Help me slim down my desktop

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DraGoNsLaYeR

Help me slim down my desktop

Post by DraGoNsLaYeR » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:13 pm

I'm moving from a house to a small apartment, and I'd like to slim down my desktop and I could use some advice on how to go about it. I also have a laptop that I use when I'm outside the house or just want to use my computer on the couch.

My case is really the main problem I'm trying to fix. I have a Silverstone GD05 (link) which is HTPC-type horizontal case, though I don't use it as an HTPC. It lives next to my desk and it won't suit my future setup because of it's large footprint. Here are the options I've thought of so far. Let me know what you think.

Option 1: Fit my PC into a smaller case. I like the Silverstone RVZ02 (link).
Pros:
  • Pretty cool case in terms of size and capabilities
  • Should fit my graphics card
Cons:
  • Need to buy a lot of stuff to fit into it: ITX motherboard, SFX power supply, slim cpu heatsink
  • Paying for all of that just to reuse my current stuff is pretty price
Option 2: Get a NUC
My current PC could go to a family member. I have an extra SSD that I can harvest.
Pros:
  • Most compact option
  • Family would appreciate the free PC (I hope)
Con's:
  • CPU is a step down from my current desktop class i7
  • Expensive for the performance you get
  • No real GPU so I must give up gaming (maybe this is a pro)
Option 3: Live with what I have
Pros:
  • Cheap
Cons:
  • It will suck. This thing takes up so much space. I can't put it on my desk. I can't put it under the desk. It has to live off to the side somewhere. Can I prop it up vertically? Maybe but it's really not designed for that at all.
Option 4???

Abula

Re: Help me slim down my desktop

Post by Abula » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:39 pm

If you plan on gaming and need the space i would move toward the RVZ02. You can build your family with the leftovers (case + PSU) grab a cheap H110 + G4400 should be more than enough for the usual emial/office stuff, mostly everything aside from gaming.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:31 am

To the OP: which are your current specs?

DraGoNsLaYeR

Post by DraGoNsLaYeR » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:48 pm

My current specs are:

CPU: i7-3770
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77M-Pro
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3
Storage: 2x SSD SATA plus various several external USB HDD
Case: Silverstone GD05

My hesitation with the RVZ02 is the Dan A4-SFX is coming out in a few months. This is a really interesting case because it fits everything the RVZ02 would in a much smaller package, except for an optical drive but that's fine.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:12 am

At first glance I don't think you can squeeze a fully fledged Core i7 in 7-14lt without paying some penalties in terms of cooling, heat build up and noise, particularly if you're adding a powerful GPU: OTOH your current case isn't really better for such a config. Are you actually aiming at a 25-30dB SPL (@load)?

DraGoNsLaYeR

Post by DraGoNsLaYeR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:52 am

I forgot to list my GPU. It's an R9 280 (non X). I may choose to take it out, but support for it would be nice just in case. How much heat and noise does an idle GPU add?

Quiet at high loads would be quite difficult on this, and it's not really my goal. What I want is quiet at a low load like while using web, office apps, and itunes. According to Open Hardware Monitor I'm usually under 25% CPU use for what I consider low use.