mobo for microATX gaming system?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gigo

mobo for microATX gaming system?

Post by gigo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello, I am building a microATX system for some 1080p gaming, and am stumped on a decent quiet motherboard option. It has been a long time since I built a pc, so I am learning as I go.

Here's my tentative build with a ASRock Z170M Extreme4:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zFqBxY

Budget was going to be $1500 CDN, but I am a bit over already.

I am coming from a i5-430M laptop with a Radeon HD5870, which I would probably keep for a few more years if it wasn't so dang loud.

I chose the ASRock Z170M Extreme4 since it seems to have decent fan headers (4pin x2 cpu, 4pin x3case) and uefi fan controls. It also has ALC1150 for sound, which is nice. I am open to the idea of a cheaper mobo with an add-on soundcard if that might work. I thought against it though, since a cheaper mobo might have lower quality voltage regulator module (and more heat), and also the soundcard might disrupt air flow.

I considered GIGABYTE Z170MX-Gaming 5, another microATX with ALC1150. It looks like slightly less power (heat) according to this review:

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/gi ... iew,6.html

but I like that the ASRock has the intel LAN and more fan options.

I am open to the idea of another motherboard entirely, since I probably can't tell the difference between a lower realtek sound module.

I am also not committed to the GTX1060, and might decide to go with a GTX 1050 Ti.

Thanks for any opinions offered,

gigo

CA_Steve

Re: mobo for microATX gaming system?

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

For the 100 series motherboards, Asrock has awesome BIOS level fan control, while Gigabyte's is pretty lacking. If you want to control fans via Windows s/w, then Gigabyte is fine. Note that Asrock chassis fan controls might have 1 voltage controlled header, with the rest being PWM. MSI and Asus also have good BIOS fan controls.

Motherboard audio: If implemented well, the 1150 is better than 892 codec solution. However, if you are running digital out to a receiver or amp, or self powered speakers, then the mobo audio solution doesn't matter....and if the primary purpose is to drive a headset and you want great audio, you'd be better off with a USB DAC.

Note that the Kaby Lake chips and the 200 series mobo's are out. Mostly tweaks and feature adds...and Gigabyte finally added decent BIOS level fan control. Realtek intro'd a new audio codec as well. However, I'd wait 2 months before purchasing to let the usual intro bugs/firware/deriver updates settle out as well as the intro price gouging to settle down. One interesting thing, is if you are having budget struggles, The Kaby Lake Pentium chips this time around have hyperthreading, so they are essentially the same as a desktop i3 (or your old mobile i5m)....and you can get a fast clocked Pentium for ~$80. For most games, the GTX 1060 + G4560 would provide a great 1080p experience. ...and you can always upgrade to an i5 later...

Other stuff:

Case: If you seldom use the optical drive, consider the Fractal Define Mini C. If you don't mind a taller case, there's also the Define S.

RAM: If you go with a Z170 mobo, might as well make use of the unlocked memory controller. Look for 2400 or 2666 speed RAM if it's within a few bucks of what you've chosen.

Monitor: no feedback.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:05 pm

CA_Steve wrote:and Gigabyte finally added decent BIOS level fan control.

Where did you see/check that?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:10 am

I read a couple reviews ;)

Guru3D review of GA-Z270X Gaming 7.
fan control

KitGuru reviews Z270X-Ultra Gaming
"Gigabyte’s Smart Fan 5 utility is a visual GUI that can be brought up through the M.I.T tab. From within here you can set predefined fan speed profiles or create your own, set the temperature hysteresis between fan speed changes and pick a temperature input for the fan curve to follow. "

gigo

Post by gigo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for the advice, CA_Steve.

I hemmed and hawed about the G4560, but I think I'll just bite the bullet and pay a bit more now for what I really want. I will also admit to not wanting to wait a few months for the new chipsets to settle down. A fool and his money are soon parted?

Thanks for reminding me about the RAM.

gigo

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:42 pm

gigo wrote:Thanks for reminding me about the RAM.

Or you should probably go for an H170 or B150 board...