Antec Fusion/NSK2400 build Help

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zefiris

Antec Fusion/NSK2400 build Help

Post by zefiris » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:49 pm

I am trying to build a HTPC that can be used for gaming. It will also be hooked up to a 40-48 LCD/LED TV.

Pretty much I need some advice or recommended replacement of the things that I would want to toss into the case. Most of the choices here are based on the SPCR reviews.
So here we go:

Case: Fusion Remote/NSK2400 (looks sleek and has good air circulation)
CPU: Core i5-2500k or Core i5-2400 (energy efficient, less heat vs AMD)
CPU Heatsink: Scythe Ninja Mini Heatsink (its low profile for the case.... with or without fan, undecided )
Motherboard: ??????????????? (rule: it cannot block the side fans so no onboard heat sink north of the CPU)
RAM: ????????? 2x2/3x2/4x2/2x4/3x4/4x4 gig DDR3-1333
PSU: Seasonic X-650 (originally the X400 but thought a little more just to be sure being its a gaming unit plus it also runs fanless if no heat)
Case Fan: Scythe 120mm (SPCR approved)
Case Fan: Scythe 120mm (2ed cause I know heat will appear when gaming)
CD Player: Black Blu-Ray Burner SATA
Harddrive: WD VelociRaptor 300gb or Samsung Eco/WD Caviar/Hitachi Travelstar
Video Card: Asus EAH6850 DirectCU (I need a good graphics card for games and that can last and run cool)

USB 3 Replacement: Biostar CABLEUSB3.0 USB 3.0 Cable Bracket (case mod?)

Future Possible Upgrades (only 1 cause I dont want to restrict airflow to the Video card)
Audio Card ASUS Xonar Essence STX (if i decided to go hardcore on sound)
Wifi Card (if i decide to ditch my wires)

Also the USB 3 replacement mod for the front of the case can it be done? (only people who really seen the case will know)

Im hoping that the Asus video card can fit in the case or not (based on my measuring skills on the computer it seems it will fit)

I am also 100% clueless on what to pick for the motherboards and RAM.

Also any other suggestions/edits/changes that you can give will help a lot.

zefiris

Re: Antec Fusion/NSK2400 build Help

Post by zefiris » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:33 am

ah i forgot the microATX for the chipset hasent been reviewed much, I guess the best way is buy the case and wait a little. (just to save on the case cause its on sale)

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:38 am

zefiris wrote:Case: Fusion Remote/NSK2400 (looks sleek and has good air circulation)
PSU: Seasonic X-650 (originally the X400 but thought a little more just to be sure being its a gaming unit plus it also runs fanless if no heat)
I like a lot Antec cases, but the NSK2400 already comes with 380W PSU (i believe), so if you are repalacing it right away, might also consider cases that come without psu, like Silverstone Grandia series, there is a ton of cases to chose from, personally i like more the flat black looks over silver/black combo, but this is just a personal preference for my AV looks. On the PSU its good one, but i feel its much more than you need, i would only go fanless on a well ventilated case, but i would probably chose Seasonic X-560 SS-560KM, personally i prefer it to have a fan in case it needs it.
zefiris wrote:CPU: Core i5-2500k or Core i5-2400 (energy efficient, less heat vs AMD)
If you are not overclocking nor using the iGPU, then i would go with 2400 and save a little money.
zefiris wrote:CPU Heatsink: Scythe Ninja Mini Heatsink (its low profile for the case.... with or without fan, undecided )
My favorite low profile CPU cooler is Thermalright AX-140, but its 70mm height without a fan and depending on the mobo orientation might block PCI slots. Check the case n mobo you end up going with before purchasing the heatsink for clearance and orientation, and compatibility.
zefiris wrote:Motherboard: ??????????????? (rule: it cannot block the side fans so no onboard heat sink north of the CPU)
Since you are worried about energy efficiency, then go with an intel mobo they are rave about their efficiency, also since you dont want heatsinks on the mobo, usually intels come with them, on micro atx check DH67GDB3 or DH67BLB3. Another brand to check is MSI, they have good fan management and low consumption, the following dont have any heatsinks, MSI H67MA-E45 (B3)
zefiris wrote:RAM: ????????? 2x2/3x2/4x2/2x4/3x4/4x4 gig DDR3-1333
For movies 2gb should be enough, if you are gaming i would go with 4gb, but some games like BF3 starting to use a little over 4gb, or if your planning to do multiple things, i would probably go with 8gb (2x4gb), also memory is very cheap this days.
zefiris wrote:Case Fan: Scythe 120mm (SPCR approved)
Case Fan: Scythe 120mm (2ed cause I know heat will appear when gaming)
Upon deciding the mobo, check its fan management, see if it supports 4pin PWM fans, and if so i would go with Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 25mm PWM Mid Speed Fan - (SY1225SL12LM-P), it can run from 200rpm to 1300rpm, and if you mobo supports pwm fan control, it can ramp depending on the conditions of components and their temperatures.
zefiris wrote:Harddrive: WD VelociRaptor 300gb or Samsung Eco/WD Caviar/Hitachi Travelstar
Drop the velociraptor and get a SSD, Crucial 128 GB m4 is a great ssd for the money. For storage, i would go with Hitachi 5k3000.
zefiris wrote:Video Card: Asus EAH6850 DirectCU (I need a good graphics card for games and that can last and run cool)
In case you are considering other options, but check your case for clearance, PowerColor SCS3 AX6850, if the case doesnt have good airflow, attach a slipstream to the gpu. From Nvidia there is also a passive GTS450, SPARKLE GeForce GTS 450.

Image Image
zefiris wrote:USB 3 Replacement: Biostar CABLEUSB3.0 USB 3.0 Cable Bracket (case mod?)
If you want USB3 on frontal, i would probably chose a case with it already, i think some of the silverstone come with it.

zefiris

Post by zefiris » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:38 pm

I based the 3 choices on these reviews from our very own SPCR =)
Video Card
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Asus_AH68 ... U_VGA_Card
Case
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article591-page1.html
HeatSink
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article754-page1.html

Being SPCR had a hand in creating the case, i guess it has a good airflow.

Thanks!! Ill look into your suggestions. I am 100% clueless on this stuff.

I am mixed with the heatsink, being its not directly blowing at the chip I really dont know how it will fair. So im taking your suggestion and running with it... maybe the "Scythe Big Shuriken" will do better. Its the same as the Thermalright AX-140 but it has a grilled section near the chip which I think the case fans can help with the cooling.

But yea, the powersupply is in a seperate compartment, so maybe the 650 is overkill..... I was more looking into the energy efficency.

I do plan to underclock the Video card by .05watts (to remove the factory .05 overclock). Dunno if i am going to underclock the CPU or not

Znorkus

Post by Znorkus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:17 am

I think you can safely forget about that Powercolor card fitting in that case. Its the height.

In retrospect, for this reason I now wish I had bought a little larger case (with good airflow). Big silent bastards like that powercolor simply don't fit in ;-)