Will the Antec NSK1380 Provide Enough Power For My Build?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hofo_mofo

Will the Antec NSK1380 Provide Enough Power For My Build?

Post by hofo_mofo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi all

First off, thanks to you all for your wealth of information found on this website. However regrettably I was unable to find a solution to my problem.

After building a computer for my mother using the Antec NSK1380, I was blown away by how quiet it is, especially considering today is a hot day and it is in a room with the evening sun.

But will the (proprietary) 350W PSU be enough to run this setup:

Processor: Intel i5-2405S (65W)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3
RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston Value Ram (PC3-10666)
Video Card: Onboard Intel 3000
Sound Card: Onboard
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L Blu-Ray
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
Extra: 6in 4 Pin to 8 Pin EPS Power Adapter with LP4
Extra: USB 2.0 5-Port PCI Express Card

Future expansions: Addition of an USB 3.0 card (PCI-e)

Items to be connected to the rear USB ports:
Motherboard (4): Keyboard (wireless), mouse (wireless), UPS (using it's own AC power), external HD (using it's own AC power)
Card: Printer (using it's own AC power), Windows Mobile Phone (charge and sync using the computer as a power source), iPod (charge and sync using the computer as a power source)

So yeah that is basically what my new computer will look like.

I really do like the NSK1380 as it is really quiet. IF I had to change the case I have thought about going with the NSK2480 - but I would replace the PSU as I want one with a 120mm fan. But wouldn't I lose the quietness as I now have side vents? I really enjoy the form factor of the NSK1380 and NSK2480, but if I had to go with another manufacturer I would like to make sure that all front panel ports (if any) (e.g. front audio, USB ports) are actually linked with the motherboard (or what not) and that they work.

I know I am asking for a lot, but I really do appreciate any and all help you guys can provide. :mrgreen:

Jim G

Re: Will the Antec NSK1380 Provide Enough Power For My Build

Post by Jim G » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:58 pm

In terms of power output 350w should be more than enough for that setup... I built my parents an i7 system with a discrete graphics card on a 380w PSU and the PSU isn't even audible on load, let alone near max in terms of output.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Way more than enough. You're probably only going to use maybe 100-120w, leaving enough room for even a high end video card (Although the size and heat from that would be terrible in the NSK1380). Heck even my build with the old Antec Aria will use more power than that, and that has an older psu still.

hofo_mofo

Post by hofo_mofo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Thank you both!

merlin I wasn't going to install a discrete graphics card; I no longer game (and haven't for a long time), and anything I can think of doing, the Intel HD 3000 can take care of it. [Side note: this machine I am building is replacing a machine I built back in 2002 :shock: ]

I am however bouncing back and forth now between the NSK1380 and the NSK2480 - both have their pros and cons, but I am going bonkers trying to make up my mind... :P Way back when I was first planning this build I was going to use the NSK2480, but right in front of me now, is the NSK1380 in all of its silence glory - heh, the ultra bright blue LED makes it really difficult to sleep with it on, I usually have to cover it up :lol: If I go with the NSK1380 I am locked in with that PSU, in that when it fails I will have to hunt one down from Antec. Whereas with the NSK2480 I can throw in whatever, but it is not small like the NSK1380 [the case that is]. Side note: The case I have at present is the Antec Performance One P160

I have thought about the Silverstone GD05, but regrettably the computer store I shop at, does not have it on their price list.

Imelon

Post by Imelon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:41 pm

Doesn't the NSK1380 power supply feature a rear 120m fan inside the power supply?

When I owned this case myself for a while it stayed remarkably cool. I ran an overclocked X2 6400+ (120w) and overclocked HD3850 with a WD Raptor and two other drives, optical drive, 4GB 800MHz ddr2 and a couple of extra fans.

Never had any stability or heat issues with the psu: I even modded it to run 'open frame' attached to the front of the case (inside ofcourse) at one point, so I could install a 120mm radiator. I still think it's one of the nicer really compact matx cases out there, your setup is going to be fine inside this case, even with some future upgrades... :)

hofo_mofo

Post by hofo_mofo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:21 am

Imelon wrote:Doesn't the NSK1380 power supply feature a rear 120m fan inside the power supply?

When I owned this case myself for a while it stayed remarkably cool. I ran an overclocked X2 6400+ (120w) and overclocked HD3850 with a WD Raptor and two other drives, optical drive, 4GB 800MHz ddr2 and a couple of extra fans.

Never had any stability or heat issues with the psu: I even modded it to run 'open frame' attached to the front of the case (inside ofcourse) at one point, so I could install a 120mm radiator. I still think it's one of the nicer really compact matx cases out there, your setup is going to be fine inside this case, even with some future upgrades... :)

Hopefully my first response shows up soon (with me bouncing back and forth between the NSK2480 and the NSK1380) - I really think the NSK1380 is the way better deal, and will stick to my guns and go with that case. Today is the day I want to make my parts order (to take advantage of a Father's Day sale the store is having)

hofo_mofo

Post by hofo_mofo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:34 am

merlin wrote:Way more than enough. You're probably only going to use maybe 100-120w, leaving enough room for even a high end video card (Although the size and heat from that would be terrible in the NSK1380). Heck even my build with the old Antec Aria will use more power than that, and that has an older psu still.

Oops sorry about that merlin, I misread your reply :)

You were just indicating that even with my setup I have enough power to even install a high end video card - i thought you meant I should/could install one lol my bad! :)

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:18 am

hofo_mofo wrote:
merlin wrote:Way more than enough. You're probably only going to use maybe 100-120w, leaving enough room for even a high end video card (Although the size and heat from that would be terrible in the NSK1380). Heck even my build with the old Antec Aria will use more power than that, and that has an older psu still.

Oops sorry about that merlin, I misread your reply :)

You were just indicating that even with my setup I have enough power to even install a high end video card - i thought you meant I should/could install one lol my bad! :)
Haha no problem. Also I think you can detach the power to the led, I think I did that on mine because I realized the led isn't on for my system now. Personally it all depends what you form factor you want.
Also the main big negative is the NSK1380 is a pita to work in. It's fine when it's done, but I hate working in it with cabling.

hofo_mofo

Post by hofo_mofo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 am

merlin wrote:Haha no problem. Also I think you can detach the power to the led, I think I did that on mine because I realized the led isn't on for my system now. Personally it all depends what you form factor you want.
Also the main big negative is the NSK1380 is a pita to work in. It's fine when it's done, but I hate working in it with cabling.
For the past few nights I have slept with the LED "uncovered" , and well it is fine now lol

Yeah I know about it being a PITA to work with. Did one for my parents, and well, surprisingly, only my blood and sweat was left in there lol

I have already placed an order for my parts, but am starting to think about adding something; a video card lol. I wonder if that is necessary...in that will that keep the heat down (as I won't be taxing the processor as hard). The types of cards I am looking at are the NVIDIA GeForce 400 series cards - specifically GT 430 or GT 440 - Galaxy seem to make "thin" PCI-e x16 2.0 graphics cards which tickle my fancy :P [actually the ASUS ENGT440/DI/1GD3 seems to be small too]

The reason for this new thought is that, in order for this computer to be an "upgrade" it has to trump my previous computer(s). This laptop I am using right now has an Intel i7-720QM processor with a discrete 1GB NVIDIA GT 230M graphics card. I am having a tough time trying to figure out if the Intel Graphics HD 3000 is a a step forward, backward, or lateral..any idea?