first desktop in years, how do i make sure it is silent?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

eyigal

first desktop in years, how do i make sure it is silent?

Post by eyigal » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:13 am

So, it's been around 7 years since I had a desktop and at the time it was pretty basic since I got the PC power I needed at work.
I am now self employed and would like to purchase a desktop for documents, virtualization and research purposes. These are my current specs and needs:

i7-8700K
GA-Z370-HD3P Motherboard (for multiple screens)
32 GB RAM (either 1.2V G.Skill Trident Z or Corsair Vengeance)
Samsung 250GB SSD 960 EVO M.2 NVMe (For OS only)
Phanteks Eclipse P400S Mid Tower Silent Case,Tempered Glass (Not sure about this...)
Antec VP-500PC power supply (not sure about this either)
DWA-582 - D-Link
NH-D15 - Noctua

I have 4 or 5 additional 3.5'' HDDs and 1 x 2.5'' HDD that I plan to insert, at least at first to setup and consolidate my data.

Can you assist?

Thank you in advance!!

CA_Steve

Re: first desktop in years, how do i make sure it is silent?

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Welcome to SPCR.
for documents, virtualization and research purposes
Do you plan to have a LOT of VMs running at the same time or will your "research purposes" require 6 cores and 12 threads? If not, then the i7 is severe overkill.

Do you plan to overclock? (K part)

Are you in a big hurry, or can you wait a couple of months for CPU and mobo prices/availability to settle down, reviews to be read, and bugs to be squashed?

Are you in the US or...?

Budget?

Yeah - step away from that PSU. :)

What number of HDDs do you plan to consolidate down to? (case restraints)

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:51 pm

Welcome to SPCR after 7 years =P

Here some comments abou the components,
i7-8700K
Beast of CPU, but at the same time crosscheck you will make use of it, the i5 8600K is looking a very good option for people that dont take avantage of hyperthreading saving $100. Also consider Ryzen 1700X as a very good alterantive, though you would need a dedicated GPU.
GA-Z370-HD3P Motherboard (for multiple screens)
Im not very fond of Gigabyte, perosnal issues but i would recommend to go with something that includes display port, its the trend that industry is moving, MSI Z370-A PRO has VGA, DVI and DP.
32 GB RAM (either 1.2V G.Skill Trident Z or Corsair Vengeance)
I would go by QVL approved list of your motherboard, specially at the early release, not all memory is compatible, so to avoid buy something that was already cleared by them.
Samsung 250GB SSD 960 EVO M.2 NVMe (For OS only)
Beast SSD, the only comment that i have is crosscheck you will benefit from the higher sequential, as Sata SSDs will still give you the same feeling and you will save some money on a 850Evo.
Phanteks Eclipse P400S Mid Tower Silent Case,Tempered Glass (Not sure about this...)
I would recommend to check Fractal Design Define R5, specially since you have a lot of hdds.
Antec VP-500PC power supply (not sure about this either)
Corsair RM550X would be my pick, cheap and quiet psu.
NH-D15 - Noctua
If you are going with only 1 fan on the heatsink for for it, but if you plan on using a frontal fan, the memory might limit this. Imo its too expensive for what it offers, there are better alternatives out there, Thermalright Macho RevB, offer similar performance for a much cheaper price, the fan on them is very good and you wont have issues with the memory placement as the heatsink grows to the back flush from the CPU mount. Another good option is Scythe Mugen 5, similar design that it wont give you issues with memory size, but its a little more compact, personally i prefer the TY147A sound signature, but depends on each.
I have 4 or 5 additional 3.5'' HDDs and 1 x 2.5'' HDD that I plan to insert, at least at first to setup and consolidate my data.
The hdds will mostlikely end up as your noisiest components, so I recommend to move this to a server and not in your PC, if you do this you could even go with Fractal Design Define C for a more compact case, if you cant because of your VMs, then go with R5.

eyigal

Post by eyigal » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:06 am

Wow, thank you for the quick and thorough answers. I'm sorry for my late response. So, to the details:

Pre:
I am currently living in Israel. Weather here is warm and this is important since the AC is on when I am home but the computer will be on also when I am not.
As to the budget, I put some money aside for a while towards this and I am just trying to build the best thing possible for my needs right now. A little more here or there won't make much of a difference.
As to the availability, almost all parts are available here. I am ordering this through a company that as a service in the end will put it all together for me so it saves me that headache.

Processor:
I will be using the i7-8700K. I won't overclock immediately, but I assume that after about 18 months I will overclock.

Motherboard:
I actually had fond memories of Gigabyte. I will look in to the MSI mentioned.

RAM:
Great thought, I will make sure to get something from the motherboard's compatible list. (After finalizing the choice of the motherboard)

HDD:
I know it's a beast but "only for the OS" is never really only for the OS since many programs need to run from C in windows. As well, I chose the M.2 in order to leave the SATA connections available for the additional HDDs, at least at first.

Case:
I changed this to the Fractal Design Define R5 (white).

PSU:
I changed this to the Corsair RM550X.

Fan:
I will talk to the company putting this together to make sure everything will fit with the Noctua. The other fans mentioned are currently not available here and I don't want to hold back much. As well, I got many positive recommendations about the Noctua. My only thought would be to add fans to the case, I will check this now with the Fractal Design Define R5.

Additional HDDs:
I assumed that this will be the least quiet part. This is data from over 10 years of work so once I can access it all in one place, I will make sure to organize it and maybe move it in the end to 2 new HDDs that will work in RAID to backup the information.

Thank you so much for all the assistance, simply amazing!

Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:37 am

eyigal wrote:... the AC is on when I am home but the computer will be on also when I am not. ...
You don't want it to use lots of power when you're not at home then, and the cooling must be sufficient.
How hard will your computer work when you're out? Coffee Lake seems to draw quite a bit of power while working hard but not much in idle. Ryzen draws more while idle but less power working hard.

Also consider that Core i7-8700K is in very short supply over the next months, so prices are likely to stay high or even increase.

eyigal

Post by eyigal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:11 am

So, the Fractal Design Define R5 is currently unavailable at the place I've worked with until now.

Is there another case that will do the job or should I find a place that had it available?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:59 am

It does cost a bit more, but the Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 would be my choice as an alternative to the R5. The extra cost is offset to some extent by the fact that it comes with 3 PWM case fans and a built in PWM fan hub. If despite that, the Dark Base 900 is too much for the budget then the Silverstone KL07 is well worth considering.