DAW on a Budget

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jeb.jr

DAW on a Budget

Post by jeb.jr » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:27 pm

I'm looking to assemble a budget Digital Audio Workstation.

I am a hobbyist and what I do is relatively simple, and I do not need the expensive stuff that professional studios get. I've been running Ubuntu Studio with a Core 2 Duo, but I want a newer, faster and quieter computer. I will not be overclocking or playing games.

I've already narrowed down the core components:
CPU: Intel i5-6600
Motherboard: MSI H110M-PRO-VD
Memory: 8GBx2 dual channel DDR4 2133 (from a reputable brand)
SSD: 480GB SATA3 (from a reputable brand)
DVD-RW: cheapest one I can find
Graphics: Integrated as there are no high-performance graphics requirements.

The ideal case would be a micro-ATX tower, or maybe a small ATX tower.

There's a remaining budget of about $120 US for the case and power supply, and maybe aftermarket CPU cooling.

Since I won't have a graphics card or HDD to make any noise, would it be better to:
Go cheap on the case and get a quiet aftermarket CPU cooler?
Or use the stock cooler with a better case?

What power supply is recommended? I've seen web-based power supply estimators say anywhere from 150 to 400 Watts!

quest_for_silence

Re: DAW on a Budget

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 am

That's the way I would do it: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sstfHN

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:02 am

quest_for_silence wrote:That's the way I would do it: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sstfHN
Smaller: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/HN73bj

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:54 am

Your planned build is one of the easiest in the realm of silence-seekers because you don't have any graphics card (the culprit of noise), nor any HDD (second to only the former). The total power consumption will never exceed 100W. Thus you can go for any decent PSU. For future-proofness, just buy one of Corsair RMi or RMx or RM whatever series PSU, all of which are rated no less than 450W.

For a budget-aware build, it is far better to go cheap on the chassis and get a quiet aftermarket CPU cooler, as you suggested. There is no need to invest in high-end chassis to this aim. By the same token, do not ever use the Intel stock cooler.

Now that you have taken care of two major noise sources: (i) PSU and (ii) CPU cooler, the rest is largely up to your personal preference.

The triviality of your build actually opens up "far too many" options for the selection of chassis. If you prefer a very compact build and have no plan to use a discrete graphics card whatsoever in the foreseeable future, there are many chassis which are compact enough and accommodate a slim ODD drive (DVD-RW). For example, Lian Li PC-TU100 is excruciatingly (in terms of builder's pain) small and supports a slim ODD drive. Note that the aformentioned Raijintek Metis does not support any ODD option. Also, have a look at numerous other options from Lian Li (their website is decent enough). To follow this path, you need to buy a slim ODD.

In case you do not crave a "compact" build and rather prefer to reduce the pain of building and mangement aspect as well, there are even more numerous chassis supporting a proper ODD or a slim ODD. For example, Corsair 350D is micro ATX chassis supporting a proper ODD and Raijintek Styx is another relatively compact micro ATX chassis supporting a slim ODD. I don't find it sensible to list all of them here.

In general, it is deemed to be more advisable to choose a slim ODD for a compact build. I also would like to add that, since the advent of Skylake CPUs, it has become very economical to have a mini-ITX build nowadays (which was not the case in the past) because there are now many cheap ITX motherboards by Asus and Asrock.

smasch wrote:DVD-RW: cheapest one I can find
smasch wrote:Since I won't have a graphics card or HDD to make any noise, would it be better to:
Go cheap on the case and get a quiet aftermarket CPU cooler?
Or use the stock cooler with a better case?

jeb.jr

Post by jeb.jr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:48 pm

I actually don't want a slim tower, cube, or anything with a window (kills radio reception--I like electromagnetic silence, too!) I'm looking at a more conventional-looking mATX case such as Fractal Design 1100 or 1500, Cooler Master Silencio 352, or maybe Antec NSK3180. Are any of these any good?

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:53 pm

You don't need to be a traditionalist because some recent chassis with fancy windows (which you don't have a liking for) indeed have decent airflows. For example, Corsair 400C, Corsair 400Q, NZXT S340, all of them accommodate two 140mm fans on the front, which I think is an essential feature for good ventilation. However, as far as I recall, they don't have an ODD drive bay.

The fact of the matter is that, since your planned rig has no moving part and it's practically trifling/trivial to cool any Skylake i5 CPU (even a very-low profile cooler such as Scythe Big Shuriken 2 over-deliver, as far as my experience goes), you can go with literally the cheapest chassis available. If you have to choose between Fractal Design Core 1100 and 1300/1500 (I think the difference between 1300/1500 is negligible), Core 1300/1500 has better ventilation systems because you can attach 140mm fans on the front and bottom (I forgot to remind you that most silence-aware people purchase separate PWM fans not included in the chassis). I think Fractal Design Define Mini is a better-looking chassis with noise-dampening material. However, all of these chassis are overkills, on top of your aftermarket CPU cooler, which is already an overkill for any Skylake i5. Thus you might want to go with one of the cheapest chassis looking better to you.

smasch wrote:I actually don't want a slim tower, cube, or anything with a window (kills radio reception--I like electromagnetic silence, too!) I'm looking at a more conventional-looking mATX case such as Fractal Design 1100 or 1500, Cooler Master Silencio 352, or maybe Antec NSK3180. Are any of these any good?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:53 am

smasch wrote:I actually don't want a slim tower, cube

Actually you were adviced for mini-towers or very short towers (sort of diminuitive version of the Raijintek Styx).

smasch wrote:or anything with a window (kills radio reception--I like electromagnetic silence, too!)

I can advice what Google Shopping and PC Parts Picker find in USA: if you can find the non windowed Metis or N200 in North America, it's up to you.

smasch wrote:I'm looking at a more conventional-looking mATX case such as Fractal Design 1100 or 1500, Cooler Master Silencio 352, or maybe Antec NSK3180. Are any of these any good?
The NSK3180 just sucks, sound/heat wise, as well as the Core 1000/1100 (top mounted PSU, 92mm fans).

The Fractal Design Core 1300/1500 sports bottom mounted PSUs and 120mm fans, so they're surely better: they're noticeably more expensive than a CM N200 (picked among the cheapest), so it's up to your budget. They sport what looks like a cut down version of the FD R3 fans, YMMV sound-wise, but it should be not that bad.

OTOH the Silencio 352 is the same chassis of the CM N200, with the same cooling options (the rather bad CM XtraFlo): given the closed panels, it offers inferior cooling prowess, but also some lining (often virtually useless), it might work well with an IGP system, and quietly providing you swap the stock fans (as on the N200).

jeb.jr

Post by jeb.jr » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks, guys, but I still have a few more questions...

Microcenter has a good deal on CPU/Mobo combos, but they do not carry the i5-6600, so my choices are the 6500 or 6600K. The K model has a higher wattage, but since I don't plan to overclock it, could I still use the Thermalright TS-120M or Big Shuriken 2? Or, with any cooler, how can I tell if it is powerful enough for the i5-6600K?

Without going into the Great Motherboard Brand Debate, I just want to know if any of the following motherboards have special temperature-regulating/fan-speed options in the BIOS, that are conducive to running a quiet system.
ASRock H110M-ITX/ac
Asus H110M-A
Gigabyte GA-H110M-A
MSI H110M-PRO-VD
I will be running Ubuntu Linux, so nothing dependent on Windows drivers will be of any use to me.

Where is the Scythe Glide Stream SY1225​HB12MS-RKP​ sold? Is this part number critical?

What is the best power supply I can do for under $40? Should I even go this cheap, or will it ruin my efforts at getting a quiet system?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:26 pm

Of the four mobo's listed, the Asrock would be my first choice. Intel NIC and better Realtek audio codec than what's in the Asus and MSI boards. Excellent BIOS fan controls. Possible downside is Asrock may limit voltage controlled fans to only CPU header (PWM or DC) and one chassis header (the rest are PWM) - check the manual.

Haven't come across a $40 PSU that I would recommend for a silent build. If this is for a live mic build, you'll want a PSU with passive or inaudible fan. Something like the EVGA Supernova G2 550W often found for $70. If it isn't a live mic buiild, then maybe the Seasonic G 360. It can often be found for $60..but while quiet it may not be silent.

6600K that isn't overclocked will end up very similar to the power use of the 6500.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:11 pm

smasch wrote:so my choices are the 6500 or 6600K. The K model has a higher wattage, but since I don't plan to overclock it, could I still use the Thermalright TS-120M or Big Shuriken 2? Or, with any cooler, how can I tell if it is powerful enough for the i5-6600K?
I see a rather limited advantage picking a 6600K without overclock, basically 30 USD more for 300MHz more.

smasch wrote:I just want to know if any of the following motherboards have special temperature-regulating/fan-speed options in the BIOS, that are conducive to running a quiet system.
ASRock H110M-ITX/ac
Asus H110M-A
Gigabyte GA-H110M-A
MSI H110M-PRO-VD
I will be running Ubuntu Linux, so nothing dependent on Windows drivers will be of any use to me.
If you will use all PWM fans the ASRock will offer you the most granular/flexible settings: if you have to mix PWM and 3 pin fans, the ASUS has 1 PWM and 1 voltage controlled header.

smasch wrote:Where is the Scythe Glide Stream SY1225​HB12MS-RKP​ sold? Is this part number critical?
This specific model might not be quite critical, but fans choice do is critical: if you have to buy from your Microcenter, the relevant offering (I mean, of good sounding fans) is rather limited (Enermax TB Silence, Cooler Master Silencio and Noctuas, mostly of them being not really optimal), so let us know if you can buy elsewhere.

smasch wrote:What is the best power supply I can do for under $40? Should I even go this cheap, or will it ruin my efforts at getting a quiet system?
There isn't an about 40 bucks (near MSRP) PSU for your need: yes, the PSU choice is critical, as it sports moving parts and may generate electronic noise (not to mention reliability concerns).

The cheapest unit on Microcenter is still the CM G550M (and it's just enough good, picked for your budget constraints): unfortunately they do not offer any MIR or rebate card, so price is even higher than from NewEgg.

jeb.jr

Post by jeb.jr » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:26 am

I am not limited to Microcenter. What power supply and system fan options does this open up?

BTW, there won't be any microphones. Most likely, I will do mic recording in a separate room.

jeb.jr

Post by jeb.jr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:55 am

So my updated parts list is here: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/C4jDxY
To recap, the overall goal is to squeeze as much quiet as possible out of an intel i5 system (sans graphics card) for $500. This parts list leaves about $50-ish for the power supply. I'm still deciding between the Cooler Master 550W and the Seasonic SSR-360GP.

If the power supply's power rating is too high, can it shut down or fail to start due to the low power usage of my system?

EDIT: Sorry, I keep editing because I find new information as I go along...
I've found a couple of other power supplies to consider, so now my candidates are these:
-be quiet Pure Power 9 600W. There are 500W and 400W versions but I can't find them anywhere.
-Corsair CX450M (it's got a new label, but is it really new, really better than before?)
-Cooler Master G550M. On sale at Newegg, last time I checked.
-Seasonic SSR-360GP. This one seems to be highly acclaimed, but right now it's the most expensive of the bunch.

What is good/bad about these?