Silent, fast, 4k video editing system

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Niklas01

Silent, fast, 4k video editing system

Post by Niklas01 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:57 am

Hi! Do you have complete build suggestions, that is tested systems that outperforms this link in performance/silence? https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/27 ... ild-guide/

I will mainly use if for video editing (Avid Media composer), and a sometimes Adobe suite

Kind regards
Niklas

Abula

Re: Silent, fast, 4k video editing system

Post by Abula » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Niklas01 wrote:Hi! Do you have complete build suggestions, that is tested systems that outperforms this link in performance/silence? https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/27 ... ild-guide/

I will mainly use if for video editing (Avid Media composer), and a sometimes Adobe suite

Kind regards
Niklas
Whats your budget?
Where do you live? What online shops you have access to?
When do need it? new stuff is coming out, like AMD Threadripper X399 and Intel Skylake X, so wondering if you can wait.

Since you like Linus, you should also look into TRULY Silent Workstation PC with ZERO FANS - HOLY $H!T Ep. 13

Niklas01

Post by Niklas01 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:59 am

I think I'm going for

Power Supply: Seasonic 520W Fanless FL2 80 Plus Platinum
Intel core i7 without cooler
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero
be quiet! Silent Base 800
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

If something is a bad choice I appreciate input. Thank you!

Irrelevant

Post by Irrelevant » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Check to make sure the software you use is capable of utilizing GPUs for extra horsepower (e.g., uses OpenCL or CUDA). If it isn't, all that oomph is useless, and a GTX 1080 would probably be no better than onboard graphics.

And even if your software does use OpenCL/CUDA, you might still be better off spending your $/W/db on a better CPU, instead. Compared to CPUs, GPUs are noisy and hard to quiet, and parallel processing is really hard to implement, even with PCIe 3.0 16X, so you may not see the performance gains you might expect. See if you can find benchmarks for your particular software comparing GPUs/CPUs, as that will give you a good idea on where the price-performance sweet-spots lie.

Also, do you really need a full-size ATX mobo/case? Unless you plan to use more than two expansion cards, ATX offers few (if any) advantages over mATX.

For you, I don't don't think a fanless PSU makes sense. In fact, your noise-level/character may be worse with one, as it will radiate a fair amount of heat to your GPU, which (like all stock GPUs) has a very bad noise-cooling ratio compared to a quality, Platinum-rated fanned PSU, which will be effectively inaudible, anyway.

Additionally, while a 20% safety margin might be fine for a fanned PSU, once you factor in the effects of capacitor aging, dust accumulation, etc, there's a pretty significant risk a fanless will have overheating issues at some point.