Need recomendation for OS on an Asus B202

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

srbliss

Need recomendation for OS on an Asus B202

Post by srbliss » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Just like the title says. I have an Asus B202 'desktop' PC. This is an Atom single core box that hangs on the back of a monitor. The original OS (some minimal linux system) has become useless for my needs. The only thing that matters for this box is web browsing and photo viewing. Over the last year as more as more and more flash animation has become widespread the old version 2.x of Firefox has become unusable so I need to change things a bit. This PC pretty much a 'kiosk PC' in my 2nd home that people of all tech skills use. I currently have the latest Ubantu installed and it works great for ME but my in-laws and other non tech people will have issues with this advanced OS. Is there something out there that would be great just serf the web and be able to view images??? I am playing with Android X86 but it does not seem fully ready for prime time

Jim G

Re: Need recomendation for OS on an Asus B202

Post by Jim G » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:34 am

What exactly is it about Ubuntu that they're having trouble with? As far as browsing the web goes and looking at photos there's not THAT much difference between Ubuntu and mostly anything else... You could try a slimmer version of Ubuntu like Xubuntu with a simpler interface?

srbliss

Re: Need recomendation for OS on an Asus B202

Post by srbliss » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Jim G wrote:What exactly is it about Ubuntu that they're having trouble with? As far as browsing the web goes and looking at photos there's not THAT much difference between Ubuntu and mostly anything else... You could try a slimmer version of Ubuntu like Xubuntu with a simpler interface?
Thanks, I don't have any issues with Ubuntu (I am running the realtime version on my CNC mill project :D ) Most of my 'users' are computer illiterate older folks that struggle with even basic web browsing. The original Linux mini distro was great for them but it has become pretty much worthless over the last year due (I think) the huge increase in flash on most web pages - yahoo email was taking several minutes to refresh the inbox on a 12Mb cable connection.
I will take a look at Xubuntu, I tried a few of the really tiny distros but non so far have really worked.