CPU cooler recommendations for DIY router?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jatismara

CPU cooler recommendations for DIY router?

Post by Jatismara » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Can anyone recommend a quiet CPU cooler for core i3 (54watt) that will fit an Apex DM-317-A case, without blocking any RAM or PCIe slots?

CA_Steve

Re: CPU cooler recommendations for DIY router?

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:12 pm

As noted in your other thread, there's no mechanical data for this case. You'll need to measure the clearances. Or, better...just try the i3 with the stock cooler using mobo fan firmware. You aren't going to stress the CPU...chances are the stock cooler fan can just idle along.

Jatismara

Post by Jatismara » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:24 pm

[quote="CA_Steve"]As noted in your other thread, there's no mechanical data for this case. You'll need to measure the clearances. Or, better...just try the i3 with the stock cooler using mobo fan firmware. You aren't going to stress the CPU...chances are the stock cooler fan can just idle along.[

Please advise exactly what sort of "mechanical data" is needed, and I maybe can supply it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Mostly cooler height clearance.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Easy way: email Apex customer support and ask for the CPU clearance height.

Harder way: Buy the case, mobo and CPU and then measure the clearance from the CPU to the case after installation...but if you've gone this far, probably worth trying out the stock cooler first.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:03 am

Frankly... I don't know what is so special with this case.
If you want a small case with i3 - why not to buy a second hand dell small form factor pc (or HP)?
Like - Dell Optiplex 390 Small Form Factor (SFF) or bigger if you need more extension cards.

Your case alone is around $50 and that DELL can be bought for $120 where I live.
If you won't be happy with how quiet it is - you can always buy some aftermarket fans.
But I've had one of those and remember it was pretty quiet - but I have to admit it was in office enviroment (not that quiet background to check if PC is "silent").

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:51 am

VERiON wrote:Frankly... I don't know what is so special with this case.

It looks like an Antec Minuet knock-off.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:28 am

Apex give the case width as 99mm from which would have be deducted an allowance for mounting the motherboard and some clearance with the case side. So around 90mm max would be reasonable. I suspect the number of CPU coolers of 90mm height or less is going to be somewhat limited. But it would include potential low cost choices such as the Gelid Solutions Siberian Pro that comes in at 89mm and is compact enough not to interfere with other components.