Opinions on this mITX build with FD Node 304 -Edit: new case

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

Re: Opinions on this mITX build with FD Node 304 -Edit: new

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:22 am

Deer87 wrote:It's fanless.
I know. :mrgreen:

I own three of them (with the Seasonic badge) and I personally mount them indifferently with the "top" grill either facing down or facing up.

Broadly speaking, just think: what about those cases with side mounted PSU (like the Silverstone either Fortress or Raven, or even lots of Lian-Li)? Or with top mounted PSU but against solid panel (like the Antec Solo)? They cannot use those PSU? :wink:

I understand that you preferred to comply to manufacturer recommendation, nonetheless I think a bit differently. :)
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:35 am

I see your point :)
But this being my first build combined with me being of cautious nature, i preferred playing safe. One thing is certain, choosing the Super Flower 500 would have caused me more difficulty than I would have liked ;)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:11 am

Deer87 wrote:choosing the Super Flower 500 would have caused me more difficulty than I would have liked ;)

Probably (it would have been so): on the other hand SF cabling is different, so the mileage may vary. :wink:

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:27 am

I figured i would give an update now that i have had some time to try it out.

It still runs very smoothly, with my GPU and HDD as the major noise factors.

My WD 2TB green is making some mechanical noise when booting. While not a big problem, I have started to consider alternate suspension in order to negate the vibrations.

My old Asus GTX-660 DC2OCPH is running it's fans on full capacity when i play Rome TW2, so it is quite audible, but still acceptable for now.

The case fans are also audible when Im sitting in complete silence but only barely and the moment there is any background noise, it becomes unnoticeable.

I managed to sit and play Civilization 5 right next to my gf the other night while she was sewing, without the noise from the pc was in any way noticeable, so one of my primary goals have definetly been accomplished :D

Next step will be upgrading my gpu, at some point, but that is not a near-future-project.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:02 am

Thanks for the update, glad to see you're (all in all) satisfied by your build.

About the HDD, I didn't understand if it's a matter of vibrations, or it's strictly related to the booting process.

Whether the noise is just when it spin up at boot, personally I wouldn't bother too much, as it's likely unresolvable and mostly related to the really close distance you sit from it.

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:37 am

You are welcome :)
Yeah, im very satisfied with it :D

You are probably right with the HDD, it's the sound of it working when i start up the machine, so not general vibrations. It is somewhat louder than i would have expected, but since its mostly when booting it's not a problem.

mehimu

Post by mehimu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:47 pm

Dear Deer87, thanks for your posts, because for your post, a nice discussion is going on. and i got so many information from here. Also thanks to them, who joined this discussion.

khaakon

Post by khaakon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:51 am

mehimu wrote:Dear Deer87, thanks for your posts, because for your post, a nice discussion is going on. and i got so many information from here. Also thanks to them, who joined this discussion.
Nonsense, nonsense, and utter nonsense. Also with your other 'posts' which I wasted time on while catching up with new posts on the forum. Trying to get your post count up? No need, we don't run a competion here on those merits. Trying to market your 'blog' :cry: - I don't dare click on it, wary of malware agents - or just getting dumb reading it.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:42 am

regarding mehimu: He had a warning in July. Now he's banned.

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:29 am

Can we delete the posts? It feels ... tainted

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:43 am

Not worth my time. Feel free to get counseling. :)