It's time for a new PC, and after a seriously convoluted internal debate, I've finally decided that this time round - building my own might be fun (and the best way to end up with a personalised, quality system).
As I sit here typing away on my old Dell Studio laptop with the fan running at 100% every time I so much as look at a Youtube video, I realise that I would give almost anything to be able to go back to working in a silent (or at least quiet) environment again. So having just discovered this excellent site - here I am, looking for some advice from the experts...
After much research (and even more dithering...) I've come up with the build listed below - and a few questions for you guys:
1. Is there any reason this build just won't work? (I'm really crossing my fingers on this one, because I stumbled in here late and have actually already ordered most of these components... )
2. Assuming it will - any tricks or tips I might need to know related to building in the Temjin case? (or just in general tbh, since my current experience level is, erm, zero...)
3. Is the 560w PSU going to do the job? (this one has had me biting my fingernails all afternoon, because although I read up all I could before ordering the 560w, checked the GPU specs and even plugged my system into a few wattage calculators, I don't really have the technical knowledge to be sure - and I keep seeing people buying 650 or 750w PSUs for similar systems... )
4. Will I be able to effectively control my fans/temps/noise using the Fan Expert 2 software which comes with the ASUS motherboard?
5. Is there anything obvious I have missed as far as creating a more efficient and silent system goes?
- Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E Micro ATX
PSU: Seasonic X Series - 560w
MOBO: ASUS Maximus V Gene z77
CPU: Intel i5 3570k (I'm thinking of moderately OC-ing it if I can do that without a significant increase in noise)
HSF: Noctua NH-L12 (I hoped blow-down would help cool the bits & bobs around the CPU too, and I wasn't sure a larger one would fit)
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7850 OC (I assumed a professional factory OC was a better option than doing it myself)
RAM: G-Skill 2x4GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
Case Fan: Scythe Slip Stream 120mm 1200rpm
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
HD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200rpm SATA III
Optical: ASUS DRW-24B3ST
OS: Windows 7 HP 64 Bit