Will this work (proposed silent PC build)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xnexus

Will this work (proposed silent PC build)

Post by xnexus » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:28 pm

My HTPC power supply is finally giving up the ghost, so I thought I would go with a totally new build instead of trying to repair the thing, since it's close to 10 years old. I want to go silent this time, so I've been looking at doing something like this:

Silverstone ML05 Case
AMD Athlon 5350 25W APU
ASRock AM1H mobo
Alpine M1 Passive CPU cooler
240GB SSD (Whatever I can find cheap)
No optical drive

The AM1H can take DC-In from a notebook power adapter, so there's no need for a power supply. Storage would be provided by a pair of external USB connected hard drives. With this build, I don't see any internal fans needed at all. Any problems with this that you folks can see? With no case circulation at all, would you expect the CPU to still overheat with the passive cooler?

Fire-Flare

Re: Will this work (proposed silent PC build)

Post by Fire-Flare » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:17 pm

You might be okay cooling that CPU passively, seeing how that case has a huge open vent over the CPU area.

Still, I'd monitor the temperature while it runs a movie or two.

If you want to play it safe, you could order a pair of low-speed 80mm fans and undervolt them so the CPU cooler has a constant supply of low-speed air flowing through it.

xnexus

Re: Will this work (proposed silent PC build)

Post by xnexus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks, given the location of the machine, I've reconsidered, and have gone with the regular Arctic M1 CPU cooler with the 80mm fan. I figure no PS noise and no case fans should reduce the noise enough.