seasonic 400w fanless or x-series 650 in an p183?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
spaciousmind
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:43 pm

seasonic 400w fanless or x-series 650 in an p183?

Post by spaciousmind » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Hey all, trying to get together everything I need for a new quiet system using the sandybridge i5 2500k and with no GPU.

been looking at both antec p183 case and fractal but at the moment leaning more towards the antec......

Just wondering if its a good idea to go for the seasonic 400w fanless in either of these cases?
I dont think the load will be very much mainly just watching HD movies, browsing and some graphics/sound editing. . . . .

I have been advised against a fanless psu because they can get quite hot and so the case fans have to work harder to keep everything cool.... however i think this might not be a problem in the p183. What do you guys think?
Cheers!

Luke M
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:09 pm
Location: here

Re: seasonic 400w fanless or x-series 650 in an p183?

Post by Luke M » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:59 am

The X-650 is also fanless (at low loads), so not much difference.

Abula
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Location: Guatemala

Re: seasonic 400w fanless or x-series 650 in an p183?

Post by Abula » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:01 am

spaciousmind wrote:I have been advised against a fanless psu because they can get quite hot and so the case fans have to work harder to keep everything cool.... however i think this might not be a problem in the p183. What do you guys think?Cheers!
A fanless PSU like X400 has no fan, but it does need to have some airflow, in your case you will depend on the case fans to provide enough airflow to allow the X400 to cool itself. SPCR has it on its Recommend list and reviewed very well, also JonnyGuru among other websites stress this PSU a lot, and still hold fine. But if you have reliable source that it might not work with your case or if having a fan will give you peace of mind, then go with X560 which is has a fan that wont start unless its needed, check JonnyGuru Reviews - Seasonic X-560 560W
Performance (40% of the final score) - and now to do some scoring. Folks, this may be the best X series unit I've tested yet. Voltage readings so solid you couldn't budge them with a Peterbilt. Ripple results so low an ant couldn't trip over the waveforms. And to top it all off, you have that Gold level efficiency, a fan that turns off when not needed, and complete indifference to high temperatures. I have to do a 10 here

Summary
The X-560 represents yet another successfully designed product from Seasonic's X series line. It's efficient, it's extremely stable, and it's very quiet. If you're in the market for a semi-fanless unit around this size, the X-560 really deserves a good long look.
.

m0002a
Posts: 2831
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:12 am
Location: USA

Re: seasonic 400w fanless or x-series 650 in an p183?

Post by m0002a » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:00 pm

The latest version is the X-660, replacing the X-650.

lodestar
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:29 am
Location: UK

Re: seasonic 400w fanless or x-series 650 in an p183?

Post by lodestar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:07 pm

You ought to consider the Antec CP-850. Being cheaper in most localities than the Seasonics is a plus. It has been around a while but is still a decently quiet performer at lower power loads. See this page from the SPCR review of August 2009 http://www.silentpcreview.com/article971-page6.html.

Worker control
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:16 pm

Re: seasonic 400w fanless or x-series 650 in an p183?

Post by Worker control » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:40 pm

In a P183, either one would be fine, especially if you put a slow case fan in the middle of the bottom chamber.

The 400 will be slightly more efficient, and somewhat more expensive.

spaciousmind
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: seasonic 400w fanless or x-series 650 in an p183?

Post by spaciousmind » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Worker control wrote:In a P183, either one would be fine, especially if you put a slow case fan in the middle of the bottom chamber.

The 400 will be slightly more efficient, and somewhat more expensive.
how do you mean the 400w would be more expensive? running cost would be the same presumably,. . . its the same price where I am looking as the x-series 560w so I guess you mean in terms of how many watts you get for your dollar?

Actually just found a really good deal on a p183+seasonic 560w fanless bundle, it will end up being $80NZD cheaper than buying them both (with either psu) seperately, so thats pretty much sold me on the 560! thanks for all the input.

nzdcoy
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:44 am

Re: seasonic 400w fanless or x-series 650 in an p183?

Post by nzdcoy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:55 pm

spaciousmind wrote:Actually just found a really good deal on a p183+seasonic 560w fanless bundle, it will end up being $80NZD cheaper than buying them both (with either psu) seperately, so thats pretty much sold me on the 560! thanks for all the input.
at a store (rather than second hand)? linky plz? got friend looking for something along these lines :)

Worker control
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:16 pm

Re: seasonic 400w fanless or x-series 650 in an p183?

Post by Worker control » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:04 pm

spaciousmind wrote:
Worker control wrote:In a P183, either one would be fine, especially if you put a slow case fan in the middle of the bottom chamber.

The 400 will be slightly more efficient, and somewhat more expensive.
how do you mean the 400w would be more expensive? running cost would be the same presumably,. . . its the same price where I am looking as the x-series 560w so I guess you mean in terms of how many watts you get for your dollar?
I thought you were referring to the previous X-650 model (not KM) which was on sale for a while: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61896

Post Reply