tossed together a MATX build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zargon

tossed together a MATX build

Post by Zargon » Wed May 25, 2011 12:02 pm

CASE: Silverstone ML03b
PSU: XIGMATEK NRP-PC402 400W
CPU: Intel Pentium E5800
MOBOGIGABYTE GA-G41MT-USB3
RAM: Patriot G series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - downclocked to 1.5V(I had it laying around)
HDD: OCZ Vertex 30gb

so I impulse bought the ML03B a few weeks ago

I new seriously microATX was going to be a challenge to do right, and boy has it been :lol:

I learned that the SILVERSTONE SCOOL81 80mm Case Fan is not very quiet AT ALL. not only was one loud, but I wasthinking of trying 3 of 4 that will fit, but with the Scthye Big Shuriken there isnt even room in the case for more than 1-2 fans anyways, and they are then limited to near the front so they arent blowing across the mobo anyways.

to connect the 4pin on the mobo I have to remove the motherboard(wasnt paying attention) after I installed the CPU Heatsink

I was originally going to use a PSU that I got from electrodactus on here, but the cabling I have for it is tooooo short so I will figure out what I want to order for that then swap it in probably.

I am only using one ram dim because the stupid tall heatspreaders on the sector 5 wont fit under the big shuriken.

I do have 2x2gb of ddr3-1333 1.35v in another machine, thats only being used till I get its 2x4gb ripjaws back from RMA, so it might get those then.

its friggin cramped, I cant even manage right now to do 'pretty' cable management. the case has a black cable manager by the front ports and I actually removed it to make space(Ill try and get pics up later)

I can kinda hear the fan on the PSU and thats it. there is little space the rubber gasket that I buy from the local hardware store cant be used.

I am not sure it loud enough to bother me, but its noticable. way louder than the P180 under the desk with a earthwatts 380D and the 200mm on low(all I can hear is a very quiet whoosy whitenoise at best. with anything going on in my house its inaudible to me)

are the 4pin mobo plugs still called P4 plugs? the EPS extensions are all 8 > 4+4, can't seem to find a decent sleeved 4+4 > 4+4, I have one buts its bare and ugly...

the seasonic sfx PSUs are little too much $$ to replace just over the noise I think.......the xigmatek got a decent enough review on johnnyguru that I'm not afraid its going to murder the system

Jim G

Re: tossed together a MATX build

Post by Jim G » Wed May 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Zargon wrote:CASE: Silverstone ML03b
PSU: XIGMATEK NRP-PC402 400W
CPU: Intel Pentium E5800
MOBOGIGABYTE GA-G41MT-USB3
RAM: Patriot G series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - downclocked to 1.5V(I had it laying around)
HDD: OCZ Vertex 30gb

so I impulse bought the ML03B a few weeks ago

I new seriously microATX was going to be a challenge to do right, and boy has it been :lol:

I learned that the SILVERSTONE SCOOL81 80mm Case Fan is not very quiet AT ALL. not only was one loud, but I wasthinking of trying 3 of 4 that will fit, but with the Scthye Big Shuriken there isnt even room in the case for more than 1-2 fans anyways, and they are then limited to near the front so they arent blowing across the mobo anyways.

to connect the 4pin on the mobo I have to remove the motherboard(wasnt paying attention) after I installed the CPU Heatsink

I was originally going to use a PSU that I got from electrodactus on here, but the cabling I have for it is tooooo short so I will figure out what I want to order for that then swap it in probably.

I am only using one ram dim because the stupid tall heatspreaders on the sector 5 wont fit under the big shuriken.

I do have 2x2gb of ddr3-1333 1.35v in another machine, thats only being used till I get its 2x4gb ripjaws back from RMA, so it might get those then.

its friggin cramped, I cant even manage right now to do 'pretty' cable management. the case has a black cable manager by the front ports and I actually removed it to make space(Ill try and get pics up later)

I can kinda hear the fan on the PSU and thats it. there is little space the rubber gasket that I buy from the local hardware store cant be used.

I am not sure it loud enough to bother me, but its noticable. way louder than the P180 under the desk with a earthwatts 380D and the 200mm on low(all I can hear is a very quiet whoosy whitenoise at best. with anything going on in my house its inaudible to me)

are the 4pin mobo plugs still called P4 plugs? the EPS extensions are all 8 > 4+4, can't seem to find a decent sleeved 4+4 > 4+4, I have one buts its bare and ugly...

the seasonic sfx PSUs are little too much $$ to replace just over the noise I think.......the xigmatek got a decent enough review on johnnyguru that I'm not afraid its going to murder the system
I usually see them called 4-pin CPU or 4-pin ATX etc... e.g.: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=6979

Zargon

Post by Zargon » Wed May 25, 2011 5:25 pm

thanks I'll have a look around again for them!

Zargon

Post by Zargon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:43 am

got the new cables, need to sleeve them and try out the pico style PSU

as is its idling at 35w in win7pro