOS will let me change the RAM voltage but not the timings. The RAM and mobo are NOT on each others qualified lists.

Memtest passed at 1.35v. I have no specific need for 8-, I got it because it was only $3 more than the 9-. I'm thinking about keeping it instead of waiting for an RMA.
Actually, buying memory spec'ed at 8-8-8-24 and running it at 9-9-9-24 is an excellent idea, regardless of what your motherboard supports. I agree that Reliability is Job 1.

I recently purchased some Corsair 1866 memory, which I run at 1600 9-9-9-24.

I also purchased a MSI Cyclone 6850 Factory OC video card, and then dialed it back to the reference speeds. The more robust parts (or tested better on the bench) is worth it to me, without pushing it to its limits.

LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy » Mon May 02, 2011 4:49 am

(Deleted, see next post.)
Last edited by LazyBoy on Mon May 02, 2011 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy » Mon May 02, 2011 5:09 am

It seems that SPD numbers are not what I thought.

In a G.SKILL forum post about a different DDR3 stick showing the "wrong" SPDs, a tech replies:
SPD timings are always more relax. You will want to enable XMP for the 7-7-7-21.
And in a review of another different G.SKILL DDR3 stick:
GSkill send us their 4GB Kit, which is rated at 1600MHz and with 7-8-7-2T latencies or if you use the SPD settings you will get 8-8-8-1T.
So now I understand that the advertised timings are not what to expect in the SPD. I'd be upset if it were a real world difference or more than $3.

But I have a mobo that only does SPD. How was I supposed to get those numbers when shopping for RAM?

Thanks,
LB

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Mon May 02, 2011 6:55 am

For the best reliability now and for the many years you own this computer you should:

> only buy QVL memory
> never overclock
> never overvolt
> never undervolt
> always have some air flowing